Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sick koi

Quote Originally Posted by UP ALL NIGHT!! View Post
    All torture. Call it what ever YOU like. I can live with my self. BTW this was a Vick dog named Gypsy. He did not torture his animals either.
    This is uncalled for and unacceptable. Michael Vick intentionally had his dogs fight each other. Zurobi has a problem with his pond and is here for help because he cares about his koi. Speaking of help....you really need to seek help yourself. Your postings as of late are not the Lori that I knew and used to call a friend. You don't respond to pm's, emails or phone calls from your friends in the koi hobby anymore either. I seriously believe that you should see a professional about whatever it is that is going on in your life that has caused such a drastic change in your personality. We do care about you and I am very sorry it has come to this but you are no longer welcome at Bito. When you get your life back on track let me know and I will gladly reinstate your account.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Zulma your motives for coming to Bito are good ones! But your motives are not everybody’s motives. “People are always right in their own mind” is an old way of saying it. Forums are populated by people that I’d broadly fit into some groups. There are us newbies trying to understand and fit in. There are the oldies trying to explain it and fit in. There are the Lurkers, the Watchers, and (for want of a better term) the Crazies of various types. So whether we’re naďve, or jaded, hid out, above the fray, or crying out loud, there is no doubt that forums are not your local Koi Club (which by the way is meeting Sept 26th). Truth is, and if there is an exception to this I’d like to hear it, being attacked for no reason is part of the initiation at all web forums.

The good new is that Zulma is here and Lori has moved on to cool her jets...
    The uncalled for insults and rude comparisons she attempted to insinuate into this thread were nothing but her attempt to get herself banned (as she had stated as her purpose in a previous thread) and she finally got her wish. Thankfully Zulma is still here, making new friends on the forum AND right in her own back yard (Thanks to Mike and Rob) and things are once again moving in the right direction

Thanks, Jim. Hopefully, she can get herself back together and come back as a positive influence.

Daihonmei
    Zulma, sorry to read you were hit with such an ugle response--

Going all the way back to the beginning;

* The core of your two fish's health issues is likely not about them! It is much more likely about one of two things.

a) the presence of a parasite in general.
    b) some water quality issue

a) the presence or a parasite. certain types of parasites crawl over the fish and leave infection sights for aeromonas bacteria to invade the fish's lower skin layers quite easily. So you need to have a club member or AKCA KHA help you to scrape the fish for a slim coat sample and look at it under a microscope to see if there are parasites present.

b) water quality- this is a trickier subject as 'water quality' can mean water that is 'off' and getting the fish sick ( weaker one's first). The common problems that lead to this are-

1) too small a filter/too dirty a filter or too new a filter
    2) too many fish in a limited amount of water
    3) over feeding
    4) lack of water changes
    5) too many chemical additives
    6) under cleaning or over cleaning a filter
    7) water too hot or too cold
    8) poor circulation rates
    9) Too much organic content to water ( see #2,#3,#8)

So you need, with your local club's help, to track down the source of the ulcers one by one.

Being far away from the situation, I can't offer too much advise other than in the form of general education. My guess is that you are over stocked, but if you are doing weekly water changes that might not be the core source of the problem? I can tell you that your dealer friend is incorrect in the statement that young fish heal slower than older fish. What he may be attempting to say is that the immune system is weaker in fry stages- these are not fry stage fish. Young fish do shock out easier but that does not apply here.
    I would improve the water, reduce stocking, feed a little less, increase water changes and other maintenance --- all after getting the stock checked for parasites. - JR

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Zulma, sorry to read you were hit with such an ugle response--

Going all the way back to the beginning;

* The core of your two fish's health issues is likely not about them! It is much more likely about one of two things.

a) the presence of a parasite in general.
    b) some water quality issue

a) the presence or a parasite. certain types of parasites crawl over the fish and leave infection sights for aeromonas bacteria to invade the fish's lower skin layers quite easily. So you need to have a club member or AKCA KHA help you to scrape the fish for a slim coat sample and look at it under a microscope to see if there are parasites present.

b) water quality- this is a trickier subject as 'water quality' can mean water that is 'off' and getting the fish sick ( weaker one's first). The common problems that lead to this are-

1) too small a filter/too dirty a filter or too new a filter
    2) too many fish in a limited amount of water
    3) over feeding
    4) lack of water changes
    5) too many chemical additives
    6) under cleaning or over cleaning a filter
    7) water too hot or too cold
    8) poor circulation rates
    9) Too much organic content to water ( see #2,#3,#8)

So you need, with your local club's help, to track down the source of the ulcers one by one.

Being far away from the situation, I can't offer too much advise other than in the form of general education. My guess is that you are over stocked, but if you are doing weekly water changes that might not be the core source of the problem? I can tell you that your dealer friend is incorrect in the statement that young fish heal slower than older fish. What he may be attempting to say is that the immune system is weaker in fry stages- these are not fry stage fish. Young fish do shock out easier but that does not apply here.
    I would improve the water, reduce stocking, feed a little less, increase water changes and other maintenance --- all after getting the stock checked for parasites. - JR
    Thanks so much JR, I think we can start with the new filter, cause is like almost 3 months @ the end of Aug. , then over stocked also could be chemicals additives that they told my husband to use and one thing that he's looking now too is the poor circulation rates, he think the water pump is not moving too much the water, is moving now but not as much as he think should be, might be that where the filter is located, turns that he have in the connections some other things that he's trying to figure it out and fix. Water changes he's doing that for sure, also he told me that he turn off the UV to let some kind of bacteria that should grow, if I'm not mistaken is the friendly bacteria or to speed the grow of that bacteria, in a few I'm going to call or email a guy from a local club that Mike suggest me that could be a good help in the filtration situation, the fish are getting better, one die but not because of the ulcer, was that he jump out of the pond that he put it and we think a cat got it, the other one are ok, and the rest in the regular pond are ok so far and no problem @ all.

ZULMA.........

Meg
    wicked steep learning curve isn't it!
    but it seems you are getting a handle on it.
    glad you are going to get intouch with someone close by, very nice to have someone pond side.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345