Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Can you guys plese rate these koi, all critique is welcomed...

Tosai

Can you guys plese rate these koi, all critique is welcomed...

What is wrong with this koi? Anything good about them?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can you guys plese rate these koi, all critique is welcomed...-3-step-kohaku-8-inch-.jpg   Can you guys plese rate these koi, all critique is welcomed...-2-step-kohaku-7-inch-.jpg   Can you guys plese rate these koi, all critique is welcomed...-doitsu-kujaku-9-inch-.jpg   Can you guys plese rate these koi, all critique is welcomed...-doitsu-blu-red-black-11-inch-.jpg   Can you guys plese rate these koi, all critique is welcomed...-goshiki-12-inch-.jpg  

Can you guys plese rate these koi, all critique is welcomed...-orange-utsuri-8-inch-.jpg   Can you guys plese rate these koi, all critique is welcomed...-sanke-2-7-inch-.jpg   Can you guys plese rate these koi, all critique is welcomed...-sanke-1-8-inch-.jpg   Can you guys plese rate these koi, all critique is welcomed...-shiro-silver-utsuri3-24-inch-.jpg   Can you guys plese rate these koi, all critique is welcomed...-showa-8-inch-.jpg  

Daihonmei
    current threads are about Purdin, momotaro, and the West coast show....
    And then you want us to look at these fish...
    the good is that most are recognizable varieties. The Kohakus have the least going wrong on them.
    they will be good pond grade koi, which means the variety can be determined and they will be colorful when larger.

They are all better-than-average pond grade fish. None are show quality. Red in the pec fins, messy beni, yellowish shiroji, too much sumi, speckled sumi.....these are alll things that keep fish in the pond-grade class. But most will look nice in a pond setting, just not a show tank.

1st Kohaku – Beni going into tail and looks as if it’s touching eye
    2nd Kohaku – Beni going into eye, Beni in pec
    3rd & 4th – Just messy
    5th – Too dark, messy, not much of a pattern
    6th – Muddy looking
    7th – Red in pec, Beni looks weak and goes into tail and eyes
    8th – Poor conformation, Beni too heavy in front and weak in the back
    9th – Pattern, at this point, is messy. Shiroji is yellow but depending on age, this isn’t too bad.
    10th – No white on the face, too dark, Shiroji very poor

If you are considering these for your enjoyment in the pond, there’s nothing wrong with them as long as they’re healthy and you like them. That’s what really counts.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Will look nice in your pond, but not for shows. I would tell you to start by learning the rules for each variety. Like showa with all 3 colors on the head and kohaku with clean fins and tail stop. Once you know the rules of each variety..it helps with your choices. You will have fun watching your group grow and change...enjoy!!

Oyagoi
    i find the 4th koi as colorful and wonder what it will do in future with color and such.looks like who is your daddy kind of koi.

Tosai
    thanks guys i just wanted some professional feedback on these koi that i recently bought from a store in upland and westminster, but like i said thanks for those that replied.

Meg
    welcome
    have you been keeping koi for long?
    if these are your first you are off to a great start! if they are your first attemt to get a "type" of koi they are better than my first! LOL.
    see, knowing what your expectations are also help decide what is wrong, per say, with these koi.
    I will say they will change a lot and teach you a lot, enjoy the ride.

in a year or two it will be fun to see which of them you have kept!
    my guess is you could still be hanging on to the first 3 and Paul's WhosYourDaddy, and perhaps the first sanke