Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone been to California Koi Farms in Fallbrook?

Tosai

Unhappy California Koi Farms

Yes, I too have been to Eastern and seen a dead Koi in their sales tanks. I have been to a couple of Koi places and have seen a dead Koi here and there. These fish were all small 3 to 5 inches. A couple of losses are unfortunate but normal.

What I saw at California Koi Farms was not a couple of dead fish. In a drainage ditch from his breeding and stock tanks there was 18 dead Koi and another 15 to 20 laying there dying. All these fish were over 10 inches. Most looked like they were 12 to 15 inches long. These were not fry or young Koi, these were not new imports, these were fish being neglected and left to suffer.

Next time you go to California Koi Farms don't go straight up the hill to his shop, Park down at the bottom of the hill and walk, before you go to the top of the hill turn left down the road and walk through their mud ponds, go up to their breeding tanks and look around. Then you will see the true condition of his operation.

I understand the economy hurting businesses, everyone has been hit. What most people have done though is condensed and downsized. He could have easily moved those Koi from the back tanks up to his front tanks and completely shut down the back area, instead he chose to leave them there.

I personally will not be going back there. I will not buy Koi from there and I will definitely discourage others from buying there Koi from there as well.

If you dont want to buy koi from there, then dont buy from there, but dont try to ruin someones business. I have been all over that farm, and havent seen any koi left out just suffering. Did you even care to ask why they were left out? Possibly wounded from birds or other critters from the area? Ive seen wounded koi in his sale tanks because a bird got threw the netting and wreked havok while he wasnt paying attention. If your going to try to ruin a koi farm for something, I really hope you were brave enough to ask why you saw what you did. Im sure there was some sort of explenation. Maybe even a few that he had missed while draining the mud pond? As a matter of fact I'll ask him myself tomorrow when I go pick up my Goshiki hes been holding on to for me.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by d_mer View Post
    If you dont want to buy koi from there, then dont buy from there, but dont try to ruin someones business. I have been all over that farm, and havent seen any koi left out just suffering. Did you even care to ask why they were left out? Possibly wounded from birds or other critters from the area? Ive seen wounded koi in his sale tanks because a bird got threw the netting and wreked havok while he wasnt paying attention. If your going to try to ruin a koi farm for something, I really hope you were brave enough to ask why you saw what you did. Im sure there was some sort of explenation. Maybe even a few that he had missed while draining the mud pond? As a matter of fact I'll ask him myself tomorrow when I go pick up my Goshiki hes been holding on to for me.
    I am not trying to ruin his business. In fact if you look back at my earlier post I was encouraging people to help with his business.

Quote Originally Posted by koi-kichi View Post
    Takemi is probably to proud to accept help, but it would be great to see a couple of Koi Clubs "adopt" his koi farm and volunteer to help work it. Maybe help promote it, do auctions, something to help this place survive. I would love to see it get back to full operation and be a thriving koi farm again.
    I am not trying to hurt or ruin his business, but it would be wrong of me to have seen what I have seen and not let people know about. Let just say for the sake of argument he had valid reasons for everything I saw that day (We did try and ask him about it, he got very defensive and upset, so we left) and I am completely wrong with everything I said. People will go there to see for themselves, see that I was wrong and purchase the koi figuring I am some idiotic kook. On the other hand if I am right and did not speak up, and someone was enamored with a koi they just had to have, bought it, and it dies shortly after bringing it home, or worse kills off their collection. Then I am just as at fault as he is for not speaking up.

I do not wish anyone to close there business, or lose their families life work. I would love to see this farm get back to the greatness it once was. I also am very selective and very picky about the koi I purchase and add to my collection. So as for me, seeing what I saw I could not in good faith purchase from there. That's just my opinion. I do wish you well with you Goshiki, and I hope you follow a good QT process as you would for any new fish purchase.

Yes, I too have been to Eastern and seen a dead Koi in their sales tanks. I have been to a couple of Koi places and have seen a dead Koi here and there. These fish were all small 3 to 5 inches. A couple of losses are unfortunate but normal.
    You have to remember this is a Koi farm and not a retail outlet, it is unfortunate that there are loses but this normal for a open farm as his. If you look at the % of what you saw to the 10,000 Koi in just one mud pond then its a very low %. This could have been jumpers, preditors,culled for deformities,stabbed by heron's and the reasons go on.

Takemi is probably to proud to accept help, but it would be great to see a couple of Koi Clubs "adopt" his koi farm and volunteer to help work it. Maybe help promote it, do auctions, something to help this place survive. I would love to see it get back to full operation and be a thriving koi farm again.
    Well there you go......you can either be part of the problem or you could be part of the soulution. Why not personlly get involved learn a little more about how a Koi farm works and if you are a member of a Koi club suggest it at a meeting.

I have known Takemi for going on close to 20 yrs and yes from what he had 15 yrs ago to now it has has been a uphill battle, it has been for everyone. But lets not beat up on any one......this is your opinon and thats fine........by the way the KCSD has there auction there every year and also picnic and also get involved as a group in seining out a mud pond to learn more about how the process works. Your more then welcome to contact our club and get involved.

Yes I would agree everyone needs to QT no matter where you buy from. I have not heard of any cases of KHV coming out of Takemi's farm...so that's saying something in itself.

Here are a few pics fron about 1 month ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has anyone been to California Koi Farms in Fallbrook?-dscf1832.jpg   Has anyone been to California Koi Farms in Fallbrook?-dscf1831.jpg   Has anyone been to California Koi Farms in Fallbrook?-dscf1834.jpg   Has anyone been to California Koi Farms in Fallbrook?-dscf1842.jpg   Has anyone been to California Koi Farms in Fallbrook?-dscf1843.jpg  

Has anyone been to California Koi Farms in Fallbrook?-dscf1836.jpg   Has anyone been to California Koi Farms in Fallbrook?-dscf1835.jpg  
    Koiman™
    CDKPA

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by KDSD View Post
    You have to remember this is a Koi farm and not a retail outlet, it is unfortunate that there are loses but this normal for a open farm as his. If you look at the % of what you saw to the 10,000 Koi in just one mud pond then its a very low %. This could have been jumpers, preditors,culled for deformities,stabbed by heron's and the reasons go on.

Well there you go......you can either be part of the problem or you could be part of the soulution. Why not personlly get involved learn a little more about how a Koi farm works and if you are a member of a Koi club suggest it at a meeting.

I have known Takemi for going on close to 20 yrs and yes from what he had 15 yrs ago to now it has has been a uphill battle, it has been for everyone. But lets not beat up on any one......this is your opinon and thats fine........by the way the KCSD has there auction there every year and also picnic and also get involved as a group in seining out a mud pond to learn more about how the process works. Your more then welcome to contact our club and get involved.

Yes I would agree everyone needs to QT no matter where you buy from. I have not heard of any cases of KHV coming out of Takemi's farm...so that's saying something in itself.

Here are a few pics fron about 1 month ago.
    As I have stated before I am not trying to bash anyone or hurt anyone's business. My initial post was shortly after being there and my initial reaction was total shock! I have visited other koi farms and had not seen this same type of issues, maybe they were just better at hiding them. I am glad to hear though from these responses that people have had much better experiences there than my initial visit. My reason for starting this thread was to see if other people had the same thoughts or concerns about the place as I did, and from what I have read here, It seems I visted at a very off time.

I would love to be able to help out at his koi farm and learn more about the operations. I did not know about the KCSD's involvement there. I live in Perris (Riverside). The local koi club here Inland Koi Society doesn't seem to be involved with California Koi Farm.

Thanks Mark for chiming in. I saw my goshiki in your pic, and I'm still thrilled about my purchase.

As for Takemi getting defensive.. Ive pointed a few things out to him and he has never got upset. Hes always been very quick to fix any issue that is pointed out to him. I have purchased many Koi from him and have never had an issue with my koi dying that I wasnt at fault for. Like I said previously, If you dont want to purchase Koi from there then dont. I am very happy with anything I have bought. I have a HI Shusui I got from there a little over a year ago and hes grown well over 8 inches in that time. I will once again offer my help there and will be doing whatever I can. Takemi has always been willing to sit down in his office with me and discuss whatever questions I have had about Koi keeping. So I take offense to someone slamming him. I consider him to be one of two Koi mentors for me (the other is here as well). Ive even been there when someone brought their prized Koi to him to treat for an Illness.

But for the record, What other KOI FARMS have you been too???

Tosai
    Thanks Mark for chiming in. I saw my goshiki in your pic, and I'm still thrilled about my purchase.
    Wow! You have some very good eyes or I need new glasses (probably the latter) cause I did not see a goshiki in those pics.

Listen I am not here to fight with you or anyone else. I have appologized and stated repeatedly that I am not trying to bash anyone or hurt his business.

I appologize if it sounded like I was putting Takemi down, that was not my intentions.
    I am not trying to ruin his business. In fact if you look back at my earlier post I was encouraging people to help with his business.
    As I have stated before I am not trying to bash anyone or hurt anyone's business.
    I have also said
    My reason for starting this thread was to see if other people had the same thoughts or concerns about the place as I did, and from what I have read here, It seems I visted at a very off time.
    I am glad you have good experiences there and that you have purchased healthy fish from there. That simply wasn't my experience. Maybe he was having a bad a day when we inquired, I don't know, it happens, but I was there, as well as my wife, and two other couples. We all walked away having the same feelings.

But for the record, What other KOI FARMS have you been too???
    Since you asked for the record, I have been to four other farms. I live 5 minutes from Harrison's Koi Farm and go there quite often. I have also been to Hammock Koi Farm in Tenessee, Lee Family Koi Farm in Ohio, and Hanover Koi Farm in Pensylvania.

With my job I am fortunate enough to travel around the world, I make it a point to try and visit koi shops and farms in the places I travel to. Unfortunately I have yet to be able to a visit any Japanese Koi Farms yet. However I am going to Japan next year so I am hoping to be able to.

Daihonmei
    I first visited the farm in 1989. Takemi was a young man and just married ( or soon to marry, I can't remember which) as his dad wanted him to settle down! lols.
    The farm was a dream of his father, a very Japanese man interested in creating the a major Japanese farm right in America while he remained mostly in Japan. Many an issue about Adachi San, his knowledge and dreams was posted in both Rinko ( then the ZNA offical magazine) and the earlest KOI USA issues in the 1980s.
    It was an exciting place at the time- being the only really direct Japanese koi farm ( the was also Golden ponds then or within a few of years of Adachi's farm. The other operation was of course Mark George ( representing Konishi). I remember marveling at the tanks and tanks of bright yellow Yamabuk and vivid Hi utsuri! Those were the early days. JR

Wow! You have some very good eyes or I need new glasses (probably the latter) cause I did not see a goshiki in those pics.
    Must need glasses...........almost dead center.

Tosai

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mstrseed View Post
    Must need glasses...........almost dead center.
    I told you I need new glasses! LOL

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast