Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone ever eaten a "crap fish" ?

Do koi have brains?

Oyagoi
    Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    Yep i was thinking the fish in the first pic weren't Carpio koiio. So that is what Grass carp look like when they are laying on their side...

Now Brett, Why'd you bother keeping those redfish when you had all those flounder...I know you got enough reject koi to keep the cats fed and the 'maters fertilised.

And Another question..You got Green sunfish big enough to bother with? i ain't never.....
    I hadda split the catch with my fishin' buddy......besides, I like them reds "on the half shell" an' them flounders stuffed with blue crab. No way one of them cats gets ANY of that fish flesh.

We get greens ( they call 'em "slicks" in Arkansas) as big as your hand from time to time, nuthin' sweeter pan fried whole....

But, my most favoritists fish to eat of all is golden croaker. Way back when the size limit on reds was 12 inches, I liked them a lot too, just like a croaker. Big reds are OK, but not so good as the little uns.

When I catch a huge red, I turn it loose, even though I'm allowed two over 38 inches per year. The huge ones are most fun to catch, but hardly fit to eat.

I've eaten common carp, tastes pretty rough and very boney, but never actually ate a koi. If times keep like they been.......been kinda lean of late and I'm a gettin' hungry.....

We'll call them koi "Obama Hogs" when we have to eat 'em in order to survive.

Brett
    Brett

I have eaten many sanke and many kohaku if you know what I mean.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbreeder View Post
    I hadda split the catch with my fishin' buddy......besides, I like them reds "on the half shell" an' them flounders stuffed with blue crab. No way one of them cats gets ANY of that fish flesh.

We get greens ( they call 'em "slicks" in Arkansas) as big as your hand from time to time, nuthin' sweeter pan fried whole....

But, my most favoritists fish to eat of all is golden croaker. Way back when the size limit on reds was 12 inches, I liked them a lot too, just like a croaker. Big reds are OK, but not so good as the little uns.

When I catch a huge red, I turn it loose, even though I'm allowed two over 38 inches per year. The huge ones are most fun to catch, but hardly fit to eat.

I've eaten common carp, tastes pretty rough and very boney, but never actually ate a koi. If times keep like they been.......been kinda lean of late and I'm a gettin' hungry.....

We'll call them koi "Obama Hogs" when we have to eat 'em in order to survive.

Brett
    a golden croaker..is that what we on the Atlantic Coast call a Whiting?

and I just have a hard time eating a fish that I can't have a fillet of on my plate...and I ain't wasting time searching for meat at the dinner table...
    I will eat Whiting if they are big enough to fillet.
    The exception to the rule is..there is little better than a broiled "whole" baby flounder with some lemon squeezed on it. I can't explain it. I don't wnat an explanation..But I will eat it and lick the bones.

Jumbo
    Yes, Magoi.....but No, a rare "chines CRAP fish"....

I ate quite a lot of carp growing up in the 1960s. There was a commercial carp fishing lake about three miles from my house. One lake was carp and one lake was catfish. I think it cost a couple of dollars to fish and you would often spend that much more on tackle. Both lakes stayed stirred up in the Missouri clay. Supposedly there was a 25 pound prize carp in there. As you would expect of a commercial lake, people caught a lot of fish. And cooked a lot of fish. Today Id say, too many small bones and too much fishy taste, but with a 16 year olds appetite I devoured the free fried fish.

Oyagoi
    Just got back an' ain't washed the boat, yet....

No friggin camera, of course, so it don;t count, but caught the biggest flounder I seen in ten years today. My buddy, it was his turn, fried flounder at his house tonight, maybe he'll take a pic before he dresses it out.

For Luke, Atlantic croaker (Micropogonias undulatus) and whiting (Mentiairrhus americanus) while both in the drum family (Scianidae) are different fish. Whiting are every bit as good as croaker to eat. Both are common in the surf as well as in the bay.

Last I heard, carp fishing on the East Coast was as popular as ever. Some places have carp fishing lakes like we have bass lakes around here where folks pay to fish, catch and release.

Don;t know, but heard tell of an interesting fishing concept where members in a carp lake have a tagged carp, if one of them catches it during the course of the year they get $10,000. It cost $1000 to join.

When I was in Japan many years ago I saw several places where folks fished for koi, don;t thnk they ate them, though.

I also saw "canned nichikigoi" for sale, I think as a tourist item, but not sure of that either. I figured maybe that was whatn happened to koi when Malachite green didn't work.

If I get hungry enough and all I got is koi, well, bon appetite.

Brett

I tried carp for the first time this year. In my culture we eat gefilte fish. It is different kind of fish made into patties with broth. Usually eaten with horseradish. Most times it is made with whitefish and pike...and I like it a great deal. This time, I bought a different brand...and didn't read the ingredients. There it was on my plate...and carp was on the label. figured I had to try it. I wish I hadn't It had a lousy aftertaste...not good at all. Plus..my koi were looking at me funny for days. I felt like a traitor. I'll stick with the whitefish next time.

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

this video may offend koikichi, however you will give you a idea how Dick felt at his friend's dinner.
    YouTube - Speed Cooking- serving live snake and fish

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12