Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help white spots

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Well, hey, we have to get you on the right track. Need you to try for baby grand champion at Central Florida Koi Show in March!

Seriously, you'll find the Orlando Koi Club members are good folks. Many with ponds no larger than yours, and some with high-tech marvels. All happy to share their experiences. Everybody has had sad times learning how to keep koi. All want to help others avoid the problems without the bad experiences.
    Thanks Mike, RobF told me he's going to let me know when is going to be the next meeting and told me about the folks too, that they're good people and you can learn a lot from someone else experienced, yeah I know that's the best way to learn and be in the right track like you said, Now are you serious about baby grand champion, how come, give me more inf. or some tips, I don't know if I have kois to go in a competition
    Last edited by ZUROBI3; 08-07-2009 at 04:28 AM. Reason: wrong word

I'm joking, sort of. I've not even seen your koi yet.

It is unlikely you have a baby grand champion in your pond. After all, a baby GC has to be an exquisite little beauty to take the honors. However, there are a dozen competition classes and some have only a few entries in the small sizes because koi tend to grow too fast around here. Out of 35 little ones, you just might have one that could compete in one of the classes. Some may not have grown too big by next March. So, maybe you cannot win baby GC, but you might get the blue ribbon for the best Bekko in size 2, or the best kawarigoi in size 1. I think new koikeepers can get quite a bit of enjoyment out of going to a show where they have entered a couple of fish. It makes it more interesting when you can see and compare yours with others. One of the things I would like for CFKS to do is move toward waiving entry fees for members of the sponsoring clubs. A starting point would be to waive entry fees for first time participants. Given economic concerns, I don't know if the 2010 show will be a good one for making a change, but it's something that will come up for discussion as our plans get finalized.

I went over to see Roberto and Zulma’s 4 month old 2000 gallon pond (6x12x4). Two bottom drains, leaf basket, pump, bead filter (Ultima II 4000), 40w UV, three returns to pond. Shaded, covered, usually locked down to thwart otters. 25 beautiful mostly small fish (kohaku, sanke, showa, ki bekko, doitsu soragoi, shusui, long fin shusui, pretty much one of everything)((I wouldn’t completely rule out baby champ on the sanke, classic tiger)). Ammonia 0.25, nitrite 1.0 : New pond syndrome.

After I Spoke with Joe White, I offered them confirmation of our earlier conversation. “ Joe was in agreement with our assessment that the bio-filtration had yet to fully establish. Since the ammonia level is low and getting lower treatment with the Amquel+ should keep this from becoming too toxic. The nitrite level is too high but manageable. The presence of nitrite is an indication that your bio-filter is trying to come on line, since it is converting the ammonia into nitrite, but the bacteria that then convert the nitrite into nitrate are not fully established. Some salt will keep the fish safe while this happens, 1lb to 100 gallons was his recommendation. Joe says to go a bit slower on water changes, maybe 10% a day or 25% every third day. Too large or frequent water changes when you’re trying to get your filter going can be counterproductive.”

The original problem that prompted their appeal for help was “white spots on a black fish”. Roberto caught the 14” jet black koi, upon examination it was apparent that 5 scales had turned white. The fish was in otherwise excellent condition (checked gill color for brown blood, negative).

Atta boy Rob for steppin' up to the plate
    Good to hear that all is well with the fish and no health issues. New ponds go through it, and it sounds like this one was pretty well designed on the first try

Thumbs up

Thanks again guys for all your help, tomorrow we're going to put the salt in the pond and do the 10% water change and keep waiting for the filter to get established

I want to give an update in the black koi, now he's completely black and more active than before, it was active before but now he's more active that's what I mean and the white dissapear, thanks guys

That is amazing. When we examined this otherwise jet black fish he had 7 scales that had gone white, not much gray mostly white. These scales were on both sides of the fish and mostly on or near the peduncle. There didn’t seem to be any sign of disease just white, slick, and orderly scale. The one curious feature was that although the whole scale was bleached to some extent the white spot which was roughly triangular had the point of the triangle pointing toward the tail. Since the color of a scale usually sweeps along the scale radii this inverted triangle was an odd effect. We should have taken a picture, but he seemed otherwise healthy and such a quick recovery of color was unanticipated.

I wonder sometimes if they don't just like messin' with us

Red may be predictably a "goner" once it leaves (99.9% of the time anyway), but melanin seems to have a mind of its own We have a dark Chagoi female who had several spots go whitish gray on us after spawning which I first thought may have been lost scales Unless she can grow large scales back faster than the speed of light it ain't so. There is no trace of lost color or damage now

I had a black koi out of last years spawn...totally black...then one day I noticed it had a huge white patch on its head...today---the black koi is looking more and more like a shiro utsuri..and it was a good 8" before it started turning..go figure .....
    Lawanna

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12