Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone been to California Koi Farms in Fallbrook?

Tosai

Angry Has anyone been to California Koi Farms in Fallbrook?

My wife and myself visited California Koi Farms for the first time today. Let me tell you, this was the most heart wrenching visit I ever had to a "Profesional" koi farm.

You can tell at one time this must have been a great operation. They have several large mud growth ponds, several stock cement ponds, and a "store" area with smaller sale ponds.

It was really sad seeing how this owner, who must of cared about Koi at some point, let the place go. Several of the mud ponds were completely dried up. Most of the stock ponds were either empty with dead bull frogs in them or had little to no water flow/filtration. Most of the fish looked to be in very poor health, with dead fish being almost every pond.

This was an extremely sad day for me seeing this.

Here is there web page Koi Farm Homepage

Quote Originally Posted by koi-kichi View Post
    My wife and myself visited California Koi Farms for the first time today. Let me tell you, this was the most heart wrenching visit I ever had to a "Profesional" koi farm.

You can tell at one time this must have been a great operation. They have several large mud growth ponds, several stock cement ponds, and a "store" area with smaller sale ponds.

It was really sad seeing how this owner, who must of cared about Koi at some point, let the place go. Several of the mud ponds were completely dried up. Most of the stock ponds were either empty with dead bull frogs in them or had little to no water flow/filtration. Most of the fish looked to be in very poor health, with dead fish being almost every pond.

This was an extremely sad day for me seeing this.

Here is there web page Koi Farm Homepage
    We have been to Takemi's many times over the years. I know from talking with him last year, that the economy has really hurt him badly.

It brakes my heart to hear that the farm and family have suffered so much.

I had heard that he was selling the farm last year, I don't know how true that was, one thing is for sure if he did sell it he would be living the life of a king, just the property alone is worth millions. He has had many offers over the years for that choice peace of real estate, and has always turned the offers down.

Takemi has much honor and tradition in his blood, I would not be surprised to hear that he is working the farm the best he can, till the economy picks up.

Do fish farms get a tax break in California?

Quote Originally Posted by kingkong View Post
    Do fish farms get a tax break in California?
    Yeah. They'll break if off just as deep up your azz as they possibly can

I believe Cal government had a nasty little clause that nixed agriculture exemption to purely ornamental fish farms and fish grown for exibition. I hope I am wrong.

Tategoi
    I am not that far from Fallbrook (maybe an hour drive or so). I should pay a visit to this place while it is still functioning.

I do not know the all the details of such a business, but a co-worker of mine owns a small avocado farm in the Fallbrook area. Due to increasingly tight restrictions of water usage, he has had to make several "culls" of his avocado trees. He is currently supporting only about 1/3 of the trees that he had on that land at one time. He has paid significant money to have his land re-classified as a primarily agricultural operation (no residence on the land), but -- with respect to water -- he is still paying more and getting far less than he was a few years ago.

I am curious if water restrictions are not also significantly hindering this Koi business?

As a fellow avocado farmer, I feel his pain. If my water was metered it would be sianara time.

619 Guy. Member of the Koi Club of San Diego

Walk in their shoes...

Nancy M. stated it best:

"Takemi has much honor and tradition in his blood, I would not be surprised to hear that he is working the farm the best he can, till the economy picks up".

Enough said.

Daihonmei
    i know this is a pretty juvenile statement but...has he treid hooking up with a Plant grower to "buy" his water (if that is the problem), and to get arounf the "only ornamentals"... start part of the business selling carp to the asian Population..
    And we had the mirror image of that here with a lotus hybridizer... Slocum's...he WAS the bomb...i went there about 5 years ago and most of the sales tanks were empty and if you walked around you could see some other buildings that were still functional yet hadn't been used or taken care of for years

Tosai

Lightbulb

I appologize if it sounded like I was putting Takemi down, that was not my intentions.

My point was how sad it was to see the place so run down, and to see all those dead Koi. One drainage area had about 18 to 20 dead koi in it and another 10 to 15 dying. It is a very sad state of being right now.

Takemi is probably to proud to accept help, but it would be great to see a couple of Koi Clubs "adopt" his koi farm and volunteer to help work it. Maybe help promote it, do auctions, something to help this place survive. I would love to see it get back to full operation and be a thriving koi farm again.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast