Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Preparation

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    Ethan,
    If I only had a dollar for all of the times I have heard similar claims.....right Brutus? Beware Ethan, your time will be coming, trust me.

Steve

well, let's hope not! the only other option I have is to bring them into the garage and attempt to heat the one side of the garage enough to where the pool will not freeze up. but this is a garage that is isolated from the house, and gets down to 10 degrees on the coldest of nights that are below zero.

since my main pond is heated with a gas heater......getting ready for winter means lowering the temperature of the pond gradually....reducing the feed and feeding a wheat germ food instead of the higher protein they are now getting......when the temps outside start to get too cold and my gas bill gets too high i lower the polycarbonate frames from the pergola to the pond and use an assortment of lumber to build the winter cover for the pond ...it all gets some clear six mil plastic over the whole thing.....i will keep the temps above 50 but will fast the koi for six to eight weeks.....all of the filtration will run as normal.....in the spring i move the temps up myself..and when i can't stand having the pond covered any more..the mess comes off...and it sure is nice to see the fish and pond again.....cold mornings i can watch the steam rising...like little dollar bills......floating away......mother nature doesn't help me too much in that regard in the pacific northwest...also in anacortes we have a little microclimate with cool nights even in the summer.....without heat my pond would never see seventy degrees......with heat i am keeping it at 75 for a couple happy months...and it sure does increase the appetite.....and i think i will finally be able to grow some large koi...........my other pond is heated only with a solar heater and those fish have been brought in the garage for the winter...this year i am thinking of covering......still not sure if i will pull those fish into the garage or not.....and someday i will add another pond and this one will be in a greenhouse and be insulated and so be cheaper to heat...but i think it is on the five year plan........or maybe just a fantasy.....

Ethan,
    If I only had a dollar for all of the times I have heard similar claims.....right Brutus? Beware Ethan, your time will be coming, trust me.

Steve
    I was waiting to see you here Steve..LOL!!! You know how I feel about it. I think my pond is not suited at all..with the bottom hitting 35deg, we are talking frostbite. But...my old pond kept the bottom at 40deg, and no issues. So, I still think you can do it if your pond is suited to it. My fear bringing them in is the water being 55deg...aeromonas alley. I know JR doesn't subscribe to that idea..but, I am a wee bit intimidated. I hope I do not end up treating ulcers all winter. Hopefully, I will make out better than last winter...I am still recovering, as are my koi!!!

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

I didn't want to start a thread..but, a quick question. I am building a new filter out of a 60gal rain collection tank. It will be pump fed to the tank and gravity return. My pump is 600gph. What size hole do i need to drill so the return can handle that type of flow?? I was thinking a 2inch hole for the return, but was not sure. Thanks in advance.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    I didn't want to start a thread..but, a quick question. I am building a new filter out of a 60gal rain collection tank. It will be pump fed to the tank and gravity return. My pump is 600gph. What size hole do i need to drill so the return can handle that type of flow?? I was thinking a 2inch hole for the return, but was not sure. Thanks in advance.
    Brutus,
    It depends on how much water you want to be above the hole.

With 1" of water above a 2" hole it will flow roughly 942 US GPH.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    I was waiting to see you here Steve..LOL!!! You know how I feel about it. I think my pond is not suited at all..with the bottom hitting 35deg, we are talking frostbite. But...my old pond kept the bottom at 40deg, and no issues. So, I still think you can do it if your pond is suited to it. My fear bringing them in is the water being 55deg...aeromonas alley. I know JR doesn't subscribe to that idea..but, I am a wee bit intimidated. I hope I do not end up treating ulcers all winter. Hopefully, I will make out better than last winter...I am still recovering, as are my koi!!!
    Brutus,
    The key to avoiding bacterial problems is to keep the cfu count low. Good filtration, good turnover rate and proper maintenance and there are no issues keeping koi at 55F. Far better than at any temp lower than around 45F and certainly better than "chillin below 40F.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Brutus,
    The key to avoiding bacterial problems is to keep the cfu count low. Good filtration, good turnover rate and proper maintenance and there are no issues keeping koi at 55F. Far better than at any temp lower than around 45F and certainly better than "chillin below 40F.

Steve
    That is the plan Steve...I promise. Still apprehensive, since it is the first time in this set up. But...after last winter, it would be hard to do worse.
    I used the 2inch hole...worked great. Thanks

Daihonmei
    Correction? The key to avoiding bacterial infections is to keep the fish strong AND the count low. Carp live in mud scavanging for food- the bacteria count IN and AROUND them can be very high. But they are 'healthy' so the many defenses nature gave them- scales, slime coat, natural 'antibiotics', an immune system in general all work to keep the fish harm-free.
    'ulcer disease' is not a bacteria of great power. It the meeting of bacteria with a weak animal in bad water or stressful conditions. A perfect storm , if you will.
    If you think of koi disease as an environmental problem due to koi's intimate relationship with it's world, you will be way ahead of the game. Brutus, I know with your training you are far beyond all this basic stuff about disease but for the casual reader, never try and 'kill' the bacteria in your pond to end chronic ulcer disease. Rather, find the cause of the aeromonas excess production and the reason why your koi are so weak as to allow bacteria to enter their bodies unchecked. Sometimes this is driven by parasites as a mechanical vector and other times it is pure environmental stress on the koi. - JR

For those in Florida, with the worst heat of the summer easing off, the 'second season' is now beginning. My pond was down to 78F this morning. I mixed up a new batch of Hikari Growth and Hi-Silk pellets. We will have three months of excellent growing September through November. However, in late October I will begin eliminating the evening meal and switch to a moderate protein level, gradually leading to a full fast beginning late December. We do not need to worry about cold in Florida, but there is as much of a need as ever to keep leaves and debris out of the pond, perform weekly maintenance regimen, do water changes, etc. Folks elsewhere may talk about less need for water changes, etc., but that does not apply in Florida. Cannot take a holiday from pond maintenance even over the holidays.

Those with garden ponds get lulled into laziness. Cooler temps and seasonal light changes result in algae disappearing and water becoming more clear than they saw over the summer. Clear water does not mean healthy water. Still have to get organics out of the pond. The slow decomposition is a contributor to problems.

As I live Louisiana, our winters are not harsh (and cooler than Florida), so would I still make frequent water changes? Say weekly?

Last winter I did them once a month. I didn't have any problems with the koi come spring time.

Now that I've learned more on keeping water,, I would like to continue at least a weekly waterchange over the winter months, provided this wouldn't cause any undo stress on their overwintering.

What do ya think?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast