Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling Koi Out of Show Tank

Selling Koi Out of Show Tank

I would be interested in folks' thoughts on the proper ettiquette of a hobbyist selling koi entered in a show at the show. I did this once several years ago on the morning after the day of judging. (A club member came up to me and said they would like to buy the fish if I ever wanted to sell. It was one I intended to re-home, so I sold it.) What if the person posted a 'for sale' sign on the show tank on the day after judging, but before break-down commenced? I presume all would agree that visible sales efforts prior to judging would be inappropriate; and that visible sales efforts after commencement of breakdown would be acceptable... but maybe not everyone agrees on those points??

Your at a Koi "show" not "sale"..............if your are solicited.....then yes if you really want to sell it. But to go with the intent to sell no unless............

We have a sale at our show, with the funds being split between the hobbyist and the club. That is the intent of event as away to reduce club members Koi stock or unwanted ones.

Hmmm... I am somewhere in between... Our koi show is this weekend... and one or two of the koi I am taking have been in our quarantine pond, as they are to be sold. I am taking them up there becuase they are still decent, and a friend couldn't make it to our house, and this will be their opportunity to see them. If they want them, fine, if not, also fine...but several others also know that we have a couple koi we are willing to let go of, and that they will be at the show... b4 the show...so it may become a conversation...

Not a for sale sign, but common knowledge of more than one person about a particular koi. Is this breaking the rules?
    Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

I wonder what the Vendors would say if 25% of the Show Tanks had 4-Sale signs on them ?

Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    I wonder what the Vendors would say if 25% of the Show Tanks had 4-Sale signs on them ?

I wouldn`t expect they would be happy about that.
    However, if a hobbyist has already made arrangments prior to the show, I don`t see the harm in sending that koi home with the new buyer from the show site.

I have seen this at several koi shows but I really dont pay no mind to it. If someone were to offer me money for one of the fish I showed I would tell that person to do the deal away from the show. This koi community is big but word travels fast, next thing you know your labelled as a koi dealer. Just my thoughts.

Tony

I would see nothing wrong with it so long as the show committee was in agreement.

What would seem appropriate to me would be for the show committee to provide a quiet "information clearinghouse" service to entrants and attendees who might be interested in buying or selling a Koi entered into the show. A silent bulletin board of sorts that would make initiating such overtures possible without provoking unwanted attention.

Many shows have auctions as part of their fund raising efforts. At the OKC show the seller kept 75% of the proceeds with the club retaining 25%. I know many clubs rely on 100% "donated" Koi for their auctions, but not many show quality fish are sold that way. Maybe having a separate auction exclusively for Koi entered into the show would be an option for Shows to consider. The club could keep a small fee and willing sellers and buyers could have an opportunity to do a little business...
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Bob,

Did not someone put prices up on a tank at your show once

Why are you not baggin feesh

A sign is definitely not appropriate. The club I compete with..the pioneer valley, has specific rules to deal with this. We sign a form stating that the koi is a pet, owned by the individual and not for sale. Koi professionals are allowed to enter their personally owned koi in this manner. I have had offers at shows, but never sold any. If I had arranged a sale ahead of time...I would bring the koi, but not enter it into the competition.

I thought you could not show fish if you sell them? I remember way back at a Naples show gc winner was taken away from him cause somebody complain that he sold fish also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast