Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ryan's Totorri Onishi Streamflow Pond System

Quote Originally Posted by Erns View Post
    Have a look at this one:

Koi San Europe Home
    Thank you for the link Erns. Wow! That's a scary looking and big pond! Is there ever a limit to this hobby?! That to me is a very thought out streamflow system design. 15 meters long and 5 meters wide! The depth ranges from 1.4meter to only 2meters at the deepest end. That is only 6.5 feet deep at the deepest end and it's not quite a slope from one end to the other. Now if I can only read what they are saying. Thanks again Erns. Excellent link!

When I think of the River system, I think of a long and narrow unidirectional flow. The one concern I have with Ryan's male pond system is that it is only 12' long and 10' wide. I don't know if there is any issue with this.

I never liked the in-wall skimmer, even when people were asking for it when we built their ponds.

I think it would be better to put no-niche skimmers at each adjacent corners of the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by stuart t View Post
    Hi,

There maybe a risk of the waste being lifted and circulated by the airated bottom drains, see on my build thread you've put a link to what happened when I trialled an air-curtain at the deep-end. Admittedly though there is a difference in that my air uplifts are only pulling when flushed and the bottom drain would pull constantly.

rgds

Stuart
    Thanks for the suggestion Stuart. Somehow I missed that part of your thread so gotta go back and reread it again. According to Ryan, he will install an aerated BD but will not use it unless necessary. We are just concerned about the water not being saturated enough with oxygen with just the bakki shower alone. Do you think that this is a concern? I don't know how many koi Ryan is thinking of stocking. Knowing how kichii he is, I wouldn't be surprised if he has 20 or 30 male koi in there. If this is the case, then O2 saturation may be a concern especially in the summer months where temp can reach 100 degrees Farhenheit in his neck of the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I am pleased that there are folks willing to try a new design on a new pond of some size. I think most folks are like me, unwilling to spend a significant sum without confidence that the new design will perform at least as well as known designs that are successful. The hope, of course, is that the new design will be better. So far I have not seen anything that convinces me that the 'stream flow' or 'fast flow' design is better than the 'British design' of centered bottom drains with air domes and circular flow. Good results with shower filters seems to be a significant part of the success people perceive. I am not ready to attribute improved koi development to a new pond design rather than improved filtration. The Yume Koi link is interesting in that respect. Of course, many of the ponds featured in the Yume Koi review are enclosed, indoors or have a solid roof. That is a different environment than a pond subject to external 'inputs'.
    Thanks Mike. I agree with you that each pond is a unique closed system and there are many factors that can affect that particular system. This is why it is so difficult to assess how much each factor contributes to koi parameters such as health, growth, skin luster, etc. And yes, Ryan's pond will be outdoor. This is why we shied away from an airlift system and went with a 4" BD feeding a Cetus Sieve.

I hope to use Ryan's Onishi streamflow system as a small model to my bigger 15K - 20K US gallon pond that I will be building sometimes in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    Settlement chamber before the BD's pump
    Luke, IMO, the Cetus Sieve acts as a very efficient mechanical filter so I don't think a SC is necessary. IMO, the Cetus Sieve is very effective in that it removes solids from the water column quickly whereas solid wastes sit in the settlement chamber or bottom of pond awaiting to be dumped. A little expensive but may be worth the investment, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    I never liked the in-wall skimmer, even when people were asking for it when we built their ponds.

I think it would be better to put no-niche skimmers at each adjacent corners of the pond.
    Tonio, care to share why you would prefer no-niche skimmers over in-wall swimming pool type skimmers? I don't like the looks of the no-niche skimmers in my pond and am afraid that it can cause injuries to the koi.

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    Settlement chamber before the BD's pump
    Not needed, the Cetus is used.

Quote Originally Posted by stuart t View Post
    Hi,

There maybe a risk of the waste being lifted and circulated by the airated bottom drains, see on my build thread you've put a link to what happened when I trialled an air-curtain at the deep-end. Admittedly though there is a difference in that my air uplifts are only pulling when flushed and the bottom drain would pull constantly.

rgds

Stuart
    Stuart, thanks for resplonding, if you were to do it again would you rather use the Cetus instead of airlift for the drains on timer?

Sheesh Ryan, it's about time you joined in on the conversation. I thought I was going to have to fly down to your neck of the wood to build your pond for you, too!

Ryan, did you see Ern's link? Now that's one heck of a river system!

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    Luke, IMO, the Cetus Sieve acts as a very efficient mechanical filter so I don't think a SC is necessary. IMO, the Cetus Sieve is very effective in that it removes solids from the water column quickly whereas solid wastes sit in the settlement chamber or bottom of pond awaiting to be dumped. A little expensive but may be worth the investment, IMO.
    yeah you're right..I looked at the skimmer set up and thought about putting in a settlement chamber and then thought, "Nope all the stuff going through the skimmer is floating"..and then just looked for a settlement chamber on the BD because that is where one would be...and the cetus didn't register with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    Sheesh Ryan, it's about time you joined in on the conversation. I thought I was going to have to fly down to your neck of the wood to build your pond for you, too!

Ryan, did you see Ern's link? Now that's one heck of a river system!

You're doing a fine job, no need for me to interupt.

Yes, saw the link, since my French is limited (non existent) can you translate it?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast