Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rate My Koi

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Thanks Meg... But, I was hoping I could be part of the grow out.

Meg
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post
    Thanks Meg... But, I was hoping I could be part of the grow out.
    you were also asking about shiro development ...remember?

I am sure evenutally Bito will put together another one, just keep your eyes open.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    you were also asking about shiro development ...remember?

I am sure evenutally Bito will put together another one, just keep your eyes open.
    Indeed, I did... Seen shiro sumi deepen and die out. But yeahhh, I'll keep my eyes out. I have missed three grow out already.

CarolinaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post
    Thanks CarolinaGirl for the heads up on food coloring, but so far... I have not notice any yellowish change in their skin.

When I do see a change for the worst, I'll post back here looking like this
    CarolinaGirl, I notice that my Shiro are slightly red today after I change the water. So I'm not sure is it because of the food, but if it is the food, it will go away if I stop feeding them color food right...

So did you test the water? After the change and the fish turned red?

Quote Originally Posted by mstrseed View Post
    So did you test the water? After the change and the fish turned red?
    First let me rephrase it mstrseed, the shiro turn barely noticeable red or pinkish in color after I cleaned out the filter medium. The water turn a bit cloudy and I haven't had the chance to test the water. But, my kit only test PH anyways, I don't have a complex water test kit. Other then a slight change in color that's barely noticeable, the kois are reacting and eating normally.

The redness you are seeing is not from the food....it's irritation from the some aspect of the water change. If the food DOES cause stray beni to come up, it's my understanding that it won't go away just because you stop the color food. Although it may fade on it's own.

Have you checked your water parameters since the water change? Something is clouding your water and irritating the fish. Ammonia irritation can cause reddening of the skin. you need to get a test kit that will allow you to test for ammonia, pH, and nitrite at least.

Could be the disruption of the filter media causing the issues. I'd suggest withholding food until the water clears. Get a basic test kit for ammonia and nitrite. Inexpensive ones sufficient for immediate purposes can be obtained for just a few dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    The redness you are seeing is not from the food....it's irritation from the some aspect of the water change. If the food DOES cause stray beni to come up, it's my understanding that it won't go away just because you stop the color food. Although it may fade on it's own.

Have you checked your water parameters since the water change? Something is clouding your water and irritating the fish. Ammonia irritation can cause reddening of the skin. you need to get a test kit that will allow you to test for ammonia, pH, and nitrite at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Could be the disruption of the filter media causing the issues. I'd suggest withholding food until the water clears. Get a basic test kit for ammonia and nitrite. Inexpensive ones sufficient for immediate purposes can be obtained for just a few dollars.
    Yeahhh, I was kinda of thinking the filter has something to do with it, as it kicks back old filter settlements back into the tank. But, I think it should clear in days. I agree withe both of you about investing or adding on to my test routine. But, I'll do it when I have time, since I'm still going to school.

It only takes a few minutes to order test kits on-line and only a few minutes to check the water quality. Putting it off can lead to serious and time consuming fish problems. It can also lead to fish death. Maintaining water quality is not something that can be put off until you have time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123