Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on this one?

Your thoughts on this one?

Considering this one. We can all see the obvious risks here - but what do you think. SFF - nissai - 58cm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your thoughts on this one?-sakai-nissai.jpg   Your thoughts on this one?-sakai-nissai2.jpg  

Hello Erns . . .

Some fish combine power with beauty; like this one.

If I could afford it, I'd buy it.

Best wishes,

Hi Erns,
    Nice kohaku.If you are looking for an over 85cm future koi,then maybe she might not acheive.Nevertheless a good koi and if good price I will buy it...

Oyagoi
    Quote Originally Posted by Koimann View Post
    Hi Erns,
    Nice kohaku.If you are looking for an over 85cm future koi,then maybe she might not acheive.Nevertheless a good koi and if good price I will buy it...

now here is where i need to learn from above quote.

What is it that this koi will not achieve a large size?
    for me not being close to any dealer so i get pics so wondering what i need to be seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by pskorf View Post
    now here is where i need to learn from above quote.

What is it that this koi will not achieve a large size?
    for me not being close to any dealer so i get pics so wondering what i need to be seeing.
    Look at the photos closely again.This kohaku have a very stout body for her age.You dont want this to happen for a nisai koi,the head is short also.My English is not good,hope someone else here can explian better.

Look at the photos closely again.This kohaku have a very stout body for her age.You dont want this to happen for a nisai koi,the head is short also.My English is not good,hope someone else here can explian better.
    These were my initial thoughts, but I am not certain of SFF genetics.

I think bad angle on the body shot. What is the linage of the fish?

First only the photo shows a stout body. There are a lot of factors on a photo to take into consideration . Camera angle, focal length of lens , depth and angle the fish is swimming at. So a photo can be very deceiving . When you have a nisai 58cm and good quality it is quite rare. Then let us look at 58cm with a stout body and one same length with slimmer body. You can bet that the stout body fish will grow a lot larger. It is not like a stout body on a 28cm. Looking at photo I would like to bet that it is a 3g fish
    Regards
    Eugene

Overall a very nice quality SFF kohaku. Check out the thick body, nice and even beni, good sashi and kiwa. I, too, would like to know which line this kohaku came from, but from the looks of the fish it looks like she has Sensuke written all over her - thick & large-framed body w/ kamisori kiwa & light but thick persimmon beni.

IMO, by "obvious risks", I believe that Erns is eluding to the fact that there may be a possible mako (white window) formation on the right side of the second hiban, beni covering the koi's left eyelid, and a very small third hiban making her appear a little head-heavy. From what I know, a sandan kohaku is preferred by Japanese breeders and hobbyists. However, the pattern doesn't appeal to me much because I have always preferred a kohaku with a lot of beni.

As to whether the beni will expand to break open the mako or not, I am not sure and it is a gamble that the owner will have to take. As far as body conformation is concerned, perhaps Erns can share with us what he thinks of the body since he has seen her in person. Perhaps we have reached a limitation in our online forum since pixs can be so deceiving (I have had fat koi look skinny on pixs and skinny koi look like sumo wrestlers). Maybe a short video of the koi might help with future assessment of this and other koi.

There are other reasons that may factor in when it comes to whether to buy this koi or not. Are you considering showing or not showing the kohaku? If showing, then how competitive is the koi competition? How will that body frame do in your pond? Are you okay with the possible "risks" associated with this kohaku? I agree with Eugene that this koi would be somewhere in the 3K range at least.

So interms of growth you would therefore consider this to be a better option? Also 58cm nissai SFF.

For most of us a koi achieving over 80cm is more than enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your thoughts on this one?-sakai-maruten.jpg  

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast