Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In need of desperate help --my kois are dying! :(

Tosai

Exclamation In need of desperate help --my kois are dying! :(

Hello, everyone. My name is Sean and I'm from NY. I've been keeping kois since I was in college but I've never encountered anything like this before.

Just last weekend, my dad (the one who is getting into the hobby of koi-keeping) bought 5 new kois to add to his collection of 17. All of a sudden all the old kois started dying. There are only 2 that seem to be normal while others that are still alive are flipping and swimming all over the place. We suspect that the new kois from the dealer might have something but we don't know for sure nor do we know what it could be. We're not even sure where to begin to assess the situation.

All the kois that have died so far (we're only down to 9 right now from 22) have had the exact same symptoms:
    -swimming at the surface with part of the head sticking out
    -flipping forward or backwards
    -swimming sideways
    -lying at the bottom
    -swimming fast, jumping out of the water, hitting hard objects (pump, wall, etc.)
    -first gasping, breathing fast then the mouth barely opening and gills barely flapping

What's wrong with them? What should I do? I don't know if I can take seeing this many kois die anymore. It's really sad!!! Please help!
    Last edited by Seanzky; 06-25-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Symptoms listed aren't in order of occurance.

Sounds like you added the new koi straight to the pond with the other koi without any QTing ?

Whats the gills look like ?

Anything happening with the new koi ?

Just trying to get things started , I'm sure others will jump in (Make sure your sitting when you start reading the post) .

Sorry , I know this Sucks

It sounds like the new additions were not quarantined before adding them to the pond, possibly bringing in a disease or parasitic infestation with them.

First off, are the new Koi acting this way as well, or only the ones already in the pond?

You mention that you have had Koi for some time, but your father is new to the hobby. How long has he had this pond, how many gallons does it hold, and what type of filtration does it have?

Do you have water tests for ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for the pond?

Do you have access to a microscope (400X or better) to be able to scrape and scope the Koi for parasites, etc...?
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Tosai
    No, they were not quarantined. Only the original kois are acting this way and dying. The new ones seem to be fine. Also worth mentioning is that it didn't happen right away. The weather here has been a bit rainy and sometimes with thunderstorms but the pond has a roof. My dad also obsessed with keeping the water crystal clear. He changed a third of the water every two weeks. The pond isn't that big. It's only about 600 gallons.

The gills look dark. Like maroon?

If it is transmitted disease that's causing all this, does the symptoms sound right? I mean, do fish act this way when new koi are introduced without quarantine first?

My dad uses a 5-in-1 strip to test. It doesn't say the salinity or anything besides the usual (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, softness/hardness, etc.) This pond is almost a year old and we only use a bio filtration.

In my experience, I've never had "nervous" and "jumpy" kois before. They were all trained in fact. They ate out of my hand and I used to dip in the water with them. These kois you can't even go near them. The swim away fast and hit the wall.

Also, I just remembered, another thing that they do is swim very awkward. Their bodies look like it's broken in half. When they wiggle to swim, it looks like the bend right in the middle is exaggerated. And no matter how hard they wiggle, they barely cover much ground. Like they're struggling to get to one place.

And we don't have a microscope.
    Last edited by Seanzky; 06-25-2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: The bio filter has UV.

Daihonmei
    please take a picture of your pond and fish. JR

Jumbo
    What's the timeframe that this has all happened in??? Your description sounds like chlorine poisoning. Was this suddenly, within a 12 hour period? Was it shortly after a water change?

Best Wishes,
    Brady Brandwood

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady Brandwood View Post
    What's the timeframe that this has all happened in??? Your description sounds like chlorine poisoning. Was this suddenly, within a 12 hour period? Was it shortly after a water change?

Best Wishes,
    Brady Brandwood
    Yes, there was a water change and I'm starting to think that you may be right. I'm not sure of the time frame but it was no more than a day or two after the water change. Is there any way to save them? How do they recover from this? How do I "fix" the current pond water? Any additives to balance it all out?

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    please take a picture of your pond and fish. JR
    Will do tomorrow morning.

BTW, I really appreciate all your help with all this --all of you who are helping me analyze.

IF possible, do a large water change now and be sure to add enough dechlor to cover the water you're putting back in. I'm assuming you're on city water, right?

Can you add extra aeration to the pond tonight?

Besides not QT, a major problem is that your pond is extremely overstocked. 600 gallons is barely enough for 1 koi. They can grow very large. The larger the koi, the more room and oxygen it needs.

I'm really sorry this is happening.

Daihonmei
    yep sounds like a poisoning...chlorine being the most common...
    if it is you need to make sure you have gotten the residual chlorine out of the system...
    But truth is all the koi will probably die. Chlorine poisoned fish can die days later, even if you have gotten the water quality back to perfect.

IF it is chlorine poisoning, You've burnt their gills/lungs

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast