Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever eaten a "crap fish" ?

Anyone ever eaten a "crap fish" ?

a "chines crap fish" that is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever eaten a "crap fish" ?-hk.jpeg   Anyone ever eaten a "crap fish" ?-hka.jpeg  

I think Luke eats all his "crap" fish

a few years back

I visited withsome koi Food folks in Cali and was taken to a very high class Chinese restaurant. One of the courses was such a presentation that was prepared in such a way so that it was cooked yet the Carp was still breathing and when you tore off a piece of flesh with your chop sticks, the body quivered. All the chinese meals I had had before were americanized so you can imagine the trauma as I tried to not embarrass myself before my hosts.But it was a bit unsettling.....

Long as i'm rememising......was at a dealer when one of thier customers brought in a dead fish in hopes of learning why it died. He was told it was too late to scrape and they would dispose of it for him. he protested and said it would join the others in the freezer and when he got enough of them, they would invite family and friends over for a meal. I thought at first he was joking, but discovered he was serious. I couldn't contain myself and asked what he had treated the koi with prior to thier demise. I then got the medicine off the dealer's shelf and pointed out that it implicitly stated not to be used for food fish and went on to explain the risks he would be treating his quests to.

I know they use magoi in japan, but don't feel comfortable eating carp...remind me too much of my wetpets....don't have any qualms about
    trout or salmon
    Dick Benbow

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post

I know they use magoi in japan, but don't feel comfortable eating carp...remind me too much of my wetpets....don't have any qualms about
    trout or salmon
    Good one Dick, same here but I do like flounder and halibut, guess that makes me a cannibal.

Oyagoi
    I've done ate plenty of crap fish......

Grass carp like that in the pic ain't one of 'em, though. They aren't bad....big, easy to pick around bones too.

Now, you want a crap fish.....you need to try an' eat a buffalo fish. Mackeral sushi, fried spanish mackeral, yellow cat, mud cat, all of 'em nasty but edible if'n you're hungry enough.

Now fish like green sunfish, bluegill, crappie, blue cat, rainbow trout, among others are plenty tasty.

Needless to say, being around a fish farm presents unlimited opportunities to eat fish.

These fish here, ain't crap fish......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever eaten a "crap fish" ?-dscn0187.jpg  
    Brett

Where did you catch those Redfish and Flounder? That's good eatin! Cut that Flounder right down the center, peel the meat to the back bone and stuff that baby with shrimp and crabmeat. UUUMMMMMM

Dick, you're a better person than I am. I would have lost my lunch if I'd seen that. That is animal cruelty.

the way it was explained to me the fish was dead just treated in such a way that the nervous system was still working....still creeps me out recounting it....

Daihonmei
    Yep i was thinking the fish in the first pic weren't Carpio koiio. So that is what Grass carp look like when they are laying on their side...

Now Brett, Why'd you bother keeping those redfish when you had all those flounder...I know you got enough reject koi to keep the cats fed and the 'maters fertilised.

And Another question..You got Green sunfish big enough to bother with? i ain't never.....

Meg
    there was a video I saw from some place in China that had a cooking contest and the fish has to still be alive on the plate though gutted, scaled and pan fried with a nice red sauce
    a bit rough on the appittite

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    there was a video I saw from some place in China that had a cooking contest and the fish has to still be alive on the plate though gutted, scaled and pan fried with a nice red sauce
    a bit rough on the appittite
    rougher on the fish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast