Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I feel terrible

Tosai
    my condolences as well Rick

I'm so sorry(((KOIHUGS)))....you know good point with the chemical thing...I just took my 8ft round intex down that I had been using as a q-tank since May ands 2 1/2 ft deep.. and my nitite levels were up and ph crashed...I wonder if those intex pools can release a type of chemical over time??...I was also about to store mine away-just to keep it on hand till we build our new q tank in garage.

Ur intex didnt have that blackish marks that some get?....I was told that is a kind of mold?...and bleach hardly fades it too

Nisai
    Thanks all, I'm thinking some sort of toxin. I can't imagine what. Last time I used the pool I drained it, let it dry for about two hours and packed it back into it's box. The air stone came from the pond, I just pulled it out and tossed it into the pool. I pumped the water into the pool with my regular circulating pump and the hose I backwash with.

I used a few gallons of mains water to stabilize the pool frame, added ST for good measure. Same ST mix I've been using all season.

The smaller fish died first and fast, some of the larger ones hung on a bit, and the largest (and ugliest) 5 are still hanging on. We'll see in the AM if any made it.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by angelkoimd View Post
    I'm so sorry(((KOIHUGS)))....you know good point with the chemical thing...I just took my 8ft round intex down that I had been using as a q-tank since May ands 2 1/2 ft deep.. and my nitite levels were up and ph crashed...I wonder if those intex pools can release a type of chemical over time??...I was also about to store mine away-just to keep it on hand till we build our new q tank in garage.

Ur intex didnt have that blackish marks that some get?....I was told that is a kind of mold?...and bleach hardly fades it too
    No mold, never had bleach in it, used it three times last year for a few hours at a time. I don't think I'll ever risk using it again.

Meg
    so very sorry very odd situation, hope you can figure it out.
    how did the gills look on those that passed and those still around?
    any of the 5 hanging on this morning?

If you ever figure out the cause, let us know. It will help somebody to avoid the same catastrophe.

Condolences.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    If you ever figure out the cause, let us know. It will help somebody to avoid the same catastrophe.

I was thinking the samething .

Rick , Very sorry to hear this .

Troy

Very sorry for your loss.

I'm really scratching my head over this.

Time for some of our chemists to put on their thinking caps to figure out what could have caused this sort of thing. Is it possible that the vinyl could have released something into the water as a reaction to storage/folding trapping moisture that "cooked" things a bit? I have Koi swimming in an intex pool right now and have had in the past on many occasions with nary a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    I'm really scratching my head over this.

Time for some of our chemists to put on their thinking caps to figure out what could have caused this sort of thing. Is it possible that the vinyl could have released something into the water as a reaction to storage/folding trapping moisture that "cooked" things a bit? I have Koi swimming in an intex pool right now and have had in the past on many occasions with nary a problem.

I wonder if after a certain amount of time the material can degrade and become toxic to fish? That's the only thing I can come up with, becuase I have used intex pools for 3 years to house fish while doing new ponds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast