Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter Waddington's ERIC - Endless River In Concrete

Jumbo
    Lam-san, I assume its a Tottori Ohnishi's one side flow (river) system....
    Are you going to make another pond or thinking about remodeling? If so, Ogata system is the latest style (in Japan).

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kindai View Post
    Lam-san, I assume its a Tottori Ohnishi's one side flow (river) system....
    Are you going to make another pond or thinking about remodeling? If so, Ogata system is the latest style (in Japan).
    Hi Junichi-san, I am just gathering ideas for my new pond that I will start 2-3 years down the road. I am looking at anywhere from 15,000 - 20,000 US gallons. This Onishi River system is really appealing. Could you please explain this new Ogata system and, if possible, provide some internet links to any build or additional info on it? How is it different from other closed systems? Advantages/disadvantages? Thanks Junichi-san.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    Hi Junichi-san, I am just gathering ideas for my new pond that I will start 2-3 years down the road. I am looking at anywhere from 15,000 - 20,000 US gallons. This Onishi River system is really appealing. Could you please explain this new Ogata system and, if possible, provide some internet links to any build or additional info on it? How is it different from other closed systems? Advantages/disadvantages? Thanks Junichi-san.

I think probably the Ohnishi's one side flow (river) system won't match to your future pond because of the size that you are looking for. Originally the Ohnishi's system was recommended for small size pond owners who want to keep a lot of koi in it and still want to grow them big size. (and as far as I know, it works well for relatively small ponds in Japan).

Btw, the endless system was introduced by Refresh company http://www.refresh-jp.com/2coltd.html ,
    http://www.refresh-jp.com/ei2.htm (on MAKING POND) a couple of decades ago in Japan, the Ohnishi's "river" system as well. Yes, it works well....but a little bit sensitive/delicate because the system is materialized by an elaborate calculation of fish load, flow speed, amount of filter media, etc so that a self -made imitation, looks a like "endless system" does not work well in most cases.

As for Ogata's new system, it was introduced in JP Nichirin magazine June 2009 issue by 11-12 pages, but I can't find any internet links about it. I am wondering if there is any article & pics about the system in English Nichirin?

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kindai View Post
    I think probably the Ohnishi's one side flow (river) system won't match to your future pond because of the size that you are looking for. Originally the Ohnishi's system was recommended for small size pond owners who want to keep a lot of koi in it and still want to grow them big size. (and as far as I know, it works well for relatively small ponds in Japan).

Btw, the endless system was introduced by Refresh company http://www.refresh-jp.com/2coltd.html ,
    http://www.refresh-jp.com/ei2.htm (on MAKING POND) a couple of decades ago in Japan, the Ohnishi's "river" system as well. Yes, it works well....but a little bit sensitive/delicate because the system is materialized by an elaborate calculation of fish load, flow speed, amount of filter media, etc so that a self -made imitation, looks a like "endless system" does not work well in most cases.

As for Ogata's new system, it was introduced in JP Nichirin magazine June 2009 issue by 11-12 pages, but I can't find any internet links about it. I am wondering if there is any article & pics about the system in English Nichirin?
    Hmmmm, is there something that the Japanese hobbyists are keeping from the American hobbyists by not posting the Ogata type of pond system on English versions of Nichirin? To be honest, this is the first time I have heard of the Ogata pond system. Junichi-san, do you think you can elaborate on this type of system? How is it different from other systems? Better yet, maybe you can have Nichirin translate that article for all of us.

Sansai
    I'm following right along with you on this thread Lam. I'm playing with different pond designs for when I move to a new house. I do like the river concept and I'm trying to come up with a indoor outdoor design for the winter months here.

All of that time at Purdins and I never did ask about the river system. I was just into the fish too much.

Tosai

first hand views

had the pleasure today of attending a photo shoot for the eric with peter,
    i must say i had many questions and concerns over what i thought was just another multibay??
    let me tell you it is not! i now,having seen 3/4 erics of varying sizes pulled apart and built again,im convinced that peter is on to something with this new filter design,the horizontal flow design enables the water to move as a block and tries to eliminate tracking,to achieve maximum water to media contact time with an 85% efficiency rating,it futher eliminates stagnant areas(by means of air diffusers) within the filter body which futher diminish the filters performance and allows for much better use of the media contained
    within.
    i dont know if im allowed to post a link to the relevant section on peters site so i wont suffice to say there are some latest news items on the relevant section where he has tried to answer some of the questions raised?
    rigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn ponder View Post
    I'm following right along with you on this thread Lam. I'm playing with different pond designs for when I move to a new house. I do like the river concept and I'm trying to come up with a indoor outdoor design for the winter months here.

All of that time at Purdins and I never did ask about the river system. I was just into the fish too much.
    Bruce, if you don't mind, please share your designs with all of us so we can learn along with you. I, too, am tinkling around with different pond designs and filtration system for when my fam and I move to a new home. I also like the river system and have discussed this in depth with both Steve Joneli and Dick Benbow. My original plan was a pond of 15K-20K in size filtered by fluidized beds and two bakki showers w/ either feather rocks and/or BHM. Then ERICa comes along and I just want to know more about ERICa. I want to know what it is about this system that makes it work and for so many people to believe in it.

Yeah, I was into the Purdin fish too since I didn't ask about their modified river system either. Junichi-san did mention that it's more appealing for smaller pond design with a big fish load, but look at the male and female oyagoi ponds at Purdin. I know that there have been some doubts about the effectiveness of this type of system in numerous forums (including a Malaysian forum).

I want to know more about this Ogata system.

Quote Originally Posted by webkoi View Post
    had the pleasure today of attending a photo shoot for the eric with peter,
    i must say i had many questions and concerns over what i thought was just another multibay??
    let me tell you it is not! i now,having seen 3/4 erics of varying sizes pulled apart and built again,im convinced that peter is on to something with this new filter design,the horizontal flow design enables the water to move as a block and tries to eliminate tracking,to achieve maximum water to media contact time with an 85% efficiency rating,it futher eliminates stagnant areas(by means of air diffusers) within the filter body which futher diminish the filters performance and allows for much better use of the media contained
    within.
    i dont know if im allowed to post a link to the relevant section on peters site so i wont suffice to say there are some latest news items on the relevant section where he has tried to answer some of the questions raised?
    rigger.
    Thanks webkoi. Please do post a link to the relevant section on peter's site so we can all be on the same page. I am trying to keep an open mind here, but I still don't see how the ERIC can be different from other multibay horizontal flow systems. What is the scientific evidence behind its efficacy and broad flow across the submerged jmat cartridge other than massive aeration between cartridges?

I remember reading a post by J. Reilly discussing one theory on why jmats are so effective as a biological media. I believe that he said that it has to do with the ebbs that are created and the different positive and negative charge and how this is conducive to bacterial growth. Now that's scientific! I need more info please!!!!!!!

I also know that a lot of hobbyists in SE Asia prefers this type of filtration. Will see if I can find anything on the Malaysian board. Hopefully someone from SE Asia will see this thread and provide a couple of links for all of us.

Tosai
    for a start the matting used is a different variety to the standard imports available,peter has worked closely with the manufacterers to produce a matting that is much denser(30%)actually,thats almost a third more bacterial growth than conventional matting,and add this to the efficiency of the system and the coverage of the water/contact times,this allows for massive bacterial growth within a smaller more contained area!(the eric 4 containing something like 42 sheets @18"x18"approx)
    but you would be much better asking the man himself!!
    rigger

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast