Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: sakura ogon vs kin fuji

Tosai

sakura ogon vs kin fuji

HI,

Can someone explain something to me? What is the difference between a sakura ogon and a kin fuji?

On a dutch forum this is a topic there.

Rgrds,

wouter

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter67 View Post
    HI,

Can someone explain something to me? What is the difference between a sakura ogon and a kin fuji?

Rgrds,

wouter
    Do you have pics of these Variety?

I believe these terms refer to the same thing: a metallic Kohaku... platinum ground with Hi step pattern. The Hi is generally more orenji in metallics. I consider them Hariwake. Some prefer to use Hariwake in regard to yellow patterning. Some use Sakura Ogon or Kin Fuji to refer only to a nice step pattern, rather than the more random patterning typical in Hariwake.

I suppose there may be some historic difference, but I doubt it remains genetically valid any more.

Kin Fuji and Gin Fuji were very early types of metallic koi popular over 40 years ago. They had a metallic sheen mostly on their heads that reminded earlier breeders of the sun shining on the snow topped peak of Mt. Fuji.

Another type of early metallic koi was called a kin kabuto or gin kabuto. It has a had pattern that was metallic and looked like a samuri helmet.

Another even earlier metallic koi was called a kinbo or ginbo and it was sometimes found from asagi magoi breeding. It had a metallic shine along each side of the dorsal fin.

It is said a certain shiro gin fuji was crossed with a kinbo or ginbo and out of that spawn two baby koi were discovered that had a metallic sheen on most of their bodies and head. This was the begining of the ogon types we know today.

Sakura ogon was a early version of metallic Kokaku with a dorsal flowery pattern that looks like cherry blossoms. Hard to find photos of these early types and they look more like the result of a wild spawn vs the more refined koi we see today.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Wouter67 View Post
    HI,

Rgrds,

wouter
    from what i have read (obviously limited, so would defer to others with much more experience that i)....

fuji refers to a silver speckle or patch on the head or pecs on young sanke and/or kohaku, but will disappear after a few years...said to resemble the snow on mt fuji......

as for the sakura ogon (from the pic i have) looks like a lemon hariwake with an added kanoko finish (dappled hi, darker than the lemon, rather orange)....still with the metallic finish...

Buy "Nishikigoi Mondo".