Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving Koi at 55 degs

Tosai

Moving Koi at 55 degs

Hey guys, I have a problem with my pond as it is leaking water. I have a kiddy pool that i have bought about 1700 gallons. The current temp is 55F. I was wondering if it is safe to put the koi in the temporary tank as I fix the leak.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks!

Since a change in water temperature can really be stressful, can you pump the water from the pond to the pool? That will make it easier on them. Moving koi at that temp is never a great idea, but if your pond is leaking you probably don't have a choice. Do you know where the leak is? Is it possible it is just the waterfall or plumbing?

Tosai
    I have thought of a method of pumping the water into the kiddy pool. The leak is in the middle of the pond. Is there anything i can do to ease the stress?

some kiddie pools, because they are built for well.....kiddies....have an algacide spray incorporated. There is usually some verbage to that extent on the pool, if it is so........please check to make sure this is NOT the case.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    some kiddie pools, because they are built for well.....kiddies....have an algacide spray incorporated. There is usually some verbage to that extent on the pool, if it is so........please check to make sure this is NOT the case.
    The kiddie pool is actually a inflatable Pool (dont know if that makes a diffrence) 3 ft deep x 12x diameter.

I have wiped the inside with bleach and water .

Be sure to rinse it very well.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    Be sure to rinse it very well.

Will do partner !

Quote Originally Posted by Bee_Koi View Post
    Hey guys, I have a problem with my pond as it is leaking water. I have a kiddy pool that i have bought about 1700 gallons. The current temp is 55F. I was wondering if it is safe to put the koi in the temporary tank as I fix the leak.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks!
    I would be concerned about temperature swings at night above ground can cool rapidly. You are lucky as my in greenhouse pond dropped to 45f .
    Regards
    Eugene

Daihonmei
    I'm in agreement with the suggestions you have already gotten but I see an opportunity to maybe make a big picture observation here, if it's OK?

In this hobby we often look for definitive answers to questions. Black and white answers. And the science will usually provide a greater percentage of black and white answers. But the dynamics involving scientific facts that we come face to face with in our ponds and with our koi is almost always 1) more a gray area and 2) an art form more than a string of scientific facts.

In the case of a direct answer to your question-- is it OK to move koi at 55F ? the short answer is yes, it is OK.

the details however would be ;
    depending on the time of year is it OK to move koi at 55F? Now the answer is 'maybe'.
    Next, has the koi been thru a normal summer and fed will and in good condition? Then again , Yes
    Next, can a koi be moved from indoors at 55F to the outdoors which is say, 40F? Now the answer is a definite NO.
    Next, is the koi a new acquistion or a 'family of the school' of many years now? This is an acclimation issue. and often the answer is NO

Finally, It is very very important that every koi keeper be familar with the concept of G.A.S. or General Adaptative Syndrome. This is , in a nut shell, a fish's physiological reaction to 'threat'. In that reaction, the fish's entire metabolic rate and physiology is shifted for a short moment in time, or IF the stressor threat remains, for an open ended period of time. And depending on severity or duration, this can lead to weakness, possible serious illness and sometimes, if unaddressed- death.

So when you consider moving fish, think in terms of time of year, condition of fish, quality of water in which you move them to and finally, the after effects of the move.
    If you find the water temperature goes even lower while you are doing repairs and IF you have adequate space, you might face the possiblity that the fish will need to stay in for this winter due to the G.A.S. effect and risk of returning them to water below 46.5 F ( which is the true shut down temperature for carp).
    Best of luck, JR

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    I'm in agreement with the suggestions you have already gotten but I see an opportunity to maybe make a big picture observation here, if it's OK?

In this hobby we often look for definitive answers to questions. Black and white answers. And the science will usually provide a greater percentage of black and white answers. But the dynamics involving scientific facts that we come face to face with in our ponds and with our koi is almost always 1) more a gray area and 2) an art form more than a string of scientific facts.

In the case of a direct answer to your question-- is it OK to move koi at 55F ? the short answer is yes, it is OK.

the details however would be ;
    depending on the time of year is it OK to move koi at 55F? Now the answer is 'maybe'.
    Next, has the koi been thru a normal summer and fed will and in good condition? Then again , Yes
    Next, can a koi be moved from indoors at 55F to the outdoors which is say, 40F? Now the answer is a definite NO.
    Next, is the koi a new acquistion or a 'family of the school' of many years now? This is an acclimation issue. and often the answer is NO

Finally, It is very very important that every koi keeper be familar with the concept of G.A.S. or General Adaptative Syndrome. This is , in a nut shell, a fish's physiological reaction to 'threat'. In that reaction, the fish's entire metabolic rate and physiology is shifted for a short moment in time, or IF the stressor threat remains, for an open ended period of time. And depending on severity or duration, this can lead to weakness, possible serious illness and sometimes, if unaddressed- death.

So when you consider moving fish, think in terms of time of year, condition of fish, quality of water in which you move them to and finally, the after effects of the move.
    If you find the water temperature goes even lower while you are doing repairs and IF you have adequate space, you might face the possiblity that the fish will need to stay in for this winter due to the G.A.S. effect and risk of returning them to water below 46.5 F ( which is the true shut down temperature for carp).
    Best of luck, JR

Thank you all and JR. Ill have to find ways for a temporary fix. I am afraid to lose my koi's. I would move them but the risk is to great. Although I have been feeding them lots during the summer, I am still not comfortable in removing them at this time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast