Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Effects of Power Outage on Bakki Shower Filtration

Effects of Power Outage on Bakki Shower Filtration

I am not starting this post to seek sympathy from my fellow KBers. Rather, I just wanted to share my mistake with all of you so that those with bakki shower-type filtration may be forewarned. As many of you know, we have been having a heat spell here in the Pacific Northwest, with weather in the 100's. I came home from work a couple of days ago and realized that the power was out earlier in the day. I suspect that it had been out since noon based on the time on my alarm clock. I went to the pond and to my dismay, saw a dead koi on the bottom of the pond. I scooped it out and found out that it was my very high quality Matsunosuke showa. To say that I was bummed out would be an understatement. I really liked this koi.

I also noticed that the pump feeding my plastic trays filled with feather rocks had been running dry, so I restarted the pump. I attributed the koi death to the high temp and went on with my daily chores of refilling the Koi Kichii Buffet, watering the plants, and cleaning my filters.

The next day, I noticed that most of my koi looked lethargic and were resting on the bottom of the pond. I immediately pulled out my water test kit and began testing. pH in check at 6.8. Salinity in check at 0.2. ORP in check at 340. On to ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate...........ammonia at 7ppm, nitrite at 0.5ppm, and nitrate at 15ppm! Holy guacamole! I immediately pulled out my sodium thiosulfate and Clor-Am-X and proceeded to change out 1/3 of the pond water. I also emptied my Koi Kichii Buffet and have halted feeding altogether until my Bakki Shower is working again.

The lesson learned is that, unlike submerged filter media, the bacteria in shower-type filtration can and will die if not supplied with water for a short period of time. Therefore, if your shower has been dry, be careful and make sure to check water before continuing to feed. I am just bummed out because we have a very short growing season here in the Pac NW and I have to wait until my nitrifying bacteria are fully up and running.

Daihonmei
    Sorry for your troubles Lam! But the good news is your nitrifying bacteria are fine as that is not enough time to kill of the population. The pH drop is likely from the carbon dioxide build up due to the loss of oxygen saturation in warm temperatures and the respiration of the fish, in none circulationing water conditions, and would be restored with aggitation and recirculation or of course, baking soda.

The reason you are getting ammonia is not because of dead bacteria but rather the drying of the 'house' or matrix the bacteria live in. That structure is highly hydrolized and works by attracting charged molecules to its usually opppositely charged surface. This is non functioning now until some sections slough off and others get rehydrolized-- that should not take more than a few days and you will be completely back on line. In a week it will be like nothing ever happened. That is because you still have all phases of bacteria presence within the biofilm and they simply will rebound. In this hot weather, the rebound will be very quick. JR

Temps in the 100's Lam??? I've heard about this heat spell but no sympathy from me for the temp, since it's been more than HOT here in TX.

Don't you have the 2 nexus? Did the bacs die in them too?

Sorry to hear the bad news, Lam -- but thanks for sharing with us as there's a very important lesson to be learned here.

Everyone that doesn't have an auto-start generator or equivalent is vulnerable to the same system failure, so please don't beat yourself up.

And best wishes on a speedy rebound,

Lam: My Bakki is off about 4 hours every week when I do the weekly major water change. I have never experienced a problem. It is covered to prevent leaves falling in the trays, so also shaded from sun exposure. The media remains damp to the touch. We get temps in mid-90s all summer, but also high humidity. If not in direct sun, it takes quite a while for BH to dry in my climate.

Thank you guys. It is now day #4 from when the power went out. I finally had a chance to test my water again and here are the parameters:

Temp: 78 (from 82 two days ago)
    Salinity: 0.17 (from 0.22 two days ago - equates to 25% water change)
    pH: 5.6 (from 6.6 two days ago)
    Ammonia: ~ 5ppm (from 7ppm two days ago)
    Nitrite: 0ppm (from 0.5ppm two days ago)
    Nitrate: ~10ppm (from 15ppm two days ago)

I still don't understand why my pH dropped so much over the past two days. It's usually in the 7.4 - 8.0 range. I understand JR's comment about CO2 accumulation & O2 loss in warm temp and fish respiration, but to drop from the 7's down to 5.6?! I also heard that bakki shower-type filtration usually drives up pH due to gassing off of CO2. Anyways, I have added about 5 lbs of baking soda. Will test pH in about an hour to give the baking soda a chance to dissolve in the pond. I am more afraid that the nitrifying bacteria won't function effectively than a pH crash.

I have had a number of suggestions to use Microbe Lift PL to try and reseed my filters. Is this a good idea? Should I give it a try? Any suggestion is much appreciated. I just want my pond back in its normal state................koi are hungry and me wanna feed them.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    pH: 5.6 (from 6.6 two days ago)
    Lam-san, If possible, add more aeration.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Temps in the 100's Lam??? I've heard about this heat spell but no sympathy from me for the temp, since it's been more than HOT here in TX.

Don't you have the 2 nexus? Did the bacs die in them too?
    Ryan, I knew that you were gonna mention something about Houston weather! Trust me, I would rather prefer your weather over my weather any day. At least your koi grow year round whereas my koi only have a couple of months to stretch their length each year.

As far as the 2 Nexus 300 is concerned, here is my observation: I believe that bakki shower-type filtration is a much more effective type of filtration than fluidized bed and static type filtration. I know that I have had this discussion with a number of kichiis and they tend to agree with me. The reason why I say this is because I have had my filtration up and running for almost a year now and the k1 kaldnes in my two Nexus 300 is still relatively white (the biochips are very brown but my understanding is that these house 'micro-bugs' more than bacteria). This suggests that there is not too much bacteria growing on them.

With how much I was feeding my koi (two level bowls of Saki-Hikari daily - and by bowls I meant the 'special pho' bowls), one would think that the bio load would have to be pretty good to handle that much waste. I believe that the feather rock-containing bakki shower was handling most of the waste produced. In fact, I am starting to believe in them so much that I am most likely going to get rid of my J-brush filter boxes and installing another bakki shower......maybe I will try BHM this time.

Have you had your BHM bakki shower up and running yet? If so, then please observe and see if the K1 in your two Nexus got lighter. My prediction is that, even with your heavy fish load, they will get lighter because of the effectiveness of the bakki shower. Please let us know how that is working out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kindai View Post
    Lam-san, If possible, add more aeration.
    Thanks for the suggestion Junichi-san. I currently have a Dolphin AV-50 air pump providing air to both of my aerated bottom drains (ABDs). I will replace the air pump with one of my spare Dolphin AV-150 tomorrow morning. This should oughta give the pond water a good boil and koi plenty of current to exercise.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion Junichi-san. I currently have a Dolphin AV-50 air pump providing air to both of my aerated bottom drains (ABDs). I will replace the air pump with one of my spare Dolphin AV-150 tomorrow morning. This should oughta give the pond water a good boil and koi plenty of current to exercise.
    As far as I know, the more the pH lower, the more risky for beni of your koi, kohaku would be shiro muji, showa would be shiro utsuri , while hikari moro will increase sheen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast