Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Recovery from KHV

Recovery from KHV

I hear from time to time of hobbyst's who are hit with KHV and see the emotional pain of the loss. At the same time the possibility exists they will give up and leave the hobby or struggle to recover.

What role then does, can, should, your local koi club do to help them get back on their feet?

BB

In answering this, there need not be a reference only to KHV as I am sure there are cases where the hobbyst may experience a major koi loss due to another disease or natural disaster.

BB

Daihonmei
    I'd kinda liken a club member experiencing a wipe out and leaving the hobby to when a close friend couple go thru a divorce! You know one of them is going to leave the group of friends at some point and that the couple is going to be gone from the local block parties, card games, christmas parties etc.

It is only a hobby of course and not as serious as marriage and divorce but the same human dynamic does occur.

In both these cases, human support of the spirit is necessary and vital. No one can tell who will get back on the horse and who will move on. But in either case, the club members are the support group.

One of the great physological killers for hobbyists who experience a wipe out is the financial issue as koi are so very expensive to buy and maintain. And I have seen it get harder and harder for these hobbyists to 're-spend' the same amounts of money they spent for an original collection after a wipe out. The learned experience of pulling the trigger on a thousand dollar koi or two is often a result of the initial innocent experience and doing it a second or third time can pull at folks sense of the practical , especially after a wipe out.

Bottom line, I think this is a very personal decision for the unlucky hobbyist. But one thing is true-- if they are to gain perspective and get back on the horse, it takes the support of kindred spirits that know what the person is going through and feeling. So in that regard, club member support is a huge resource for the wounded hobbyist dealing with the question of " should I stay or should I leave this hobby?"

- JR

I don't know if there is much anyone can do beyond giving encouragement. Offers of free cast-offs will occur, and may entice some to get back in a bit quicker, but does not do much for the high-end koikeeper who stretched financial limits to acquire a collection. I think it puts to the test the reasons a person is in the hobby and the nature of the pleasure they draw from it. Such a loss brings on a depression of the spirit. Moral support means a lot.

I think the hardest part for me would be euthanizing survivors. It has to be done, but the guilt of my responsibility would be hurtful.

Different people well have their own specific needs about the little things, but the biggest universal one to me would be true friendship. KNOWING the individual(s) well enough to give them the support they need is a biggie.
    For many things like help with "burying the dead", nuking the pond, etc... could relieve a lot of burdens from a persons mind. A different personality type might be fine with that part (work is therapeutic for some) and they may take a more analytical approach. For them simply being a sounding board might be best.
    In any case helping them develop a plan of prevention for the future would be a big deal. A persons willingness to stay in the hobby can rest on the knowledge that they can prevent this from happening again.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma