Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter Waddington's ERIC - Endless River In Concrete

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    Thanks JR. I remember reading one of your previous posts about how bacterial cells/biomass and ammonia are attracted to each other by weak Van Der Waals forces and how Jmats are effective in creating eddies and random water flow due to its random intertwining structure. This is the kind of explanation that I was looking for. This further solidifies my knowledge that Jmats and the longthrow types of filtration do work as biological filtration. We have to keep in mind that the worth of any biological system is dependent on conversion efficiency and ease of use. So what have I learned?

1. Aeration is a vital component of any biological system. In ERIC's case, aeration is provided by airstones placed between mat cartridges. This aeration also causes water to move in a random manner thereby exposing more media to ammonia-rich water. However, water will still take the path of least resistance regardless of how much aeration is provided between the cartridges or whether it's horizontal, vertical, or diagonal flow. IMO, in ERIC's case, the percentage efficiency is higher than other conventional longthrow types of filtration because ERIC's cartridges are much smaller than most other longthrow types of filtration.

2. Similar to others' experience w/ Jbrushes, I have used Jbrushes for my biological filtration (yes biological and not mechanical) and they are a pain in the rear to clean. There is also harmless sludge/detritus that settles to the bottom of the Jbrush chambers that require daily flushing and monthly washing. This can be a boring daily maintenance chore esp. when I think about the maintenance-free fluidized bed. Needless to say, these Jbrushes will find good home soon.

There is one more thing that I would like to ask, and that is, is there anything about Japanese mats that may affect fish health, growth, and or skin shine/luster? IMO biological filtration is biological filtration and different media type should not have any effect on the above-stated properties. Am I correct in my statement?
    Yes Lam, regarding the inherent dangers of Japanese filter mat, you are correct in every detail and the subject needs to be addressed right now.

Did you not read the learned Jasper Kujiper's coverage of this that just co-incidentally accompanied the launch of the legendary Nexus unit?

Did you not see the slides he'd produced to show incredibly healthy, bouncing, happy bacteria on the plastic chips and the hordes of gasping, dying, contaminated unhealthy ones on this acutely dangerous filter material?

These slides were also the star attractions of the free lectures given all over the world by him to introduce the system. I heard that some of these lectures went on to produce suicides the next morning although it has never been linked positively.

Of course, I chastised Toshio Sakai immediately for this horrendous mis-information - unfortunately the reply is not suitable to be published on this forum.

Also, do you know that some even dared to question that a still shot of bacteria by electro-microscope cannot be conclusive because one cannot detect if it is dead or alive, healthy or unhealthy - the FOOLS!

Me? I prefer technology any day.

Let us all do our very best to get this evil material banned from further usage!

Waddy.

Banned

A Questionnaire

Mr. Nguyen, thank you for the opportunity allowing discussion of my filter system on the Koi Bito forum.

I'm attaching a questionnaire and would be grateful if your members would find the time to complete it.

Waddy.

ERIC FILTER SYSTEMS – MARKET SURVEY FORM – QUESTIONNAIRE

Q1. Have you read the ericpondfilters.com website in full?

A. Yes – (go straight to Q3)
    B. No – (please answer Q2)

…………………………………………………………………………….

Q2. I did not read the ericpondfilters.com website and so..

A. I decided not to post a reply to the forum.
    B. I decided to post a reply just to go along with some other derogatory remarks made about it.
    ………………………………………………………………………………
    Q3. Your views regarding the use of filter brushes in ERIC systems.
    A. Why revert to something that never worked in the first place?
    B. My granddad died with back problems as a direct result of using filter brushes and only partly because he was 106 years old.
    C. I considered that the brushes were held very tightly in place and could be lifted out in seconds as a single block to reveal no debris below. I then considered the incoming rush of water from the superbly-designed transfer wall from the next stage which would backwash them incredibly well especially when I considered the exit water being taken away via the incredible power of a 4” bore drain which is 12.57 sq. inches in area as opposed to a 2” waste ‘trickle’ which is only 3.14 sq. inches in area. I then considered the 10-second per day discharge recommended and the fact that only 22 gallons of water are in that stage in the first place. After that I also considered that the box could be turned and replaced in every position possible and replaced in seconds. At the end of it all I found it to be well-worth considering and even applauding but seeing as everyone else slated it I decided against it and watched The Simpsons instead.
    ……………………………………………………………………………………………………….
    Q4. Waddy states that ALL upward-flow boxes, intensely-aerated or not and even standard horizontal-flow boxes are less than 20% efficient in allowing ALL incoming water to pass through to supply ALL media surfaces with equal flow and yet says his ERIC boxes are 85% efficient in doing this. His reasons for stating this is that the boxes only operate perfectly when first filled and once the exit water commences (via pump or overflow) serious tracking occurs which completely destroys the upward-flow theory. Please give your opinions on this statement (use a separate sheet of paper if necessary if the standard answers below are not sufficient).
    A. Waddy is barking mad and totally incorrect in every single word he utters.
    B. A pure flight of fancy - Waddy needs counselling – and quick.
    C. He hasn’t a clue about Koi pond filtration – never did have.
    D. A cheap ploy to sell his nasty little black boxes by slating everything else we’ve all grown to know and love. I’m immune from all of this because my high-tech box is heavily aerated and produces downward and side-to-side currents to boot.
    E. OK – he’s a whacko and a has-been but he did come up with one or two things in the past. How about we have a whip round to get him into an old folks home? I mean we’re all going to lose our marbles one day.
    F. I think it’s the most incredible filtration information I have read for decades, of course he is absolutely bang on the nail and I am going to put this to the test although it’s not necessary – it’s just completely obvious. Why didn’t anyone else tell me this before? The man is a genius – he ought to get some kind of an award for this.
    G. I read this information and thought it was rubbish also until climbing in the bathtub last night. I pulled the plug in front of me to empty the bath as normal and then reflected as the water disappeared to waste that this is pretty much the same as a gravity-return ‘overflow’ exit to an upward-flow box only shallower. Come to think about it, the same result would occur if the water were to be sucked away by pump. Anyways, the water right next to the outlet and that directly above it was the first water to be removed whilst the water behind me just sat there and only rushed forward to the plug at the last minute when it got too shallow and just flowed past me with the slope of the bath. By the way, have you tried than new body soap from Walmart yet?
    H. Let’s get a grip here; I own a brand new upward-flow box that cost me plenty. The guy I bought it from has got hundreds of others for sale – some are even multi-box units and we’re in recession. Think of the damage this could do if it got out? This nutcase has got to be stopped – at least until all the existing boxes have been sold.
    I. Ban him from this forum – right now!
    …………………………………………………………………………………………………….
    Q5. Waddy mentions that the ERICMAT media used in his ERIC boxes is the most efficient form of biological media he has ever come across. He also states it is the only media he knows that can be successfully used in horizontal-flow water applications – please give your comments. (Again you can use a separate sheet of paper if the ones below are not pertinent.)
    A. Filter mat went out with the Ark.
    B. He’ll have warehouses full of it to offload.
    C. I’ll stick with my bio-reactor - thanks all the same!
    D. So it’s grey and he’s specified the density – so what?
    E. Wonder how I can get a single sheet? Reckon it will make a great doormat and will look superb with the freshly painted pink walls in the hallway.
    F. He’s mad, how can you possibly have a filter without dancing beads?
    G. Then he always, always goes on about the fact he’s never seen one in Japan – what’s that got to do with it? What do they know anyway?
    H. I’ve checked the make-up of these blocks and find the potential surface area to be quite enormous mainly due to the fact the sheet is only 19mm thick and 30% denser – thus firmer when used submerged in the ‘BLOCK’ water flow he puts so much importance on. This allows more layers to be used and this is why the surface area is much greater than the blue material. Of course the most important thing is that the blocks can be removed and re-placed in seconds to check the box below is perfectly clean. I don’t know of any other box where this can be done without long, hard labour and wastage of enormous amounts of water. On reflection, this is an exciting innovation to Koi pond filtration.
    I. It’s easy to get him off this train of thought here – just mention ‘Japmat’ to him in casual conversation and he’ll go ballistic!
    Q6. Waddy says his ERIC systems will play a major part in removing the threat of hikui, shimi, sandpaper skin and will also go on to produce what he terms as ‘Koi Water’ please give your comments below.
    A. Of course he would, he’s got loads of boxes to sell!
    B. Utter claptrap – ‘Koi Water’ – what’s the next word he’s going to come up with?
    C. How on earth can it possibly prevent all these horrible things, come to think of it – just what are they exactly?
    D. I get bouts of hikui after I’ve had a lot to drink. So what do I do – jump into an ERIC?
    E. He reasons that hikui etc. are filter problems that are not experienced by Japanese breeders because their Koi are not kept in indoor systems for longer than nine months in any given year – after this they are all cleaned and left to dry for 90 days before being started up again brand new. He reckons you can do this with ERIC boxes in seconds as often as you like without the wastage of huge amounts of water. At least he’s making a real attempt to address an age-old set of problems in Koi keeping. Apparently he also mentions he has no boxes to sell as each one is made up to order.
    F. Don’t mention shimi to me ‘til you’ve seen my sister Kate – she’s incredible!

………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Q7. Waddy mentions that ERIC systems all have overflows and drain-line purge assemblies all built in as standard. He also says everything is contained within the boxes and so no valves are used and no pipelines are visible. All they need is to be placed on a flat base and connected to the pond drain and waste drain. Is this of benefit?

A. Not for me mate, I prefer to build expensive concrete walls, ladders and covers to house my filter units in ground. I need the exercise involved in climbing in and out of my underground house daily to turn my valves thank you. It keeps me fit and gives me space to nip down and have a cigarette whilst the wife’s not looking.
    B. Instead of a built-in overflow couldn’t we, for the same money, have a nice, compact digital water read-out with warning lights if things are amiss or a docking station for my iPhone?
    C. Sorry mate, I need valves and wires and lines and pipes all over the place to impress my Koi friends when they come around – it’s all part of the mystery you know!
    D. I must admit ERIC does look fairly unobtrusive when placed in the ground and it does take up the minimum of space I suppose. It is doubtless built to last.
    E. They look like coffins to me - urgh!
    And finally please tick the box below that is the nearest to – ‘My likelihood in purchasing ERIC Koi pond filter system/s is…………’
    A. Not just now thank you.
    B. No thank you.
    C. No chance.
    D. Never.
    E. You are joking!
    F. I need a proper filter system.
    G. Is that a serious question – REALLY?
    H. ‘til men and women stop cheating on women and men.
    I. ‘til thunder don’t follow lightning.
    J. ‘til Honky gets Tonky - again.
    K. Very likely – I’m fed up of buying filter after filter that works – this one looks like a challenge for a change.
    L. I’ve had mine for months and it’s incredible. Came with the bracket attachment to clip on the roof of my 911 turbo, houses all my ski gear plus rubber goods and things for the weekend, looks mean and makes a joke of the prices the Porsche rip-off merchants are asking.
    ……………………………………………………………………………………………………..
    Thank you all for your valued input in taking the time to answer this questionnaire.
    The Ericorp Foundation will use this as a way to continually bring changes for the better of all our products for our world-wide customer base.

LOL ....Waddy, your humor in making your points is quite enjoyable and the very British phrasing softens such sharp points nicely. One of the regulars on this board is Luke. He often expresses himself as outrageously, but without the humor and so bluntly as to rile the natives.

Well, I think we are at the point where concerns over the use of brushes require observation of an established unit in operation; and likewise for the concern regarding the flow rate per hour. At least that is what I would need before acquiring it. I don't think any other issues about the functionality of ERIC have been raised and nobody has come forward to say it does not function as presented. Hopefully after a growing season of use those who use it will post their experiences.

The claims of superiority to all other filters is where things trail off into argument. Having heard claims of superiority for every filter type ever produced for sale, I don't pay much attention to that sort of thing. I think there are a number of filters that work to meet the needs of hobbyists' koi, with the selection best suited to the individual koikeeper being dictated by their pond design, site requirements/limitations, time availability, etc. ERIC may well be more efficient in the use of media. But, if another filter less efficient in the use of media produces equivalent water albeit by using greater quantities of media, I don't think the koi much care. So, it is a question of which best suits the koikeeper's individual situation.

That's my thoughts for whatever they are worth.

Daihonmei
    allow me to be the voice of reason here --- ammonia is used as an ingredient along with oxygen to make ATP a necessary requirement for a cell like nitrifying bacteria to function. IF ammonia is present and so is oxygen try and STOP nitrification from happening--- go ahead, I dare you!

So if we provide a friendly surface , a flow of ammonia laden water and adequate oxygen you have a successful bio-reactor.
    it can be a corner filter box, a hang on outside version, a canaster, a series of boxes, a trickle tower, a sand filter, a fluidized bed, a drip system, and undergravel filter, brush raceways and brush drip systems, my own designed sand cloud filter, an outside upflow gravel chamber, old carbon filter towers, a down flow gravel chamber, submerged plactic forks, plactic army men, chips of PVC, buckets with mat in them, stream beds lined with Jmat, raceways with media --- shall I go on???

Point is they all work and then the only remaining issue is FOR HOW LONG? Some of these clog or become less functioning as time goes by. And much of that is down to media, current and maintenance.

There is no question that Waddy's redoing of his 1980s raceway ( now configured into a zone of connected chambers instead of the old bay design, will work to remove ammonia. And once ammonia is removed, you can't remove MORE ammonia as the job is already done.
    To a great degree, the issue of long term vs short term performance of a media is down to configuration and application. Waddy's version of the home filter uses Jmat. In a previous post in this thread I mentioned the many names and reincarnations mat has gone thru since it's very first introduction in --- wait--- wait for it--- 1969! Yep, the sand mat was used for walls alongside roadways in Japan and the Vinirock was used as air conditioning filter material. In the old days theu were brown to multi colored because the mats were made of scrap fibers and glued together by being placed in an oven.
    Later these mats were made more dedicated to be safer and made with PVC fibers but no longer from some unknown scrap. The companies that made this failed and some workers kept the company going mostly for local and export to the fish industry. So these materials have a long, proven history of working well as a surface to grow bacteria on.
    But as with many things made in Japan, the surrounding Asian countries tend to do knock offs and sometimes even better. The introduction of Matala for instance tended to knock Jmat out of the box based on bith price and selection. Personally I like the spacing in Jmat. But the blue matala is also very attractive at much less cost.

If you wish to make your own endless river design the way so many of have back in the 1980s and 90s, here's what you need to do---

pick an area in the garden or along side the pond and build either;

1) a long run with a few jump walls or with two 4 inch portals. The dimensions can be as long as you like ( Momotaro has one that runs the length and sides of his giant grow out) . Place drains and a false floor for frequent and easy flushing as you will need that to dislodge and disgourage the mulm that accumulates and falls off. the depth of the long chamber can be 24- 36 inches deep. What you want to do however, is have a flat support floor grid ( I used a plastic grid from Benji at Laguna ponds years ago and it still holds up well). Lay a full sheet down ( you might have to cut it more narrow as the chamber is not likley to be as wide as the full sheet) and then use the scrap to make spacers. This holds the sheets apart from one another so that water can flow horizontally. repeat this until you have staked up sheets and spaces to just below the surface of the water. Now depending on the lengthy of the 'river' added additional stacks of matala or Jmat with 10-12 inches distance/spacing between each independent bundle/island or stack of mat.
    If you want to get fancy the way I did, at the end of the raceway, add a recirculation pump that sends water back to the beginning of the river or in a variation, use a spray bar to spray water down onto the tops of each stack ( in this case the maty rises slightly out of the water with spacers and then more sheets form a trickle tower above the submerged pieces. NOW you have water moving horizontally and some falling vertically on the out of water media in a trickling/bakki manner. If this is to complicated, still use the recirculated water at the end for a second pass thru the horizontal flow by reintroducing it at the beginning of the river.
    2) if you don't have the room for this say 20 foot long river then 'bend it back on itself and do 'north to south' runs of 6-7 feet and then south to north runs of 6-7 feet and then back again. It is still the same length of flow just 'folded'.

Again, the advantages of these designs are they can be hidden under decking as the breeders do and although they do risk maintenance issues, if you incorporate a TT and FF you will go a long way towards counter acting the negatives of a endless filter. In the end, it's all good.

If you get a chance to get any of the old New Dimension ( or is it New vision?) pond videos ( they are VHS) you will see tons of the endless river designs. Mostly made of brick or block. It is a vey worthwhile viewing anyway. Nigel Caddock may still have a few left. In the states, I think Bob Bianchi might still have a few. Now all you need is a VHS player! LOLs JR

The claims of superiority to all other filters is where things trail off into argument. Having heard claims of superiority for every filter type ever produced for sale, I don't pay much attention to that sort of thing. I think there are a number of filters that work to meet the needs of hobbyists' koi, with the selection best suited to the individual koikeeper being dictated by their pond design, site requirements/limitations, time availability, etc. ERIC may well be more efficient in the use of media. But, if another filter less efficient in the use of media produces equivalent water albeit by using greater quantities of media, I don't think the koi much care. So, it is a question of which best suits the koikeeper's individual situation.

That's my thoughts for whatever they are worth.[/QUOTE]

That sums it up very well. One very big factor is where you live. A small footprint has a great advantage for winter heating. You would need a permit which you would not likely get as well as pay taxes for any structure over a 100sq ft other than a greenhouse around here.
    Regards
    Eugene

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    From the Bleachers...
    If when Chevy came out with a new car when it re-introduced the Camaro then Waddy has come out with a new filter.

And i also respect Waddy for admitting he was wrong (not in words but in action) by going back to the raceway filtration format and separating himself form filtration systems emphasizing "small footprints" as something worthy of consideration.

And i believe Waddy strongly believes his small modifications are Major and ground-breaking, and that his ideas are completely the way it needs to be to get the pond water properly filtered.

but JR is correct in every aspect of his redress but one, YES someone did it before Waddy..they just didn't get out and sell it like Waddy is/can/will. And Waddy isn't doing anything wrong by wrapping the "new" filtration system the way he is..he has modified raceway filtration...the big change is:
    Do the system work just like the Wadster said? And the brushes get clean by doing the "twenty second pull"?
    IF they do then his "New" filter is an advancement..because right now the knock against brushes is that they are "messy and hard to clean"?

Is ERIC revolutionary? No. It is established, tried, and true. but if the vast majority of the solids are separated by filter brushes and then removed as easily as Waddington posts then the system is a big step forward. Because the main problem with raceway filtration is getting or keeping the raceway free of the majority of crap.

And that my friends, and greater percentage of non-friends, is what all this boils down to.
    So Mr Waddington... Prove it...videos required...high quality raw and TRUTHFUL videos above reproach videos...underwater pics of the dirty brushes and then pull one out and show us the dirt. and then put it back in and keep the video rolling and do the 20 second flush and give us still running video of the brushes now clean...
    That would prove it to a lot of people...
    BTW I believe you are completely correct...I believe your maintenance schedule does indeed keep the filter brushes clean. I feel as though every person that has complained about the difficulty of cleaning filter brushes does it on a weekly basis at best (avoiding the undesirable is an animal trait), and that a DAILY cleaning will result in the deposits being adequately removed by the agitation you promote.

I just want to see it...in a video that can't be questioned...many of us do.

Brush washing is undesirable. Remove the negative aspect of using brushes and you have dramatically improved raceway filtration to the hobbyists.
    First MikeM..while my posts may not be humorous to most I find an extreme amount of humor hidden in the Dim-wiitedest of posts. None of which are yours..your posts are humorless ( and that's a good thing)

Now to the topic of the thread...
    Waddy,
    You have not responded to my post so i recopied it above.
    Point: Brushes are great at attracting (and unfortunately Holding particulate.) if you can prove that the ERIC flushes the brushes as efficiently and as easily and as quickly as you claim then the ERIC is an improvement.

The issue of water chemistry seems to be "awash"

Simply prove every way possible that the brushes get cleaned like you state.

Banned
    First MikeM..while my posts may not be humorous to most I find an extreme amount of humor hidden in the Dim-wiitedest of posts. None of which are yours..your posts are humorless ( and that's a good thing)

Now to the topic of the thread...
    Waddy,
    You have not responded to my post so i recopied it above.
    Point: Brushes are great at attracting (and unfortunately Holding particulate.) if you can prove that the ERIC flushes the brushes as efficiently and as easily and as quickly as you claim then the ERIC is an improvement.

The issue of water chemistry seems to be "awash"

Simply prove every way possible that the brushes get cleaned like you state.
    Of course you are quite correct Luke, I shall work diligently and tirelessly to produce another ream of pages to post on the website that, again, you will not read.
    If you need video footage close-ups with time lapse colour HD photography over a 12 month period then I'm sure my funds will stretch to this even though there's not a cat's chance in hell you'll be parting with any money when you can do it all yourself made from assorted oddments you have amassed over the years.
    Still you will be able to stack my video up in your collection along with all the other standard videos made by all the other filtration manufacturers the world over.
    And then compare!
    Perfection.
    Waddy.

Daihonmei
    Ok
    Waddy
    then just keep on creating reams of BULLSH!T..I understand.... the truth is more difficult to produce when it isn't there.
    You've created quite a bit of pompous postulation...
    You are a master at it...MikeM politely posted that you have humor throughout your posts, he finds it entertaining..I see it for what it is.. a smokescreen to avoid givng a truthful account of whether the ERIC actually does what you say.
    You have No Problem creating BullSH!T..it is truth you seem to find difficult.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    Of course you are quite correct Luke, I shall work diligently and tirelessly to produce another ream of pages to post on the website that, again, you will not read.
    If you need video footage close-ups with time lapse colour HD photography over a 12 month period then I'm sure my funds will stretch to this even though there's not a cat's chance in hell you'll be parting with any money when you can do it all yourself made from assorted oddments you have amassed over the years.
    Still you will be able to stack my video up in your collection along with all the other standard videos made by all the other filtration manufacturers the world over.
    And then compare!
    Perfection.
    Waddy.
    I am saddened that you can not provide a simple (real time, not time-lapsed as you tried to make it appear I had asked more than I had to make it look like I was asking too much) video of the cleaning of the Brush chamber as now I am of the opinion it must not work, and even you must be aware of the shortcomings.
    The ease of cleaning those brushes is the only real improvement over a normal raceway cleaning chamber that the ERIC had going for it. And you can not be bothered to prove it with a video? ...although you have no problems creating reams of british humor...
    Perhaps you have become the Monty Python of Koi.

And I especially like how you went in to defensive ramblings instead of addressing the fact that you have not shown that the system even cleans the brushes as you say... That is exactly the reason that only the needy and gullible will accept your verbose presentation.
    I gave you the perspective of a person that had neither a positive or negative opinion of the ERIC, and the need to put up or shut up....evidently you can't do either...Put up OR SHUT UP.

And as to reading your site...
    Many people can not read your reams of BS because too soon into it they get tired of your attempt to hide the lack of substance with a huge volume of over-the-top style.

And I am sorry you feel the need to dismiss Proving that the Brush chamber is self-cleaning because I am unwilling to purchase The ERIC system from you, and therefore my logical perspective of how you could very well prove to your detractors that the ERIC is a significant improvement over other raceway filters. That is further proof that the system may in fact not do what you verbosely promote.
    Last edited by luke frisbee; 12-03-2009 at 02:33 PM.

Banned
    Ok
    Waddy
    then just keep on creating reams of BULLSH!T..I understand.... the truth is more difficult to produce when it isn't there.
    You've created quite a bit of pompous postulation...
    You are a master at it...MikeM politely posted that you have humor throughout your posts, he finds it entertaining..I see it for what it is.. a smokescreen to avoid givng a truthful account of whether the ERIC actually does what you say.
    You have No Problem creating BullSH!T..it is truth you seem to find difficult.
    C. I considered that the brushes were held very tightly in place and could be lifted out in seconds as a single block to reveal no debris below. I then considered the incoming rush of water from the superbly-designed transfer wall from the next stage which would backwash them incredibly well especially when I considered the exit water being taken away via the incredible power of a 4” bore drain which is 12.57 sq. inches in area as opposed to a 2” waste ‘trickle’ which is only 3.14 sq. inches in area. I then considered the 10-second per day discharge recommended and the fact that only 22 gallons of water are in that stage in the first place. After that I also considered that the box could be turned and replaced in every position possible and replaced in seconds.

????????????
    Short, sweet..........

Waddy.

Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast