Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate My Koi

Rate My Koi

This thread is dedicated to all the newbies like myself to place an image up and allow season koi keepers critique their fish.

I am considering taking these four kois to a koi show next year. Do they even have what it takes to go into competition? What is wrong with it and what can I do to fix it (if possible)?

Hopefully the more sumi will develop on the showa by then.

If the scratch on the Beni Kumonryu head completely goes away.

Only if Sumi is more develop.

Daihonmei
    none are going to cause people to question why you brought them...after that it depends on whay else was brought.

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    none are going to cause people to question why you brought them...after that it depends on whay else was brought.
    Apparently, I understand that you can enter any koi to a show and no one will question it. But is there actually a strategy behind raising kois to win koi shows. Like, the only time you should take in a koi, is if it pattern is 90-95% completion or is there no such rule since the koi will be rated in several categories and the sum of the total will win it all. For a newly graduated student like myself that has not yet entered the work force during a time of a recession. I would like to know if my koi is up to par and has a chance to win if I decide to dish out the cash. Or does that all really don't matter much?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post
    Apparently, I understand that you can enter any koi to a show and no one will question it. But is there actually a strategy behind raising kois to win koi shows. Like, the only time you should take in a koi, is if it pattern is 90-95% completion or is there no such rule since the koi will be rated in several categories and the sum of the total will win it all. For a newly graduated student like myself that has not yet entered the work force during a time of a recession. I would like to know if my koi is up to par and has a chance to win if I decide to dish out the cash. Or does that all really don't matter much?
    I would say that showing koi a first time with fish that even have no chance of winning a major award is still worth it. The experience you get from packing the fish up to take to the show, bringing it, and going through the process once to get you ready for when you ARE ready to compete is a great investment. year in year out? Maybe not. But after doing it once, you will be there again. If anything, do it just to support the club show you are going to.

I would say it'd be a stress reliever as well during this recession. Take advantage of the free time to do this once if you can afford it. It looks like these are well fed and healthy. maybe not a winner in there, but the showa looks like it has a future ahead of it possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
    I would say that showing koi a first time with fish that even have no chance of winning a major award is still worth it. The experience you get from packing the fish up to take to the show, bringing it, and going through the process once to get you ready for when you ARE ready to compete is a great investment. year in year out? Maybe not. But after doing it once, you will be there again. If anything, do it just to support the club show you are going to.

I would say it'd be a stress reliever as well during this recession. Take advantage of the free time to do this once if you can afford it. It looks like these are well fed and healthy. maybe not a winner in there, but the showa looks like it has a future ahead of it possibly.
    Thanks for your honesty, Ethan. And yes, I do spoil my koi with food. If I don't, LOL, no one else will do it for me.

Now, I have a question... Why is it when I initially buy kohaku and showa. The color of the initial hi was vibrant red and then slowly fades away. Is it genetics, the water, or the food?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post
    Now, I have a question... Why is it when I initially buy kohaku and showa. The color of the initial hi was vibrant red and then slowly fades away. Is it genetics, the water, or the food?
    My thought is none of those necessarily. If it is a solid fish genetics wise, the beni will change in appearance as it grows....usually, you will see a star in the middle of each orange/red scale of darker color. They call this HOSHI. That is a good sign if the koi displays this. To be honest, with your picture it is not obvious that it has hoshi, but I also do not like the lighting in the photo.

it is also possible that as a young fish, it was fed some sort of color enhancing food, and now if it is not, it doesn't maintain the color it once had.

SoCalSun, how big are these fish?

A couple of my better fish had nearly true red-orange color upon receipt, and now have light orange color after nearly doubling in length. I believe this change is the result of moving from very cool winter quarters to warm growing conditions. I believe the redder tones will return as growth slows. In some photos the light orange pigment looks more red than even when the fish first arrived. (Really cannot rely on photos.) Just my thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
    My thought is none of those necessarily. If it is a solid fish genetics wise, the beni will change in appearance as it grows....usually, you will see a star in the middle of each orange/red scale of darker color. They call this HOSHI. That is a good sign if the koi displays this. To be honest, with your picture it is not obvious that it has hoshi, but I also do not like the lighting in the photo.

it is also possible that as a young fish, it was fed some sort of color enhancing food, and now if it is not, it doesn't maintain the color it once had.
    The image was taken in the shade without much lighting cast on it, Ethan. I had bought the Marutin Kohaku when it was only 10" with a perfect circle on the forehead. Now it's 19 inches and more rapidly than before, the circle looks more like an egg shape. I feed them 1/4 EA show, 3/4 lower grade japanese feed with color enhancement, and silk worm. The Kohaku is beginning to gain some of it's color back now. But at lease the "hi" seems consistent all around on a snowy white background.

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    SoCalSun, how big are these fish?
    Utsuri from 12 to 15" in about 3 month, Showa 19", Kohaku 10 to 20" within 2 yars, and Beni 16", aquitori.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    A couple of my better fish had nearly true red-orange color upon receipt, and now have light orange color after nearly doubling in length. I believe this change is the result of moving from very cool winter quarters to warm growing conditions. I believe the redder tones will return as growth slows. In some photos the light orange pigment looks more red than even when the fish first arrived. (Really cannot rely on photos.) Just my thinking.
    I sure hope that is the reason why my koi looks like that. I am planing to feed them less in the winter now on and watch whether the color catches up. Last winter, I feed them like a half a cup or more a day. This year I'm going to try and stop feeding them. Maybe a quarter cup every three days or so.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast