Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Need Help or Advice in Water Tests

Need Help or Advice in Water Tests

We have 2000 gallons pond, 40 Watts UV, Ultima II Filter for 4000 Gallons, Water change every week or every 2 days, and 9 fish, big one is 16" and the small one is 10" , my husband wondering why every time he test the water never change and he think @ least should change a little bit, this was few mins. ago:

Temp 80, Ammonia 0 , Nitrite .5, Nitrate 5 , PH 7.8, KH 120

Can anyone give me a tip or some advice that we can do or maybe we're doing something wrong, not sure

ZULMA.........

Quote Originally Posted by ZUROBI3 View Post
    We have 2000 gallons pond, 40 Watts UV, Ultima II Filter for 4000 Gallons, Water change every week or every 2 days, and 9 fish, big one is 16" and the small one is 10" , my husband wondering why every time he test the water never change and he think @ least should change a little bit, this was few mins. ago:

Temp 80, Ammonia 0 , Nitrite .5, Nitrate 5 , PH 7.8, KH 120

Can anyone give me a tip or some advice that we can do or maybe we're doing something wrong, not sure

If the pond is a year or more old, and you're still getting background nitrite... Might not be enough O2 in the water. What kind of aeration are you running? Those pressurized filters aren't the greatest in dealing with nitrite in my VERY limited experience. They can foul awfully quick. The bacteria munching on your ammonia is a bit heartier but the bacteria that munch the nitrite are kinda "fragile" and like lots of air. With your pond temps in the 80s you really need to get on that aeration. The warmer the water, the less O2 it can hold so as temps rise, you need to increase the aeration.

I hope I'm not too far off here, and maybe those who actually know will reply, but this is a start anyway.

Also, you said you do a water change every week, or every 2 days... which one is it?

Best wishes,

Grant

edit - The nitrate's aren't bad at 5 but you don't want much more than that. The other parameters look good, and your koi do best in a STABLE environment... so change isn't really a good thing. (other than getting rid of that nitrite reading)

Forgot to tell you yes we have 3 12'' airstones and a water pump acting like a waterfall , the water have pretty good movement and aeration, and the pond is like 4 to 5 months old

3 air stones may not be sufficient. What size air pump is running them, and where are they placed in the pond?

You really can't have too much aeration, especially at your water temps.

And at 4-5 months old, your nitrite should be cycling by now. I know it is partially because you're getting nitrate readings.

Was there any increase in feeding prior to this latest test? Or have the nitrites been consistently at .5?

If you can't get the nitrites under control, I would recommend adding some salt to your pond to about the .1 level. (note: that's not 1%, it's .1%)

You're doing a great job of keeping track of your water so far. You just need to get a handle on those nitrites and you should be off to the races!!

Grant

At this point I would have expected nitrite to be undetectable. The KH is acceptable, but a bit low for the Central Florida area if using municipal water drawn from the aquifer. If drawn from a more shallow well, KH can differ widely.

Some rambling thoughts...

It is good to get a reading of the source water and compare to the pond readings. If the source water has ammonia, nitrite or nitrate at detectable levels, it means your filters have to deal with that burden. If KH is notably higher in the source water, you have an indication of how much is getting consumed by the biological processes in the pond and filters.

For the size of pond, the filtration should be adequate. I recall that you had a high stocking rate, which would come into play on the nitrite reading, but you have reduced the population to reasonable number for the current size of the fish. Filter maintenance can also be an issue. Your goal is to get rid of all the gunk captured by the filter, but without harming the bacterial community residing in the filter. With a bead filter, for example, you want to backwash enough to clean out the waste, but not so much that the biofilm on the beads is wiped out. There can be too much of a good thing.

Also, check for soil in contact with the pond and lawn run-off into the pond. These can be sources of fertilizer contamination. Most lawn and plant fertilizers use ammoniacal nitrogen.

Has algae become established on the walls of the pond? If not, it will come. When it does, the nitrogen cycle in the pond will have greater stability.

The 80F temp is pretty good for this time of year for a pond the size of yours. Is this a morning temperature, or late afternoon? Check the temperature late in the day when afternoon shadows start to shade it. At temperatures much above 80F the nitrifier community can get challenged and take longer to get established. [I finally edged below 80F (6-foot deep pond) a couple of weeks ago, but the recent daytime highs in the 90sF (and barely 75F at night) have pushed it back up to 80F. My gals are wanting their "cool" 76F pondwater. Maybe come November.]

The airstones are 12" and I have 3 and they're place in one side of the pond , like one in each corner and the other one in the middle, then is a water pump @ the bottom moving the water and it comes to the top making a lot of air too, now I only have 9 fish in there they're no more overstocked like I use too, the pump for the airstones is a pondmaster 60, I believe was an increase in the feeding prior he test for the nitrates cause they're ok , so I'm going to test again tomorrow morning and see what it comes, the other test was in the afternoon. Mike yes my husband do the backwash weekly and sometimes he do it twice a week, the water came out clean and also he clean the basket too and he's careful in not getting out of the bacteria from the filter. About the lawn and soil they're none cause the pond is cover and have screen, he's the one that do the lawn and he's careful and I'm not saying he's perfect but careful and no fertilizer around so far, also we got a canopy covering the pond so it doesn't get sun, but like I said tomorrow morning I'm going to check the water again and I'll keep you posted guys and thanks again.