Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sick koi

Sick koi

We have two sick kois, we think is aeronomas but not sure can someone give us a tip, I'm going to post pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sick koi-blue-ulcer.jpg   Sick koi-blue-whole-koi.jpg   Sick koi-orange-ulcer.jpg   Sick koi-orange-ulcer-1.jpg   Sick koi-orange-whole-koi.jpg  

I was looking back at some of your earlier posts because I thought you'd had problems before.

Are you still overstocked? Have you added any new fish? Are you still using Koizyme, ammonia blocks, Baytril and Amikacin? What are your ammonia and Nitrite levels?

The best things for these fish are injectibles along with Tri-Cide Neo.

You have to get your filtration/water/stocking levels straight or the fish are going to continue to get sick. I know it's hard but you have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    I was looking back at some of your earlier posts because I thought you'd had problems before.

Are you still overstocked? Have you added any new fish? Are you still using Koizyme, ammonia blocks, Baytril and Amikacin? What are your ammonia and Nitrite levels?

The best things for these fish are injectibles along with Tri-Cide Neo.

You have to get your filtration/water/stocking levels straight or the fish are going to continue to get sick. I know it's hard but you have to do it.
    We still have 48, only 6 are 12-14" and the rest small, we didn't add no more fish of course and we won't , we still using amquel plus and yes for the shots he used Baytril and Amikacin, the other fish that he treat they perfect and very well only this too, the breeder and friend that sold it to me told me when they're small it takes longer to heal, we put them in a separate pond for now on, the ammonia and nitrite levels are okl, I don't have it now, but we need to get a different test cause the amquel plus box said that the one that we have is not accurate when using amquel but so far they're ok and we're doing the water changes 10-25% every other day, and they're look ok and not sick, just this too, we're still waiting for the filter to get establish and we hope it's soon

ZULMA.........

way, way, to may fish for 2000 gallons. Get another tank with filter or get rid of at least half of your koi. Keep it simple. Its about water quality, keep clean water and the koi will take care of themselve. You are learning the hard way, many people give up on the hobby, they try to much to soon. If you swam in sewer water all the time, do you think your skin would heal? Be smart koikichi.

Quote Originally Posted by ZUROBI3 View Post
    We still have 48, only 6 are 12-14" and the rest small, we didn't add no more fish of course and we won't , we still using amquel plus and yes for the shots he used Baytril and Amikacin, the other fish that he treat they perfect and very well only this too, the breeder and friend that sold it to me told me when they're small it takes longer to heal, we put them in a separate pond for now on, the ammonia and nitrite levels are okl, I don't have it now, but we need to get a different test cause the amquel plus box said that the one that we have is not accurate when using amquel but so far they're ok and we're doing the water changes 10-25% every other day, and they're look ok and not sick, just this too, we're still waiting for the filter to get establish and we hope it's soon

Hey, Dan, where have you been?

With filters not established and being VERY overstocked, your fish are not going to heal or stay well. You have to make a decision now to get down to no more than 1 fish per 500 gallons or you're going to continue having sick or dead fish.

When is the last time you did the injections? Did these 2 fish get injections?

I have very difficult advice to give. The population needs to be reduced, but until all fish are healthy (fully recovered for a month), knowledgeable people are not going to want any. The recurrence of the aeromonas infection indicates that the current practices are not sufficient, or there is lingering infection from last week (or both). Under these circumstances, and without an established quarantine system operating, I think the best course is to euthanize the ones with sores. (Since they are small fish, this can be done painlessly by placing them in a plastic bag with just a little water and freezing them.) The medications you have been using are more costly than the fish, and you will need to give away most to reduce the population and ones with sores will have permanent scars that make them undesirable.

If the population is not reduced by your selection of the ones to leave, Nature will do the selection. Nature always seems to choose the pretty ones. So, euthanize the ones with sores, get the rest healthy and start looking for new homes for the ones you like less.

I think there is a guy who just lost his collection could take some off your hands..............

As painful as it is, Mike is right. Fish with an active infection like this are only serving as living "hosts" for disease and the infections will continue to spread from Koi to Koi as nature selects the weak ones.
    It takes an incredibly well established pond, continual water changes (more frequent and larger than what you are now doing), and a very experienced Koi keeper to maintain such a large population of Koi in such a small pond. The fish may be small, but your system is still completely overwhelmed by them and no amount of Koizyme can overcome that. It does an outstanding job of "reducing" aeromonas/pseudomonas bacteria populations, but it cannot eliminate them.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Thanks for the advice, right now is only those two with the ulcer and that's it, last time we gave the shot was like a month ago and those fish are ok, no ulcer, scars or sign that they have anything, eating ok, happy and swim a lot, not a single one stay @ the bottom, water so far is ok, the readings ok, we using amquel plus , koizyme and doing the water changes and pond is clear, can see the bottom very well, to get rid of them, well I don't know where to take it and give it to who ?? , RobF was @ my house and I ask him if I should get rid of some right now and he told me no, so I'm going to keep trying and let's see so far they're ok, or until I find a place, they're really good koi no pet shop koi, and all of them less than 5 are from the same breeder

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ZUROBI3 View Post
    We have two sick kois, we think is aeronomas but not sure can someone give us a tip, I'm going to post pictures
    Do/would you take care of your "human" kids this way? SH

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast