Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Another rock bottom ?

Another rock bottom ?

Tranquility and I took a short little day trip yesterday to pick up a new liner for her pond and where admiring their pond displays and water features and ALL of them had rock bottoms and some had rocks up the gentle sloping sides!!!! And also how do they keep their water gin clear with no vissible alge anywhere to be seen. This isnt the first pond place to use rocks in the bottom that I have been to there is one here in Tulsa that has them as well.. Why do they do that if they are so bad for the fish and the water quality??????
    It is what it is until it isnt.....

Honmei
    [QUOTE=N2koi;141054]Tranquility and I took a short little day trip yesterday to pick up a new liner for her pond and where admiring their pond displays and water features and ALL of them had rock bottoms and some had rocks up the gentle sloping sides!!!! And also how do they keep their water gin clear with no vissible alge anywhere to be seen. This isnt the first pond place to use rocks in the bottom that I have been to there is one here in Tulsa that has them as well.. Why do they do that if they are so bad for the fish and the water quality??????[/QUOTE]

Because they do not know any better.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Hey, they're right down the road from me (as you know) and while they aren't an ADI franchise, their primary market is water gardeners. If you looked on the shelves you would have noticed the absence of bottom drains and effective water treatments used by most Koi enthusiasts. Pretty much a "pond in a box" retailer on steroids. Nice people to be sure, but a few years back I spent the better part of an hour teaching one of their employees the names of the Koi varieties they had in the sales tanks

If you had looked at the massively oversized filters running in their ponds with the huge UV units the "clear" water might had made more sense. What they run to SELL R&G ponds and what they actually recommend to their ordinary customers are not the same. If they ran what they sell they couldn't sell what they run

They sell Rocks, so they use rocks in their displays. If you go late in the day you'll see the yard staff doing maintenance on the mess to have it nice for the next day (I tend to get there late in the day when we go)

Great place to buy liner. Nice selection of plants for the WG. Very nice people. But last year when I asked one of their SENIOR STAFF why they didn't stock Koizyme/Pondzyme to help with aeromonas/pseudomonas (common Koi Killer in R&G spring start ups) he tried to explain to me that those two deadly bacterial strains were "beneficial filter bacteria"...
    'nuff said???
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Rocks in your pond? Rocks in your head!

Best wishes,

Wow, this is a serious forum! My understanding is that most koi hobbyists start out as water gardeners then transition over to being serious koi hobbyists. Even I myself have had to pay my dues when I built a bog filter above my koi pond only to dismantle it because my water was going out of whack. Now that the bog filter is gone and I have revamped my filtration, things are much better.......until I got complacent and never bothered to check my water parameters while I was feeding heavily over the past few months.

You know if they want to display water gardens that is fine...but, I'd really like to see them also have a couple of really deep proper koi ponds if they are going to sell koi...It would be nice for the customers to see both and make their decision....really neat place to visit--great price on liner...but, I think they would expand their business if they were to include a couple of real koi ponds..the watergarden with the beach was really cute-even had a dock and ladder of course looks like they had to block it off from the kids though...My mom now wants a mini golf course in her yard like they one they had....
    Lawanna

Quote Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
    You know if they want to display water gardens that is fine...but, I'd really like to see them also have a couple of really deep proper koi ponds if they are going to sell koi...It would be nice for the customers to see both and make their decision....really neat place to visit--great price on liner...but, I think they would expand their business if they were to include a couple of real koi ponds..the watergarden with the beach was really cute-even had a dock and ladder of course looks like they had to block it off from the kids though...My mom now wants a mini golf course in her yard like they one they had....
    Lawanna
    That would be their new "swimming hole" model They actually sell those not as Koi Ponds, but as Swimming Pools. Really. The owners built a new home about 15 miles from here 2 years ago and when they built an in-ground "liner" swimming pool they adapted the design for a swimmin' hole with a bog fringe

OMG....I thought it was a really cute watergarden...tooo funny they think its a swimming pool....
    Lawanna

Quote Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
    OMG....I thought it was a really cute watergarden...tooo funny they think its a swimming pool....
    Lawanna
    Sshhhhhhh!!! My wife wants one of the damn things

the one I saw yesterday was dirty....you couldn't see down into the water....and I want to know if there's anything else in there with me when I swim....
    Lawanna