Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Stunted koi?

Stunted koi?

Quote Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
    another plus to having less fish in more water is they get bigger....I soo much enjoy seeing a few big 30" koi gracefully swimmin' in a pond rather than a ton of smaller koi.....there is nothing more gorgeous or gracefull than a big koi...I have 3 koi in my 2,000 gallon-one is 30", one is 28" and another is 27"....you should hear all the ooohs and awwws ....versus my longfin/domestic pond where there are 5 koi in 1,000 gallons and the koi only average 20"---where people say those are pretty...but, the size of the others is breathtaking....the body of a big koi is alot prettier than the body of a stunted koi also....
    Lawanna

Thanks for point you make. It makes me wonder....

.... If a koi has been kept in an overcrowded or too small of a pond, is a koi capable of rebounding from its state of being stunted if placed in a lower stocked pond or larger pond? If so, do factors such as the age of the koi also play a role in its ability/inability to return to its genetically programmed growth potential after being stunted?

Rita,

I would think it would have a lot with the Koi's age.........the younger ones would have the best ability to rebound.

We were taught that they grow the fastest/most during the first 3 years.

From what I've been told, they will catch up to a certain point but never reach their full potential. It was said that they will usually catch up to within 1-2".

and another question...has anyone else noticed that koi will range from the largest to the smallest even when they are grown from the same age in the same pond?...when I even had 4 in the pond --Ginger was the largest-then Fred-then Showoff and then Splash....Since I went down to three....the three have gained size but, they are still in the same order as far as size goes....My thinking was that my two females would out grow my one male...but, thats not been the case--My largest koi is a female-My second largest is a male and last in line is my other female...
    Lawanna

Quote Originally Posted by mstrseed View Post
    Rita,

I would think it would have a lot with the Koi's age.........the younger ones would have the best ability to rebound.
    That makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    We were taught that they grow the fastest/most during the first 3 years.

From what I've been told, they will catch up to a certain point but never reach their full potential. It was said that they will usually catch up to within 1-2".

Now that's interesting....thanks Sandy.

Quote Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
    and another question...has anyone else noticed that koi will range from the largest to the smallest even when they are grown from the same age in the same pond?...when I even had 4 in the pond --Ginger was the largest-then Fred-then Showoff and then Splash....Since I went down to three....the three have gained size but, they are still in the same order as far as size goes....My thinking was that my two females would out grow my one male...but, thats not been the case--My largest koi is a female-My second largest is a male and last in line is my other female...
    Lawanna
    I wonder 'tranquility' if genetics plays a major role in this trend ?

Once a runt always a runt from my experience over the last 10 years breeding them. If they don't grow fast, most likely they wont ever get any real size.