Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The birth of a mud pond - I hope it holds water!

The birth of a mud pond - I hope it holds water!

Our oldest son started digging my mud pond. I asked him to dig it about 5'. So... He digs 1/2 5' and the other half over 12'. He's always trying to please but it messes things up. When our friend that loaned us the track hoe came over the next morning with his employee who digs his ponds, they said there's no way it's going to hold water. He would try to fix it but he couldn't guarantee anything because he'd have to backfill and put at least 2' of clay. The soil is almost pure sand although there were 2 layers of clay.

I spent that entire day in my office crying. At times, I had to close my door or go outside. You see, if the pond doesn't hold water, I have to get rid of my fish. I don't have time to build them even a temp pond before we move.

DH got on the dozer and spent the entire day back filling and moving dirt. He spent 1/2 of the next day and this is the result. Our dozer broke so DS is fixing it.

Once the pond is lined with clay, it should be somewhere around 50x60x5'.

Our friend came back out and said it looked great and should work once we line it with clay. I'm really optimistic and feeling better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The birth of a mud pond - I hope it holds water!-depth.jpg   The birth of a mud pond - I hope it holds water!-dozer-track-hoe-beginning-dig.jpg   The birth of a mud pond - I hope it holds water!-jonathon-going-up-side.jpg   The birth of a mud pond - I hope it holds water!-pond-backfilled-slope-started.jpg   The birth of a mud pond - I hope it holds water!-pond-redone.jpg  

The birth of a mud pond - I hope it holds water!-pond-relation-house.jpg  
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Daihonmei
    Kntry,
    I'd give you a mental slap up side the head if i saw you crying about what your son did.
    I'd have filled the damn thing with water and see if it held it. i would do that now...before I put clay in it.
    Around me are nothing but sand bottomed ponds...you are gonna have a well aren't you....you just turn the well on and leave it on ...sooner or later the pond plugs up and you have to turn off the well except when there is a drought..many peopel around here let the well run year round so they can have a clear pond...they have to over flow the water somewhere...

Just givin' you something to consider.

Luke, he was trying to help and thought he was doing the right thing. He broke through the clay bottom. I'm not upset about what he did, I'm upset because if doesn't hold water, I don't have any place to put my fish when we move which means I have to get rid of them. I don't have time to work on the house to get it finished and build a pond. Not even a temp one. I'm working every spare minute trying to get the house finished.

It's supposed to rain here tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

The 10' deep hole that I dug a few acres away, where the ground is much lower holds about 2' of water.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    Luke, he was trying to help and thought he was doing the right thing. He broke through the clay bottom. I'm not upset about what he did, I'm upset because if doesn't hold water, I don't have any place to put my fish when we move which means I have to get rid of them. I don't have time to work on the house to get it finished and build a pond. Not even a temp one. I'm working every spare minute trying to get the house finished.

It's supposed to rain here tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

The 10' deep hole that I dug a few acres away, where the ground is much lower holds about 2' of water.
    Do you keep the well flowing into it? You could have a perfect flow through system.
    In my 51,000 gallon "lake" i flow through 1600-1200gph of untreated well water. i do have a PMS that runs about 8000gph through it and that could be adding enough processed water back to the 51,000 gallon lake to keep the water parameters pretty darn good.

I've heard of people just tossing dry powdered clay into ponds ad the clay settles more around the area that is leakin, and eventually seals it.

But why I am "mentally" slapping you upside the head is that you were getting upset without having any facts... so a guy said it won't hold water...so is it possible that running a well pump will make it good enough for koi to be healthy while the pond slowly seals itself over time... either way you shouldn't cry over milk till it is sure it is spilt.

I would be going out to lunch with a local craw daddy-cat fish farmer to make sure I wasn't screwing up...that's what I would be doing.

I only have 1 well and that's to run the house. It would be too expensive to run the well 24/7 to keep the pond going.

The guy who came over to look at the pond builds ponds in the area. He said what we're doing now if correct it's just a matter of whether or not the disturbed sand under the clay shifts and opens up the clay.

Meg
    you know that is a kid for you! they listen just enough to do things wrong.
    over time he's heard ou talk about wishin the pond was bigger, deeper ect....peice parted the info together just enough to get it wrong while trying to make you happy!
    "but Mom! You always said X Y and Z"

what is the time line for a test full up Sandy?

Options for Sandy...

Sandy, please let me know if I can help in anyway if you run into trouble with your new pond not holding water right away. I'm not that far from you and would be more than happy to help --- even if you could use me to help set up a temporary home for them or help find one for them that you would approve of.

Food for thought:

There's a gentleman that lives about 1000 feet from me that has a mud pond in his yard. It's aerated for sure. I assume he stocks bass. I would be more than happy to ask him to keep your koi in there.

I'm here if you need me...just wanna help.
    "...no matter how you look at it, Mother Nature still makes the rules."

Seminole Mud Company: Providing Sodium Bentonite as a Pond Leak Sealer

You can put it on your face too for that naturally soft skin by 'several orders of magnitude'. Good luck!

kntry,
    It will take a lot of sodium bentonite to seal pond. Can get it at hughes supply called medium crumbles $9.99 a 50 lbs bag. Do not get gel x, that is used for drilling purpose and has some added chemicals to it. I just had 4 ponds dug at 120 x 50 x 8 ft. I live a hour south of Orlando and we have sand only, however we also have what is called hardpan sand which is compress sand that is hard as a rock. I try to break a piece of it with shovel and it just laugh at me. When the digger hit the hardpan at 8ft he stop ( scoop just bounces of the surface of the hardpan sand). You can see the picture that pond was already filling while digging.

Ponds are holding with water table at 5ft, however that will change when dry season gets here. So on that note its going to take a lot of clay to seal pond and on top of that to add calicum bentonite for koi growth. The amount of water to fill these 4 ponds is 1,400,000 gallons, what a blessing to wake up the next morning and look out my window and see them almost full, filled by nature ground water. I do suggest if you have more land space is to fill that hole back up and move to another spot and dig again this time do not go thru the hard pan when the digger hits it. I was told if you do go thru the hardpan sand it will never seal unless you add sodium bentonite. Good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The birth of a mud pond - I hope it holds water!-dscn9978.jpg   The birth of a mud pond - I hope it holds water!-dscn9984.jpg   The birth of a mud pond - I hope it holds water!-dscn9951.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast