Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZNA Southern Koi Association Seminar

ZNA Southern Koi Association Seminar

The ZNA Southern Koi Association held its annual seminar today. The focus was on fish health, and a good program was put together by Joe White, Henry Culpepper, and Richard & Luanne Porter. Joe gave a talk on parasite identification and treatment. Richard spoke on the Porter's experience with KHV, reporting some interesting data on research studies done on survivors of the KHV outbreak they had in 2005. Then it was time to learn how to draw blood for testing, followed by hands-on identification of parasites using microscopes.

Although the subjects were serious ones, folks enjoyed themselves... and the barbecue lunch wasn't bad either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ZNA Southern Koi Association Seminar-zna-ska-july-2009-007.jpg   ZNA Southern Koi Association Seminar-zna-ska-july-2009-021.jpg   ZNA Southern Koi Association Seminar-zna-ska-july-2009-024.jpg   ZNA Southern Koi Association Seminar-zna-ska-july-2009-026.jpg   ZNA Southern Koi Association Seminar-zna-ska-july-2009-030.jpg  

ZNA Southern Koi Association Seminar-zna-ska-july-2009-028.jpg  

Jumbo
    Darn, sure wish I was there especially to get ahold of Richard's slide presentation. i bet it could have used some interesting photos to spice it up.

Looked like an awesome time.

Oh, forgot... We were hosted by Aquatic Eco-Systems. We got to tour their facility where they develop habitat systems for aquatic animals being used in all sorts of scientific research ... genetics, drug testing, etc., etc. These systems for clawed frogs, Zebra Danios and pufferfish are intended to be as hygienic and maintenance-free as can be, so lab workers can focus on their research, not cleaning tanks and filters. One of the systems is now producing over 10,000 zebra danio embryos per week in a space the size of a modest bookcase. I was very impressed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ZNA Southern Koi Association Seminar-zna-ska-july-2009-009.jpg   ZNA Southern Koi Association Seminar-zna-ska-july-2009-011.jpg   ZNA Southern Koi Association Seminar-zna-ska-july-2009-018.jpg  

Nisai
    Man that sounds like a meeting worth going to, the Aquatic Eco walk thru seeing what it takes to work with that level of density in an aquatic commercial environment is always cool to see how it's done.
    Then the + + having a koi health program on site.....Way cool you guys.

c

The koi used for the educational experience were unwanted tosai from a flock spawn in a mud pond, and some really ugly pond fish from a pond that was being abandoned. So, what do kichi do? ...they stare at the ugly things until you pull them away!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ZNA Southern Koi Association Seminar-zna-ska-july-2009-006.jpg  

Less Jello -- More Education.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Oh, forgot... We were hosted by Aquatic Eco-Systems. We got to tour their facility where they develop habitat systems for aquatic animals being used in all sorts of scientific research ... genetics, drug testing, etc., etc. These systems for clawed frogs, Zebra Danios and pufferfish are intended to be as hygienic and maintenance-free as can be, so lab workers can focus on their research, not cleaning tanks and filters. One of the systems is now producing over 10,000 zebra danio embryos per week in a space the size of a modest bookcase. I was very impressed.
    Darn, sure wish I was there.

Looked like an awesome time.

you can read up on the procedure at the Porters' website for a very thorough overview of blood drawing and KHV information. See: www.koihealth.org
    blood drawing is not as easy as it looks, a great learning experience for all of us, glad I was there. Mike was telling the truth, those koi were so ugly nobody took any home with them.

An excellent gathering of Southeast Koi Krazies. Joe and Sherri, Richard and Luanne a true lesson to learn from them in class and in the class room. 300 6” tosai straight from a mud pond’s flock spawn in two tanks. 150 nice color kohaku kids with bad patterns, and 150 real mutts. Then there was a dozen of the ugliest rescued old guys in a two tanks, and I do mean koi. I asked Henry to pick the best fish in tank #1. “Sorry”, he said, “there is no best fish in there”. Actually there was one that was probably a metallic koromo that had a one square inch patch that was kind of interesting.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    An excellent gathering of Southeast Koi Krazies. Joe and Sherri, Richard and Luanne a true lesson to learn from them in class and in the class room. 300 6” tosai straight from a mud pond’s flock spawn in two tanks. 150 nice color kohaku kids with bad patterns, and 150 real mutts. Then there was a dozen of the ugliest rescued old guys in a two tanks, and I do mean koi. I asked Henry to pick the best fish in tank #1. “Sorry”, he said, “there is no best fish in there”. Actually there was one that was probably a metallic koromo that had a one square inch patch that was kind of interesting.

Rob, you are in luck. This goromo is still available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast