Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sick koi

Quote Originally Posted by KoiKisses View Post
    Zurobi,

I know this is a difficult time for you as you love your koi just as we love ours. I think I speak for many koikeepers when I say 'we have all had to make difficult decisions in the past', so don't feel alone. In time, you and your koi will find a balance, and all will be ok.

Wishing you the best,

KoiKisses

HI KOIKISSES;

Thanks for your support and you're right about that, all I can say is we're try hard to make it work and so far is working and we're not giving up, specially when they look healthy and happy trust me, hey who knows right

Quote Originally Posted by ZUROBI3 View Post
    HI KOIKISSES;

Thanks for your support and you're right about that, all I can say is we're try hard to make it work and so far is working and we're not giving up, specially when they look healthy and happy trust me, hey who knows right

Zuro,
    I`m so sorry you`re having these problems. Listen to everyone`s advice. You have way too many koi , and will have to make some decisions soon about how many you can keep without endangering the health of the whole pond.
    I`m confused about the above statement ,that your koi are "happy and healthy".Aren`t you having problems with ulcers? Trust me, those arent happy or healthy koi.....

I thought the same thing, Carrie.

I know it's difficult, but if you don't make the choices, nature will do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by carrie1964 View Post
    Zuro,
    I`m so sorry you`re having these problems. Listen to everyone`s advice. You have way too many koi , and will have to make some decisions soon about how many you can keep without endangering the health of the whole pond.
    I`m confused about the above statement ,that your koi are "happy and healthy".Aren`t you having problems with ulcers? Trust me, those arent happy or healthy koi.....
    What I mean is they're quite, active, moving around all the time, eating of course everybody eats , but they're not in the bottom all the time and not eating, we use to have problems in the beginning of july and we treat them and they get cured, from that time this two was the only one that didn't get better, that's why we decide to move it to the other area, different people gave me opinions and I'm glad about that and I know we're overstocked, but the breeder and other persons told me if they're eating, active and moving around since the majority are small don't worry for now on, also said if I'm not want it for competition is ok, so that's why I'm also confused, thanks to all you guys for your opinions and help

ZULMA.........

If you're going to show, you should plan on approx. 1000 gallons per fish.

Showing or not, they're all the same "animal" and require a certain level of clean, high quality water. Unless you have superior filtration and know how to "keep the water", the fish are not going to stay healthy. Clear water does not mean healthy water.

Are the ulcers improving yet?

another plus to having less fish in more water is they get bigger....I soo much enjoy seeing a few big 30" koi gracefully swimmin' in a pond rather than a ton of smaller koi.....there is nothing more gorgeous or gracefull than a big koi...I have 3 koi in my 2,000 gallon-one is 30", one is 28" and another is 27"....you should hear all the ooohs and awwws ....versus my longfin/domestic pond where there are 5 koi in 1,000 gallons and the koi only average 20"---where people say those are pretty...but, the size of the others is breathtaking....the body of a big koi is alot prettier than the body of a stunted koi also....
    Lawanna

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    If you're going to show, you should plan on approx. 1000 gallons per fish.

Showing or not, they're all the same "animal" and require a certain level of clean, high quality water. Unless you have superior filtration and know how to "keep the water", the fish are not going to stay healthy. Clear water does not mean healthy water.

Are the ulcers improving yet?
    I know still the same animal and the conditions need to be the same, let me tell you what we have; Bead Filter Ultima II 4000 gallons our pond is 2000 gallons, 40 Watts UV Lamp, three 12" air diffuser , three jets or waterfalls whatever , Shaded with a gazebo , 20% water change plus backwashed every other day. I feed them with Saki-Hikari Growth, silkworm pupae plus algae wafers, carbon filter. I can't think in something else now, also I learn like you said that clear water doesn't mean healthy water. The ulcers are gone that pictures that I posted was the only two that I didn't see improvement and my friend the breeder that sold it to me told me when I send it the picture that small fish takes longer to heal, but I decided to take it to another tank since they didn't improve quickly as the others that are ok right now, I'll keep you posted and thanks for all your help

Until your filtration matures, I'd stop feeding the silk worm pupae. They don't need it and it really messes with your water quality. You could also change to a lower protein food to help out, feeding lightly once a day. They won't starve. The more you feed them, the more waste they put out and your filtration can't handle it.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    Until your filtration matures, I'd stop feeding the silk worm pupae. They don't need it and it really messes with your water quality. You could also change to a lower protein food to help out, feeding lightly once a day. They won't starve. The more you feed them, the more waste they put out and your filtration can't handle it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tip, you know before we use to give them ultra balance and they're ok, then we noticed they love more the saki, now when I give them ultra balance it would stay in the water forever they won't eat it, maybe little but little bit that's it, I'm not joking about this, I was feed them a while ago after they all start looking and open they're mouth I guess asking for food, then they went to eat the algae around the pond, in the pipes everywhere believe me, and something we noticed that is that after he start using the carbon filter the water is more clean like before, it was clean and clear but now is more also he told me the waste basket doesn't go to crowd it like before, don't know is that a sign that the filter is establish or @ least getting closer to establish I hope so, well thanks and keep you posted

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by N2koi View Post
    That was uncalled for!!!! Are you comparing a six inch koi to a precious child??? Incase you have a smart answer we lost a 3 week old infant to an infection last Labor Day weekend and there is no comparison!
    That was uncalled for!!!! Are you comparing a precious child to a six inch koi??? Incase you have a smart answer we lost a 3 week old infant to an infection last Labor Day weekend and there is no comparison![/QUOTE]
    SMART ANSWER,
    What one human finds precious another may not. Big picture/universe All life is precious. One is no more important than another.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast