Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: UK KHV vaccine trials . . .

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Very promising stuff! But still a promise as big Pharma is always putting seed money at there in hopes of finding the next drug or vaccine. in fact this is how big Pharma makes discoveries- by funding other small research companies. There is something called a 'burn rate' which is a way of picturing the money being lost to the gamble of research over time. Finally the last hurdle if a drug is successful is for it to be approved for use by governmental entities.
    So those speculation stocks in the area of drug development are very volatile as you go thru the burn rate period, the trials and finally the governmental approval-- NOT for the faint of heart!

Some where along the line and in the near future we will see a flurry of vaccines of KHV. Both injectible and dip type. It's really just a matter of time.
    This will be great news but not a simple ending as the carrier issue is still there. And that will take considerable research to understand the dynamic when we are in the world of protected fish and non protected fish. AKCA has funded research specifically around the nature and details of carrier status and how to separate out the carrier ( and maybe in additional future studies- the differences between the vaccinated and the natural carrier). Lost more work to do over the next 10 years. - JR
    I would add that there is also work being done on a special type of KHV vaccine that can be added to koi food. That seems to me to be a exciting option. Perhaps we will be able to buy koi food with the oral KHV vaccine to feed for a month or so each spring.

Independent testing of new vaccines might be a excellent use of future AKCA - Project KHV funds.

A safe and effective KHV vaccine will be a wonderful benefit to our hobby(IMO). It appears that in a few years we may have some oppertunies to protect our koi from KHV. However, there will still be lots of koi dying from poor water quality, parasites, chlorine, over treatment with (fill in the blank) etc. etc.

Daihonmei
    papabear,
    yeah anything could happen
    but this vaccine doesn't need to be around for Dealers to lie their way out of responsibility for selling KHV-infected koi. The Standard , "I had my koi tested and they were clean when i sold em." Holds up wonderfully.

Daihonmei
    I think as consumers we all are an impatient lot! We want the problem fixed and we want it fixed now. But scientific descovery/ research and development is a sloppy business. So no black and white- just slow progress at a glacier's pace. The big problems will obviously be ;

1) carrier status
    2) mutation of strains of the virus ( there are already multiple stains and each must have it's own vaccine)

Still, I'd predict that we will be in an entirely different place five years from now.
    - JR

Any updates on the trials?

I have not seen a specific update on this vaccine research. In general fish vaccines work best for food fish production which usually involves growing for a single season and acceptable losses of up to 20% 30% of crop.

The issues with seasonal loss of vaccine protection when tempertures drop below about 65F with the need to do booster vaccinations plus most hobbyists are reluctant to inject their koi collection each spring and accept the same percentage of losses seen in food fish crops.

Vaccine research programs have been going since 2004-2005 with about 5-6 different programs started in various parts of the world. To my knowledge on the isreali live attenuated vaccine has become available commerically and it has faced several major hurdles that will likely keep if out of the U.S and most other areas. Most experts agree that a KHV vaccine is not likely to provide much assistance for koi hobbyists.

The AKCA Project KHV funded research program at Oregon State Univ. has produced some significant results especially in area of being able to test for latent KHV infection. Several articles about this research have been published in medical journals including the May 2011 issue of the Journal of Virology. A new article updating the key advances from this research can be found in the next issue of KOI USA magazine.

Bottom line is that buying from trusted sources and quarantine for 8 weeks at permissive tempertures with a canary koi added from your current collection is the best way to keep KHV out of your koi collection. The additional protection from a new type of PCR blood test proceedure will be a welcome addition and while any test and quarantine is not 100% protection it is far better than what we had just a few years ago.

I am bumping up this old thread because I see there is an ad in the latest issue of KoiUSA for a new KHV vaccine, apparently the first to be approved for use in the U.S.

does anyone know the method of deployment ?

No firm facts have been released to my knowledge. Several key questions I would have for a KHV vaccine are:

#1 Is it a live vaccine or something else?

#2 How extensively has it been tested and what were the conditions and results?

#3 How were the koi used in the test determined to be KHV free and not already latently infected?

#4 How is the vaccine administered and was it tested beyond a single growing season.

#5 What were the survival rates for the test koi vs the placebo/unprotected group.

#6 Were the vaccinated koi converted to latently infected koi or were they completely protected from KHV infection?

#7 What are the limitations of the vaccine?

#8 What does it cost?

I am sure some of you can think of many other questions to add to this list.

MCA
    how do distinguish between a koi that has been vacinated vs one that has been exposed and has active infection or is just carrying the virus? I hope an innoculated fish does not look like a sick one regaring titers or other tests.

Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    No firm facts have been released to my knowledge. Several key questions I would have for a KHV vaccine are:

#1 Is it a live vaccine or something else?

#2 How extensively has it been tested and what were the conditions and results?

#3 How were the koi used in the test determined to be KHV free and not already latently infected?

#4 How is the vaccine administered and was it tested beyond a single growing season.

#5 What were the survival rates for the test koi vs the placebo/unprotected group.

#6 Were the vaccinated koi converted to latently infected koi or were they completely protected from KHV infection?

#7 What are the limitations of the vaccine?

#8 What does it cost?

I am sure some of you can think of many other questions to add to this list.
    The ad does not say much. The fine print at the bottom of the page states that the vaccine is manufactured by Kovax, Ltd. The ad indicates Novartis is the source in the U.S. The Cavoy website is given in the ad, but the site just says: 'coming soon'. The Kovax website promotes a KHV vaccine, which I assume is the same one Novartis is distributing. It is the Israeli vaccine. The site indicates it uses 'attenuated virus', that there is a marker to differentiate from 'wild' virus, that it is given by immersion or injection with 'about' 90% effectiveness.

With Novartis behind it, there must be market research that supports the expense of introducing a new product. Novartis has an animal health division and aquaculture is an area of interest. So, I'd guess breeders will be the focus. Once a few koi farms begin vaccinating, the general population will include vaccinated fish that test positive with detection of the marker being crucial.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234