Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: In need of desperate help --my kois are dying! :(

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by sav3406 View Post
    Queens, NY. that will be eight hours in the car for us.

hmmm.
    That's okay. You don't have to bother. I'll just tell my dad what he needs to do and hopefully he listens to what you guys tell me here instead of his own theories.

I'm trying to convince him to turn his pool into a pond because the current pond is too small but he said no way.

IF ever he would agree, how hard would we have to scrub the pool to remove the chlorine residues? And after scrubbing with soap, would marine paint over it be advisable? I'm thinking marine paint would bury the chlorine left on the walls if any are left.

But anyway, that's by a long shot to get him to give up the pool that nobody swims in.

Tosai
    any salt in the pond?
    If so, how much?
    When we buy new kois we so a salt bath. I believe it's 2.5 lbs. for 100 gallons of water (0.3% ???). I'm not sure. It's been a while. There's a salinity calculator all over the internet you can use.

Sansai
    Do You have a water tester, that will test the ph, ammonia, etc..?

Tosai
    Do You have a water tester, that will test the ph, ammonia, etc..?
    Yup. But we have the lazy man's 5-in-1 strips... not the tubes and drops.

Sansai
    just wait, the Koi bug has not betten your dad yet.

...Hang on tight, it's gonna be a rough ride for few more days, weeks, months or even this Koi growing season, for that matter.

Sansai
    regarding turning your swimming pool into a Koi pond. Please do your homework on that. I read something from this forum about, making sure not to have this "chemical" from the pool lining which it will kill Koi.

There are so many possibilities here that it is difficult to pin down the specific cause/effect.

First there is the obvious. The small pond is grossly overstocked and the addition of a few new Koi may have been all that was needed to tip things over the edge.

The combination of rainy weather (acidic water dilution) followed by compensatory water changes could have caused a massive ph swing down and then up again along with the potential for chlorine poisoning. Any and all of those things can cause wildly erratic swimming behavior, jumping, piping at the surface for air, etc...

Lightning strikes and/or stray voltage from a submerged pump are both possible culprits, at least in the case of the ones with suddenly bent spines. Submerged pumps can leak stray voltage into a pond much easier than you might think. I had a little giant submerged pump once that I found leaking voltage when I reached into the water and got a "buzz". Even though it was plugged into a GFCI circuit, it never tripped.

What is most disturbing is the fact that the "new" fish are the only ones that appear healthy. That points toward the possibility that they have brought in a disease to which they are immune but the others are not.

It could easily be any of these things or an unfortunate combination of them creating a "perfect storm" scenario.

As far as a Pool/Pond conversion goes, there are several on this forum who have done so and you can read details in the pond construction forum. Getting rid of the chlorine residue is much easier than you might suppose as it will use itself up after a few rain showers and the water goes green. Nothing nukes chlorine much quicker and cheaper than rain If you wanted to do a "quick nuke" on it a good dose of Sodium Thiosulfate is all you need. Here's a link to a calculator for proper dosing.
    CNYKOI - Sodium Thiosulfate calculator
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Sansai
    oh, by the way ...welcome to this forum, neighbor!

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    There are so many possibilities here that it is difficult to pin down the specific cause/effect.

First there is the obvious. The small pond is grossly overstocked and the addition of a few new Koi may have been all that was needed to tip things over the edge.

The combination of rainy weather (acidic water dilution) followed by compensatory water changes could have caused a massive ph swing down and then up again along with the potential for chlorine poisoning. Any and all of those things can cause wildly erratic swimming behavior, jumping, piping at the surface for air, etc...

Lightning strikes and/or stray voltage from a submerged pump are both possible culprits, at least in the case of the ones with suddenly bent spines. Submerged pumps can leak stray voltage into a pond much easier than you might think. I had a little giant submerged pump once that I found leaking voltage when I reached into the water and got a "buzz". Even though it was plugged into a GFCI circuit, it never tripped.

What is most disturbing is the fact that the "new" fish are the only ones that appear healthy. That points toward the possibility that they have brought in a disease to which they are immune but the others are not.

It could easily be any of these things or an unfortunate combination of them creating a "perfect storm" scenario.

As far as a Pool/Pond conversion goes, there are several on this forum who have done so and you can read details in the pond construction forum. Getting rid of the chlorine residue is much easier than you might suppose as it will use itself up after a few rain showers and the water goes green. Nothing nukes chlorine much quicker and cheaper than rain If you wanted to do a "quick nuke" on it a good dose of Sodium Thiosulfate is all you need. Here's a link to a calculator for proper dosing.
    CNYKOI - Sodium Thiosulfate calculator
    Wow. Thanks.

Very informative. I'll look into these. Though I'm pretty sure I haven't felt any buzz when I dipped my hand in the water, I'll look into it again. As for the overstock and the pond being too small, my dad doesn't believe me. He would much rather give up the hobby than destroy the current pond and reconstruct a bigger one OR convert the swimming pool.

We'll see.

Again, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Seanzky View Post
    Wow. Thanks.

Very informative. I'll look into these. Though I'm pretty sure I haven't felt any buzz when I dipped my hand in the water, I'll look into it again. As for the overstock and the pond being too small, my dad doesn't believe me. He would much rather give up the hobby than destroy the current pond and reconstruct a bigger one OR convert the swimming pool.

We'll see.

Again, thanks!
    It is truly difficult to convince someone with a small pond that it may be overstocked. We've been giving away small tosai this year to a few people, most of them with water gardens. Before we give any away we find out how large the pond is and help them select Koi in sizes and numbers that are appropriate for the environment. If they want more than we think safe we just say NO. I'd rather give the leftovers away for chichid snacks than have them poisoned in their own waste.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast