Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Erns View Post
    On closer inspection the head on the maruten was not what I had hoped for and I passed on her.
    Apology Brother Erns ,

I thought you confirmed the 1st Maruten Kohaku ...
    You shouldn't have passed on her Brother ....
    She's the best in conformation among the group of Kohaku in the tub .

Regrets

David

Gosanke Galore! Wow, so many quality gosanke! You are definitely a lucky man, Brother Erns!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSoon View Post
    HI Brother Erns ,

Good decision on the 1st Maruten and the rest of the fishes . These Kohakus do have the quality beni and kiwa we would love to see in nisais .

The 1st Maruten , would be your pride 12 months down the road . She will be the biggest girl among the 6 fishes you just bought .
    If your 1st maruten can't even hit 85 bu , then I would presume most of the fishes I just acquired from Sakai will not even touch 80 .. . I believe your 1st Maruten might prove many wrong ...
    Attachment 27812

This was one of my October Yamato Kohaku , which I believe the body is much shorter than your 1st Maruten Kohaku .. shall we use her to guage your fish Brother Erns ?? , ... in 6 months or 12 months time ..

David
    Hey Brother David! good to find you posting here! My first choice was indeed the 3 step Maruten I posted first - you can see I took a LOT of photos of her when I was at my dealer yesterday a few koi friends were present and we agreed she had the best growth potencial from the 4 I selected to grow on this summer. It will be an interesting comparison between the growth at your pond compared to my pond! We can take it one step further I left this auction shining rose sanke (56cm) with Ken to grow on in Japan for a season. So we can compare all of them in 12months!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your thoughts on this one?-sr-sanke.jpg   Your thoughts on this one?-sr-sanke-56cm.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    Gosanke Galore! Wow, so many quality gosanke! You are definitely a lucky man, Brother Erns!
    It's like going to Japan.....without going to Japan! The selection was that good

Quote Originally Posted by Erns View Post
    Hey Brother David! good to find you posting here! My first choice was indeed the 3 step Maruten I posted first - you can see I took a LOT of photos of her when I was at my dealer yesterday a few koi friends were present and we agreed she had the best growth potencial from the 4 I selected to grow on this summer. It will be an interesting comparison between the growth at your pond compared to my pond! We can take it one step further I left this auction shining rose sanke (56cm) with Ken to grow on in Japan for a season. So we can compare all of them in 12months!
    Brother Erns ,

My Yamato Kohaku with your 1st maruten Kohaku , while I would place another similar sibling of your Rose Sanke to compare the growth 12 months down the road . I have no special technique to make them grow super fast or big bcos I'm keeping both the Yamato Kohaku and the Shinning Rose Sanke in a 17 tonne pond for the next 12 months ...

Your thoughts on this one?-09oct-120.jpg

Slightly couple cm bigger than the Sanke you keep in Japan , but I hope these 2 cm can allow me a better headstart Brother Erns ..
    See you next year in this thread again ..... if I can find this thread by next year ..

Brother David - it will be a good comparison I'll post the 4 kohaku I bought when they arrive and record thier size - our fellow koi kichi can make their personal predictions of who will shine - 12 months down the line we can compare -East VS South! My pond is only 35 000l so maybe I have the advantage in that respect - but we know you have the skill

New Kids on the block

I collected my purchases for the next growing season today. Some changes were made as one did not come out of QT in good shape. Challenge today was it was 44 degrees C outside! Getting the koi moved from the airport to my pond in bad traffic was extremely stressfull as I knew every minute was against me in the terrible heat. The pictures were a bit rushed as we did not want to stay out there too long!

Anyway - here they are.
    2 Hosokins tancho sansai.
    3 SFF nissai kohaku
    1 Asagi from Masaki
    2 Nissai showa for Ogata. - this is my first time trying his showa and I was very suprised at the quality of these two. enjoy and let me know your thoughts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your thoughts on this one?-tancho-60cm_400x600.jpg   Your thoughts on this one?-tancho-58cm_400x600.jpg   Your thoughts on this one?-showa-52cm_400x600.jpg   Your thoughts on this one?-showa-50cm_400x600.jpg   Your thoughts on this one?-kohaku-4-step-58cm_400x600.jpg  

Your thoughts on this one?-asagi-50cm_400x600.jpg   Your thoughts on this one?-3-step-kohaku-58cm_400x600.jpg   Your thoughts on this one?-2-step-55cm_400x600.jpg   Your thoughts on this one?-hi-quality_400x600.jpg  

I like body on the Tancho. The maruten slops onto the shoulder. I've looked for a Tancho for quite some time. The only ones I've wanted have not been affordable. Usually I pass because the body was not 'right'.

I'm looking forward to seeing progress shots. You do so well with your koi. At least one of those Kohaku just has to turn out special.
    Last edited by MikeM; 01-14-2010 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I like body on the Tancho. The maruten slops onto the shoulder. I've looked for a Tancho for quite some time. The only ones I've wanted have not been affordable, usually because the body was not 'right'.
    Which one? They're both different each in her special way

no comment on the showa Mike? I was really impressed with the quality of the two - two very different koi as well when it comes to beni, shiro and sumi. You know I'm not much of a 'perfect pattern' guy as long as the quality and frame is there.

Yes, but the maruten goes off the head on each.

The Showa: The first one is bothersome because of the photo angle. I cannot get a sense of the height of the fish and the back quarter could not be as thin in proportion to the abdomen as the angle makes it seem. But, I can only guess on what the proportions actually are. So, no comment... except the messiness of the pattern right now creates that wonderful mystery of Showa. How will she look in the future when the sumi develops and the beni matures? The quality appears to be there. A 4-year project, I think.

The second Showa is the one that appeals to me more now. Perhaps the camera angle and pose over-emphasize a long, lean body structure compared to the first. Nonetheless, it is the look I like in a koi this age. The inherent 'problem' is that the adult body may not have the strong shoulders that give classic Showa their power. That's not bothered the All Japan judges, but might bother those who prefer the traditional look. We could be critical of the beni not having a more stepped pattern, and a bit more beni on the head would be preferable to minimize the risk of too little after the sumi develops, but it doesn't concern me at all. The hi plate just may give the powerful presence even if the shoulders are more Sanke-like in adulthood. Overall quality is very nice.

Guess I've got to say something about the Asagi. I don't like her. Too much red.

Erns, you do realize that your koi have to be evaluated on a different standard than most others' koi, don't you? You've set a high bar for yourself with your accomplishments in raising fine koi. Can't let you become complacent.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast