Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: skippy filter modifications

Fry

skippy filter modifications

I want to use a skippy filter, and have seen mention at this site that there are better, less labor involved, ways to set one up.

Can you show me your plans, and or your modifications? I want to use the 150 gallon size.

Are you setting up this type of system for a water garden or a koi pond?

I used to use one. A few things to make it better for koi. The scrubber pads are a pain to clean. Use sheets of matala or J-Mat. Do not do as they say...and don't clean them. Regular maintenace is important. You do not need a pile of muck at the bottom and an anaerobic condition. If you do use the scrubber pads...put them in a laundry mesh bag. So, you can take them out and hose them off as needed. Bottom line...keep it clean and well maintained and it will work fine. How big is the pond...how many koi...etc???

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    I used to use one. A few things to make it better for koi. The scrubber pads are a pain to clean. Use sheets of matala or J-Mat. Do not do as they say...and don't clean them. Regular maintenace is important. You do not need a pile of muck at the bottom and an anaerobic condition. If you do use the scrubber pads...put them in a laundry mesh bag. So, you can take them out and hose them off as needed. Bottom line...keep it clean and well maintained and it will work fine. How big is the pond...how many koi...etc???

My current setup is with this style filter. It has worked well for me, but it does require a lot of maintenance when used with koi. I still use the scrubber pads along with matala as the bio medium. The scrubber pads are difficult to clean, the matala is not.

If a settlement chamber of sorts could be fitted in before reaching the pump that feeds the filter, that would be something to consider. I have thought of modifying my current set up to include a SC. But, as I am wanting a larger pond, I am focused on its design at the moment and since the current setup I have is ok for now, that is not where I want to be in the near future.
    "...no matter how you look at it, Mother Nature still makes the rules."

Fry

skippy modifications

I am aiming for a pond of 1500-2000 gallons, and have also thought of the matala, the japanese matting, and new floor scrubber pads for the media.

I would like to get a blue barrel to use as a settling chamber, but am afraid my pump will be too strong to allow for settling. I am buying things piece meal on sale, and have a 4500 pump for my skimmer. I have tried the small squares of filter, and find them impossible to clean if they are dense.

I don't want to have a bottom drain due my water table is right under the soil, and I do not have the dollars to run a french drain to the street. I plan to do a half in the ground pond, with walls about 2 1/2 feet tall. I like the idea of the retro fit bottom drain.

I also want to know if the skippy is mainly a mechanical filter, or if I can use it as my bio filter also. I have had my pond of 750 gallons for 25 years with 15 koi and 3 gold fish with only the medium Tetra barrel filter.

I really like the pebble filter 15 inches deep, planted with bog plants, and at least 1/3 the size of the pond. It seems this is not a desirable addition to a 'real' koi pond, but I like the bog plants.

Will the pebble plant bog filter be of any assistance?

Thanks!!

Sansai
    Any filter with any media will be a bio-filter. Different styles of flow and construction determine what type of filter it is from there.