Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottom drains

Bottom drains

Hi I'm building a new pond this year, for a pond size of 38ft x16ft x6ft approx 27,360 gallons or mite go as big as 40ft x 18ft x 7ft deep at 37,800 gallons how many bottom drains should be used in this size of pond. Also what size do you think is best? being 2ft longer and 2ft wider and 1 ft deeper. Its 10,440 gallons more.
    Thanks

Going to be tough to catch Koi in those dimensions. I would consider narrower and deeper.
    Bottom drains would need to be 4", pipe 4".
    12' wide you would want to place 3 drains spaced equally. 16' wide means you would have to draw 8' which would not be a good draw.

Tosai
    a wise master once told me "the bigger the better."

Quote Originally Posted by mstrseed View Post
    Going to be tough to catch Koi in those dimensions. I would consider narrower and deeper.
    Bottom drains would need to be 4", pipe 4".
    12' wide you would want to place 3 drains spaced equally. 16' wide means you would have to draw 8' which would not be a good draw.
    If you are drawing water 12.5 ft in length with 3 drains then why would 8ft be a problem in width?

Quote Originally Posted by ty714 View Post
    a wise master once told me "the bigger the better."
    I think so too!

Daihonmei
    The bigger the better is a truism. But the words of a great philosopher ( Clint Eastwood) ring true also- " A man's got to know his own limitations"!

A pond can be too big. In terms of design issues and expenses associated with a jumbo pond.
    So drains are where the whole determination ( a bottle neck factor) will be as to if your pond will be successful or a head ache from day one. You need as many drains as it takes to move all that water on a regular basis to the filters and also to have no dead spots.
    In a pond this size I'd recommend 6 separate drains so as to turn over 37000 gallons once every two hours. Based on the floor size you will need to cover and sweep, six is a minimum if you design according to floor area.
    I'd also consider midwater pick ups for a pond that size. They work very well as a compensator for drain inefficiencies ( drain pipe running lengths) and also create better water movement.
    If you do this, you will also have to divide your filtration up into at least three ( six would be better) separate filtration systems or bays. Each with it's own motor. If you roll all the water into one large sump and one massive filter system it will not work well unless you try something on the scale of Momotaro's old bay filter design ( a giant race way called an endless filter in which you surround the pond with filter chambers).
    It would be a magnificant system for sure but make sure you are up to the task financially before you jump in! The electric bill will be impressive, for instance.
    I do agree that you are thinking in the right direction with your depth, living where you do, with the winters you have. Best of luck, JR

Tosai

BD not required

that is if you're going to build a stream flow system.

Zebra: My pond is 15.5 feet wide at its widest point. It is very difficult to catch koi. I use a seine to corral them at one end. It helps, but is not a complete solution. The koi I want to catch always seems to learn to get around or under the seine. A 12-foot width seems to work well for catching. I would not change my width simply because it is needed for gallonage in limited space, and I do not catch my fish very often. But, it is an inconvenience.

Daihonmei
    Not sure what that means unless you are suggesting a directional design like they do with flow thru systems? The Japanese called those river systems or endless river systems ( later in the 1980s early 1990s, that was abandoned by most breeders and hobbyists but the term hung around with the idea of the endless filtration system). Is that what you mean? JR

Most bottom drains are limited to pulling from a 6'-8' area. Otherwise, the outer edges will not be kept clean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast