Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: 55 gal filter help

Tosai

55 gal filter help

i bought a 55 gal drum this weekend and i am wondering what style i should use currently i have a up flow and down flow running on my other pond and they seem to contain the same amount of bacteria does anybody have any ideas on which is better. the pond is going to be 1000 gallons.the filtration is going to consist of a matala ez20 prefilter, king4 1200 gph pump, and 55 gallon drum, filter media is springflo

Nisai
    Are you planning to use it for biological filtration only or also as a vortex?

Tosai
    honestly i really dont know i was more or less thinking about a downflow with the 55 gal. drum stuffed with springflo and then light crate on top and some type of med coarse filter pad, due to the ease of cleaning it. so mainly bio cause the prefilter and the pad with do most of the work. but if there is a easier or more affective way or plan i am willing to change it also the inlet is going to be 1' and the outlet 1.5".please tell me if there is any other design or if this is not going to be adequate filtration i am open to any input.

Nisai
    There are some UK forums and also threads on here that detail alot of options and ways to do it. Opinions on these issues are as many as there are sunrises, and people keep finding better ways to do everything constantly.

Are you sure 1000 gallons will be the end size of this pond or are you hoping to expand it? What type of fish load will be in the pond?

I personally lean towards vortexes with some J mat pads in them, with bottom angled inlet, center draw from the top outlet, and a drain in the bottom center to flush it of settled debris, followed by showers of some type that falls back into the pond. Bacteria House is one kind of shower media, some have made them and are happy with the results of lava rock, oyster shells, and other medias.

My best performing filter so far has been a large vortex with j mat around an inlet tube that had lots of large holes drilled in it, followed by a short shower of crates to not choke the pump's flow, with a layer of lots of lava rock and Bacteria House media in each tray. The lava rock has to be cleaned from time to time to keep from fouling in my personal experience.

Tosai
    Here is the way I have my filter configured. Made from 55 gal drums in an upflow design. All made from PVC and bulkhead fittings. The setup is pressurized to about 1 foot and very easy to clean because everything opens up and it has bottom drains (which I wouldn't forget about for any filter).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 55 gal filter help-55gal1.jpg   55 gal filter help-55gal2.jpg   55 gal filter help-55gal3.jpg   55 gal filter help-55gal4.jpg   55 gal filter help-55gal5.jpg  

55 gal filter help-55gal6.jpg  

Tosai
    yes the pond will be 1000 gallons and i personally would want a downflow

Nisai
    I am assuming you are trying to keep in a smaller budget for this project, since you are using drums over premade filtration or a NExuss etc.

What I personally would do in that situation, and again many may have better ideas or ways to improve mine, is this.

Use the drum as a vortex. Leave it open at the top for easy servicing. Use PVC fittings for you tubing sizes you can find at a local hardware inexpensively, and a good sealer for where the tubes enter the drum.

I would place the inlet about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom, and angle it so a vortex spin is created. I would feed it from a bottom drain with gravity flow. I would place it on blocks as you see in the photo above from the other poster, so you can attach a drain with a hand valve on it to the bottom center. That will be used for flushing settled debris out of it. I would place the Springflo in the bottom with the matting on top of it. I would place a plastic screen on the bottom with 1 1/2" hole in it so the bottom drain doesn't flush the springflo down and clog it up. Then I would place the outlet for it at the top of the barrel and pump it from there to a downflow stack of plastic crates you can get at Walmart filled with lava rocks, and as my budget allowed replace the lava rock with Bacteria House media. Let it waterfall back into the pond in a way that creates good circulation both around and top to bottom. The stack of crates with water falling through would help oxygenate the water and help you be able to raise a decent sized koi in there. Outside of that I would be afraid to try to raise a large or expensive koi in it. That's my input hopefully you will get more.