Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UK KHV vaccine trials . . .

Daihonmei
    i wonder how the two factors will play out..if a good cheap vaccine is created will it make it impossible to determine non-vaccinated carriers from vaccinated koi.... a good cheap vaccine could cost less than testing...then instead of testing a batch of koi they would be vaccinated instead.
    the future will tell.

Jumbo
    In April 2005, there was an announcement by Dr, Yoshimura & Dr. Miyazaki at Mie university http://www.mie-u.ac.jp/en/ that an effective oral vaccine for KHV was developed.

Tosai
    "The HML vaccine does not include any live attenuated virus."

is what was written on a uk site about the trial.

Oyagoi
    Apparently a letter to Schering-Plough Animal Health is in order.....

Nothing I see here alleviates my concerns.

Brett

Daihonmei
    well as I said in another post a week ago now, there are now three countries finished or in the late stages of finishing their versions of a vaccine ( injectable or emersion). I know of two others behind the scenes that are closing in on another vaccine for a major drug company. The future is very hopeful. JR

Oyagoi
    Drink the wine children. It is delicious and will save you and your koi.

Brett

Hey, Brett . . .

Doncha mean 'kool aid' ?

When the topic of KHV Vaccination (KHVv) arises there is certain to be controversy, not as much here as elsewhere but controversy nonetheless. Me I am just thick enough to think that a KHVv is a good thing. In human terms vaccination against small pox and polio, have had a clear benefit. In pets like cats and dogs vaccines against rabies and distemper are effective. To no longer worry about KHV infection would be a good thing. Vaccines developed from the virus itself, like the Israelisí are doing, carry a genetic marker that makes it easy to tell who has been vaccinated and who has been infected. As for using KHV for control of feral carp it can only be partially effective in the short term and would either fail in the long term or develop up the Andromeda Strain.

Fry
    The key point about this vaccine rather than the Israeli (Magnoy) vaccine is alluded to in the HML statement I posted above..

'Vaccine Candidates

The candidates used in this study utilise inactivated virus, so pose no threat of infection either to the vaccinated fish or other fish in the same tank or pond. '

Hence unlike the other vaccines on the market, this synthetic vaccine does not jeaopardise the health of carp by introducing a live active virus, that could if mutations occur as they often do, lead to KHV being introduced via the vaccine into an area that was previously KHV free.

This is why the Magnoy vaccine has not and will never be licenced for use in Europe or the USA.

And it is why SPAH (the worlds largest animal health company) are so keen on getting hold of this vaccine. Novartis and SPAH previously have spent money on alternative methods of generating a KHV vaccine but the curates egg is that this method appears to offer a safe and effective route to KHV protection

Someone asked about cost... I think that its been suggested that £10 a shot may be the price. Not alot in the scheme of things if your fish is worth several hundred pounds each. Obviously the ability to use this vaccine across the entire carp species span means the potential for the company is sizeable.

Quote Originally Posted by notsosmart View Post

The candidates used in this study utilise inactivated virus, so pose no threat of infection either to the vaccinated fish or other fish in the same tank or pond. '

Hence unlike the other vaccines on the market, this synthetic vaccine does not jeaopardise the health of carp by introducing a live active virus, that could if mutations occur as they often do, lead to KHV being introduced via the vaccine into an area that was previously KHV free...
    The biggest question I have is regarding post vaccination testing. Do you know if they are working on vaccine specific tests that can easily and accurately distinguish between a vaccinated Koi and an infected Koi? There needs to be a way to identify both cases in a single reliable manner in order to prevent fraud and protect customers of Koi being sold as "vaccinated".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast