Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Bio & Chemical filtration help.

Fry

Bio & Chemical filtration help.

I am building a pond without a lot of money. Heres the plan , I am pumping 3500 gph into a 50 gal barrel with lava rock to use as a biological tank. Until bac grows, i am planing to over flow from top of this to go into another barrel with zoolite & polifill to clean, Than over flow back into pond so I can keep fish in tank now. Will this work ?
    (1) Can I reverse the bio tank for water to come in from top thru 1 or 2- 5 gal buckets, with a bunch of holes near bottom to run on top of bio tank, to create oxigen for bacteria, ( no airline needed & maybe put some polifill in buckets to take out some waste). Still have waste area & drain on bottom, with lava rock on egg crate. Discharge 8" above the bottom into my zoolite barrel.
    (2) Can I run my zoolite and poli fill before bio tank, still creating its own oxigen driping in ?
    (3) If I do bring water into bio tank from bottom and have to add oxigen will a 25 gal aquarium pump grow the good bacteria.
    (4) Probally sounds stupid, but do I need light to grow bacteria, if so how hrs?
    Thanks for any help, especially with pics or links.
    Last edited by fishofexcellence; 09-29-2009 at 10:10 AM. Reason: spelling

Welcome to Koi-Bito!

General comments: The bacteria that you are looking for will grow on any hard surface. More O2 will speed up their colonization. It's best practice to mechanically filter the water before sending it to the bio tank.

If you want more specific answers, please tell us more about your pondLxWxD), where you are located (this matters as you are asking questions about bio conversion which is temperature dependent), is this an indoor or outdoor setup and how many & what type of fish are you keeping?

Best,

~Raymond.

You would be way ahead of the game to avoid trying the lava rock up flow unit. L.R. packs, clogs, and channels easily and because of its weight it is difficult to clean and maintain.

Please give a better description of your planned pond in terms of size, depth, bottom drains/skimmers, settlement chambers, pumps, etc... so we can find a place to start.

You might also want to read through this information;
    Nishikigoi Pond Filteration.pdf (application/pdf Object)
    There are inexpensive ways to accomplish this, but you want to start with the right information before you start digging
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Fry

Tank size & fish

Ok here it goes. If fishing dosnt get the bills paid , I will get a real job and put some Kio in my pond. I hope you will still reply, but the guides dont let out a lot of info on keeping shad and Koi ponds are pretty close to what Im trying to do.
    (1) Shad are the hardest fish to keep alive. Stress from netting, plus they let out a lot of waste when put in 40 gal boat tanks. I filter on boat with polifill, carbon. & 1 -2 cups of salt to harden scales. Water treated with Ultimate. I have also just got in some MS-222 to calm for hauling. So I think I have the hauling part down. I hope.
    (2) Yard tank is a hot tub 6ft by 6ft, 3 ft deep in middle, About 350 gals in tank. Heater & pump is shot, Jets have been pluged. It is above ground.
    The skimer, & tank drain will be running into a 30 gal sump barrel with a 3500 gph pump pushing water up to filtering systym. Thinking of putting a wall of foam or something to help in barrel before pump pickup.
    Than taking advice from both of you and doing the zoolite & carbon first than goinging into bio chamber, and waterfalling out into fish tank.
    (3) I will be running 150-200, 5- 7 inch baits in here, not planing on keeping salt in this tank.
    (4) My plan now is to have water pump T off into 2 - 5 gal buckets with carbon & polifill, than run into 50 gal barrel cut down to about 20" filled with lava rock on egg crate. Waterfall coming out about 2" above crate, with a wash out drain below crate.
    (5) I have just purchased some STRESS ZYME , How long to I have to have fish in tank before bacteria starts doing its job ?
    (6) I live in N/W AR. We can get some cold fronts that last a day or 2 below freezing. Shad seem to do ok above 48 water temp. Tub will be insulated under and also on top when it gets cold. Also have a heating element with thermostate I made that floats on top if needed, a small window air conditioner with thermostate & 30 ft of copper tuping to coil up in filter barrel to cool in summer. I know it seems like im moving a lot of water, but shad are nasty.Thanks for all the info so far and more in future I hope. You can visit my web site to see what I do at
    ( www.fishofexcellence.com ) Johnson Guide Service & Taxidermy.
    Last edited by fishofexcellence; 09-30-2009 at 01:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Ok, just to be clear you are trying to keep shad not koi?

1. Find a way to gently remove solids to your mechanical filter first. Zeolite and carbon are not best used as mechanical filter media. Use your polyfil for mechanical filtration.
    2. After that, I would lift the water to the top of a shower for return to your holding tank.

ref: Four Barrel Trickle Tower and Drum Filter

Ditto that