Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Hi Every body, I need your Help.

Fry

Hi Every body, I need your Help.

Hi Every body, am new here in the website.
    Am a koi keeper in Kuwait, and am the only person in kuwait also who had a Nishikigoi, i am importing my koi from Ogata dealer from Indonesia He Is my friend.
    My proplem is the sealant in the pond, befor 2 years i had a fiberglass, and after one year i had crack in the fiber only not the wall because my wall had a ratio of 1 fine sand to 1 Cement. last year i removed the fiber glass and applied Elasto- epoxy. it is a sealant made in USA, it is also expensive after it dry it converted to rubber material, after 5 moth only i found alot of the ruber in the vortex.
    and i heared from my friend in germany he used an ordinary paint for his pond.
    and my questions is, it is Ok to use ordinary paint for the pond, it will not release toxic to my koi?
    second. if it safe, what type of ordinary, there are two types, - Emultion ( water base )
    - glossy (oil base ).
    Best regards
    Essa Bu Hamad

It is very difficult to pin down the potential sources of your problems at such a great distance, but let me toss out some thoughts for you.

First of all, being in a hot climate it could be that the fiberglass was too "hot" when applied as high temperatures can cause it to go off too quickly and weaken it when cured. That could have caused the cracking. You did not mention what type of sealant was used on the glass work, and that could have been flawed which may have allowed water to penetrate the fibers or pinholes causing degradation as well.

It is also possible that the concrete substrate was not properly prepared before application which would prevent proper adhesion and cause instability. This might also explain the problems you experienced with the new sealant you used, but I'm not personally familiar with that product so it is difficult to be certain.

Any sealant used in a pond needs to have the surface prepared in strict accordance with the manufacturers instructions, and just as important the product MUST be specifically formulated for constant immersion in water. Ordinary paints, either latex or oil base are not designed for that purpose and will fail, possibly releasing toxins into the water in the process.

Let me suggest you check in the pond construction forum and review some of the methods and products used. It may give you some ideas for how best to proceed, and also names of specific products to see if they are available for import to Kuwait.

We have several pond professional who post here at times and hopefully they will see this thread and give you some advice as well.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Daihonmei
    Are " Potable water Containers" common in Kuwait? If so contact the people that make them for your special environment.

The short answer is..NO... you can't take what works in frigid Europe and apply it to the freakin hot Kuwait.

But my major concern is the quality of the concrete or the skill of the people ...to have fiberglass fail is rare..unless it was applied wrong or to an unsuitable surface...the same thing with the liquid rubber....
    IT IS NOT THE PRODUCTS THAT CONTINUE TO NOT WORK.....

hi every body, i need your help

A couple of things I'd say
    one the ratio of 1 cement to 1 sand is not very good, you might think that it will be stronger but in fact its not a mix of 4 sand to 1 cement is normal for mortar to lays blocks/
    if you rendered the pond before fibreglass then in heat this could of caused the render to try to quickly shrink and crack. You haven't explained just how the walls are built but they should be block at least 9inch block, then if you pva the wall then apply two coats of render with fibre strands that will reduce cracking. You can apply damp dust sheets over the render to stop drying to quickly.
    Then once the render is cured and the whole pond dry then fibreglass the pond this is still and always will be the best method. with correct render the fibreglass will be fine, the temps won't make it weaker you can adjust the catayalist to give you more working time. Maybe the matting was not emulsified properly. If the temps are really that high then perhaps a cover from direct sunlight is essential as if it cures to quick it will draw the wax to the surface in the flow coat and black becomes grey. Then maybe the work should be carried out at night or something using floodlights 25 oc degrees is max working temp.
    Also the fibreglass should of consisted of at least 2 layer of 450 gram and 1 layer of tissue and the top flow coat.
    si

Fry

thanks for all

Thank you very much for yours opinion, the high temperature mabe the reasons because, when they applied the fiberglass and the rubber sealant the temperature i remember it was around the 30 C.
    hope i can found a good sealant to apply it Nov. month, because the temperature will be around the 20 C.
    The water temperatre in the summer is arround the 28 C, and in the winter around the 10 C.
    i thought it is Ok for the sealant and the Koi, how about your knowledge ?

Thanks you again
    Essa Bu Hamad

Tategoi
    Is anyone else wondering if perhaps dropping in a liner might be a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    Is anyone else wondering if perhaps dropping in a liner might be a solution?
    Plumbing already in place could create issues with that solution. I'd be leaning heavily toward a complete blast and pickling job on the substrate followed up with a geotextile membrane and sealer. Likely more tolerant of temperature issues and definitely difficult to crack and peel.

Fry
    thank you very much, for your Suggestion, i will think about it because it will be hard to crack.
    Essa Bu Hamad