Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Custom made PVC liner ?

Custom made PVC liner ?

Whats your opinion on a PVC liner are they any good, and are they safe for koi. I can purchase a drop in custom made 40mm PVC liner, sounds good but unsure?. Your opinion will be greatly appreciated

Zebra

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEBRA View Post
    Whats your opinion on a PVC liner are they any good, and are they safe for koi. I can purchase a drop in custom made 40mm PVC liner, sounds good but unsure?. Your opinion will be greatly appreciated

Zebra
    PVC Liners are safe. The problem with PVC liners are that they become brittle with age, cracking on folds, etc. This is primarily due to the UV rays of the sun (or so I am told). I used PVC liners for my first 3ponds and exansions and always have "issues". Never have had an issue with any 45 mil EDPM liners like I did with the PVC ones.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    PVC Liners are safe. The problem with PVC liners are that they become brittle with age, cracking on folds, etc. This is primarily due to the UV rays of the sun (or so I am told). I used PVC liners for my first 3ponds and exansions and always have "issues". Never have had an issue with any 45 mil EDPM liners like I did with the PVC ones.

Steve
    The liner I'm looking at is custom made and there won't be any folds. It will be installed in a 30'x12'x8' deep concrete pond made to fit. What other problems have you had? how long did it last? if covered with a pergola and not receiving allot of sun do you think it would be OK. Thanks
    Zebra

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEBRA View Post
    The liner I'm looking at is custom made and there won't be any folds. It will be installed in a 30'x12'x8' deep concrete pond made to fit. What other problems have you had? how long did it last? if covered with a pergola and not receiving allot of sun do you think it would be OK. Thanks
    Zebra
    It will still get brittle but at a slower rate. If the liner doesn't move and is well padded it will last longer.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    It will still get brittle but at a slower rate. If the liner doesn't move and is well padded it will last longer.

Steve
    Thanks Steve on average how long did your liners last.
    Anyone know of a company that will make custom drop in EDPM liners.
    Thanks Zebra