Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The birth of a mud pond - I hope it holds water!

Thanks for the advice, Dan. There's not way I could afford $10 for 50 lbs. do do a pond that size.

We're going to try sealing it with the red clay and see what happens.

Rita, thanks a million for the offer. We have a 1/2 acre pond on the property that has Bass & Catfish in it. I've been told it's not good to put koi in with these fish. It needs to be dug out because the sides are shallow and the weeds have taken over.

Meg, I have no idea. Mike helped me with the shower yesterday and he's been hurting so badly he's been in bed since about 5:00 last night.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Sandy, I sure wish I could share my Kaolin with you.....I have TONS of extra. See if you can get the bentonite clay in bulk. You don't need as much as you think. You can till it in with the existing soil in the pond and it swells, making your pond leak proof. Here's a link that tells you how to calculate how much you need. They sell it by the tractor-trailer load too.

Bentonite :: Leaking Ponds :: Pond Sealant

I'll check the link out later today.

I wish I could get some of your clay, too. It would solve my problem.

Sandy,

This is worth the free estimate for you pond. Use the sheet and send it to them............

Texas Sodium Bentonite -

All the ponds I have been part of (water quality & detention) were required to have a 2' liner of clay with a minimum PI (plasticity index) of 40. Then it had to pass a permeability test, but never saw 40 PI clay fail. You may be able to look around for folks who want to get rid of some just for the cost of hauling.

But who am I.............

Daihonmei
    Kntry
    I got a high pressure pump on my well for watering the grass, and a sequence 1/3rd hp self-priming Sequence pump for flow through for lake luke.....I do not run both at once (on purpose). If your source water is OK the koi will be ok....don't spend too much on things till you need to. To me you just need to create a hole with some decent water in it...patch the mud pond the best you can with what you got and then get a small Sequence pump and let it rip.

How did you attach the Sequence pump, Luke? We have a submersible pump on the well. I could T into the line and put a Sequence but wont the well pump still run just as much?

Daihonmei
    Dang Kntry,
    I do not know how to do it with a submersible clogging the hole....maybe some else has an idea....And yep all I did was "T" it in and put a backflow valve on it

When they put the well down, I had them put a "T" on it so I could run my filtration to the pond. I'm going to call and see if I could put the pump on that "T". I'm assuming that the pump will pull the water instead of the well pump. There has to be some wiggle room down there for the water to pass around the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    When they put the well down, I had them put a "T" on it so I could run my filtration to the pond. I'm going to call and see if I could put the pump on that "T". I'm assuming that the pump will pull the water instead of the well pump. There has to be some wiggle room down there for the water to pass around the pump.
    Sandy, the pressure tank is what tells the well pump to turn off and on. If you tee off before the pressure tank and hook up the sequence pump, you should be able to pump right out of the well and bypass the sub. pump. But that's assuming the submersible pump will allow water to pass through it if it's not turned on. I think those pumps pretty well fill up the space down there and I don't think you will get much water flowing past it. You are going to have to get water flowing through it instead. If I were you, I'd call your well guy and ask him if it will work. You don't want to hook up the sequence after the pressure tank...it will suck it dry faster than it can recover.

Here's the finished product as far as depth and shape. I'm going to get the expert guy to come back and do the finishing work. DS will haul the clay while the guy forms the pond. (praying smilie here)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The birth of a mud pond - I hope it holds water!-mud-pond-9-1-09.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast