Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate My Koi

Just be patient. Good things cannot be rushed. And disappointments cannot teach if you rush.

Meg
    honestly the shiro is trash, sorry.
    ....let me know when you want me to take her off your hands

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    honestly the shiro is trash, sorry.
    ....let me know when you want me to take her off your hands
    I didn't just hear that from Meg... La, la, la, find my happy place, I need to find my happy place... Just kidding...

Oyagoi
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
    My thought is none of those necessarily. If it is a solid fish genetics wise, the beni will change in appearance as it grows....usually, you will see a star in the middle of each orange/red scale of darker color. They call this HOSHI. That is a good sign if the koi displays this. To be honest, with your picture it is not obvious that it has hoshi, but I also do not like the lighting in the photo.

it is also possible that as a young fish, it was fed some sort of color enhancing food, and now if it is not, it doesn't maintain the color it once had.
    This (above) is a good answer.

If the koi is a good one, it can and will change in intensity, brightness, tint, even shape of pattern. Eventually with great care it will reach its potential.

If the koi is a marginal one, it will be fed an esoteric mixture of color enhancing ingredients including such things as methyl testosterone and other hormones to "enhance" coloration prior to sale. Once these substances wear off, the colors fade, sometimes all the way gone.

Not a new trick, one as old as the fishkeeping hobby. Nowadays such tricks and deceptions extend way beyond a few strange food ingredients. All you need do is go to the tropical fish store. There will be examples of the abomination called a flowerhorn cichlid, (not transgeneic but surely genetically manipulated-trihybrid cross) for big dollars. There will be transgeneic "glow fish" and hearts tattooed onto danios, dyed glass fish, and all other manner of distasteful but quick selling "doctored up" specimens.

In koi the same tricks apply. Pattern changing with dremel tools, tattoos, injected dyes, esoteric feed ingredients, anything to make the sale or make it bigger. So far, I've yet to see any transgenic koi, but I'm sure somebody is working on it.

Saying that, there are legitimate reasons even good koi lose color. Number one would be poor care. which includes such things as bad water, bad food, improper habitat, etc.

While you'll never make a silk purse from a sow's ear, you can take a silk purse and ruin it fairly easily.

Brett
    Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbreeder View Post
    This (above) is a good answer.

If the koi is a good one, it can and will change in intensity, brightness, tint, even shape of pattern. Eventually with great care it will reach its potential.

If the koi is a marginal one, it will be fed an esoteric mixture of color enhancing ingredients including such things as methyl testosterone and other hormones to "enhance" coloration prior to sale. Once these substances wear off, the colors fade, sometimes all the way gone.

Not a new trick, one as old as the fishkeeping hobby. Nowadays such tricks and deceptions extend way beyond a few strange food ingredients. All you need do is go to the tropical fish store. There will be examples of the abomination called a flowerhorn cichlid, (not transgeneic but surely genetically manipulated-trihybrid cross) for big dollars. There will be transgeneic "glow fish" and hearts tattooed onto danios, dyed glass fish, and all other manner of distasteful but quick selling "doctored up" specimens.

In koi the same tricks apply. Pattern changing with dremel tools, tattoos, injected dyes, esoteric feed ingredients, anything to make the sale or make it bigger. So far, I've yet to see any transgenic koi, but I'm sure somebody is working on it.

Saying that, there are legitimate reasons even good koi lose color. Number one would be poor care. which includes such things as bad water, bad food, improper habitat, etc.

While you'll never make a silk purse from a sow's ear, you can take a silk purse and ruin it fairly easily.

Brett
    Thank you for your input Brett, I remember a time when I left the water hose on all night and a few weeks later, the color of the crest edges started to fade away on the Kuhaku. That was the set point of the change for her. Now she looks as if, she is balancing an egg on her head.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    SoCalSun, how big are these fish?
    Watergod would say 14 to 15". Watergod is sometimes bright enough to read a tape measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbear View Post
    Watergod would say 14 to 15". Watergod is sometimes bright enough to read a tape measure.
    LOL...

I'd be very cautious about using any color enhancing foods, especially to the shiro. Many shiros have showa genetics and feeding color enhancing foods could make stray beni show up, effectivally ruining the fish for show. Color enhancing foods also can make the shiroji on any fish get sort of yellowish.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    I'd be very cautious about using any color enhancing foods, especially to the shiro. Many shiros have showa genetics and feeding color enhancing foods could make stray beni show up, effectivally ruining the fish for show. Color enhancing foods also can make the shiroji on any fish get sort of yellowish.
    Thanks CarolinaGirl for the heads up on food coloring, but so far... I have not notice any yellowish change in their skin.

When I do see a change for the worst, I'll post back here looking like this

Meg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast