Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: 3 q's-)

Red face 3 q's-)

sat morning my ph crashed to a 5.0 -So what ya know I flipped and told hubby to put pur big boys in....I probably put the other kio's in too soon -but from what I remember low ph= kois feel like their skin is burning and posibly low o2, is this true?
    And another q, where can I find a "COMPLETE POND TESTING KIT"
    And Finally, does anyone know where to buy extra little vials..2 of mine broke this am

A sudden shift in pH adversely affects all of the metabolic processes. A pH crash is generally accompanied by low oxygen levels, with carbon dioxide taking the place of oxygen in the water. Low pH can occur naturally for other reasons, so it is not accurate to say that a low pH inherently means low oxygen.

Check Aquatic EcoSystems on-line catalog for tests. The best aquarium shops will have the tests you want, but you will most likely have to purchase separately. LaMotte is known for quality test products, but pricey. The Aquarium Pharmaceuticals tests cost less and are adequately accurate for most purposes. Do not get paper strip tests. They are not sufficiently accurate.

Daihonmei
    Well, Mike's pretty much covered it. I'll add that this is why baking soda needs to be in every hobbyists emergency cabinet.
    Once a crash has occurred the biofilter is compromised so water changes are eventually necessary even after the addition of baking soda. In fact, if you do regular water changes weekly, you will always avoid pH crach ( assuming no over stocking).

The reason fish suffer and often die during a pH crash is due to their internal blood chemistry. A koi is a submarine with a semi-permiable sceen door! 'Things' move into and out of a koi mostly via the gills. And the internal pH of koi tends to be constant. A pH crash wreaks havoc with the ability of koi to exchange gases with the outside world.

The 'Goldilocks' principle needs to be in play here. Not too hard and not too soft a water condition. For those who raise very high end koi, soft water is a great thing. The skin will never look better than in moderately soft water. But these folks will also tend to do a lot of water changes and stock low as part of their general approach, so they are never in danger. Water gardeners who tend to over stock, over feed and do less water changes can not run water as soft as more motivated serious koi keepers.
    The real one problem however in using baking soda chronically to cheat the system is that you can't fool mother nature long term! She will still deteriorate the water quality in other ways even if you use baking soda as a band-aid. And so resisting the water change via chemicals long term can not cover ALL the secondary consequences of living matabolism's effects on water quality in a closed system. The variables of ion change and metabolic byproducts are simply too numerous. - JR