Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, My Koi has Acne

Help, My Koi has Acne

I currently have 6 koi in a 3500 gallon pond. Since the spring, my butterfly koi has white pimples on her fins and directly above her gill plates. I treated with PP in the spring since all the koi were flashing and I suspected gill flukes. I did 5 treatments over 10 days at 2 wppm. The pimples seemed to improve some, but did not disappear entirely. With the warmer temperature, there has been an increase in pimples. One erupted on her head and a fungus developed. I did 4 treaments of Proform_C last week. The fungus disappeared, but there was no effect on the pimples. In fact there has been an increase in pimples on his tail whith some reddening underneath. None of the other fish have any signs of parasites and are behaving and eating normally. This butterfly koi does seem to be somewhat stressed. Today, I did notice a clear anchorworm on his side. Could these pimples be anchorworm egg sacs lying dormat until the pond temps increased? The pond hit the 80F mark for the first time last week. I also suspected Ich, but the pimples seem to be too large, and none of the other fish are effected. Any ideas what this could be and how do I treat? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help, My Koi has Acne-img_3589.jpg   Help, My Koi has Acne-img_3591.jpg   Help, My Koi has Acne-img_3606.jpg  

The pics aren't very good but it may be Carp Pox.

I do have koi pox on two of my other koi. The first develpoed a waxy bump on her nose two years ago. The color is more on the tan side. Last year another devolped a patch on her gill plate. These subside quite a bit with the warm temps, but never go away completely. These white pimples look different to me and also are showing some redness which the carp pox on the other fishes never show. If it were ICh, I would have thought that 4 treatments with ProForm C should have worked. Also when I PP the pond a few months back, I did notice an improvment.

Time to scrape and scope. To difficult for my poor eyes to tell much from the pix, but the bumps are clearly visible on the tail fin shot.

After 4 ProForm C treatments plus PP, be attentive to water quality. That's a lot of chemicals for beneficial bacteria and the koi.

Meg
    looks like slim coat sloghing off to me
    have you checked your water quality?
    and you need to scrape and scope.

Thanks Mike, but I pp in early June and used the ProformC last week when I noticed one of the pimples developing a fungus. I also thought maybe she had a stubborn case of Ich. There are no pimples on any scaled part of her. Mainly just the caudal, dorsal and pectoral fins. Also a cluster of pimples near the top of both gill plates. This is the third summer I've had the pond with these fish and have never had any issues other than the carp pox. In fact I had a flock spawn this Thursday and Friday with two different females.

How do I go about scraping her? She is about 22-24" long. Is it a two man job? Do I hold her down on a wet towel and scrape with a credit card? Should I put her to sleep first? I have clove oil. Since I'm going through the stress of catching her, do I put on a topical solution? What about dapping the pimples with pp. Should I give her a 30 minute salt bath or another dip in ProformC? I don't have a quarantee tank yet, but I have a 15 gallon container I could put her in for 30 minutes or so.
    Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help, My Koi has Acne-img_3580.jpg   Help, My Koi has Acne-img_3615.jpg  

"Scrape and Scope" as in capture, sedate, scrape the affected area with a microscope slide, and examine the slide under a microscope to look for parasites, fungus, etc... Using some PP paste may be appropriate as a topical, but it would be better to know what you are dealing with first.

O.K., I was just reading that clove oil can actually kill the fish if not done properly. Also, I've not scaped a fish before. I think it would probably be better if someone who has done this before can assist me. Is there anyone in the central NJ area?

Well, I should have waited for someone who knew what they were doing.
    Fish is deceased.

Since I netted her, I decided on giving her a 2% salt bath for 10 minutes.
    Put her back in the pond and she never recovered. Just floated to the top and had trouble breathing. I don't really understand. I give my discus 3% salt baths all the time and when I put them back in the tank the dart around for 30 seconds and then settled right down. Took her out of the pond when I saw she had difficulty breathing and put her back into the tub with fresh pond water and tried to move water through her gills to no avail. At the end, blood did come out from her gills and the gills looked almost black in some areas. Has anyone else had bad experiences with salt baths?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast