Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: trickle tower question

trickle tower question

Merry Christmas to all first and foremost. I have been roaming on the forum reading all I can about TT and built 1 with 4 stages. First 2 trays have filter media and 2 lower trays have lava rock with bacteria house. I have a 2200 gallon pond and the pump is turning it over once a hr. Apparently I missed something because I just found threads today stating I need mechanical filtration as well as the TT. So here is the question.. I have a new 1hp pump, I can set a additional bottom drain to the pond, and i have a DE (cartridge) filter from a old friends pool. Will the DE filter work or do I absolutely need a rock or sand filter?
    Yes the water is foaming apparently from doc. water temp is @70f
    Any input would be greatly appreciated
    stock levels
    1 20" Goshiki (avitar)
    1 22" Showa
    1 15" Showa
    1 16" Hi Utsuri
    1 13" Hi Utsuri
    1 12" Yellow Ginrin Ogon
    3 9" Sanke

I'm sure everyone is in Christmas mode. I don't think my koi will perish without the mech filter. I'll drain the water once a week or so until someone can help answer my question.
    Merry Christmas

How old is the pond and what are the dimensions of it? Do you have a bottom drain on it now and what are you currently using for filtration besides the TT? Please post pics of your pond.

What "filter media" are you using in the first 2 trays?

I have no experience w/a DE filter so I cannot comment on this but maybe someone else will.

Is your 1 hp pump a pool pump?

When you say you'll drain the pond, how much water will you remove?

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    How old is the pond and what are the dimensions of it? Do you have a bottom drain on it now and what are you currently using for filtration besides the TT? Please post pics of your pond.

What "filter media" are you using in the first 2 trays?

I have no experience w/a DE filter so I cannot comment on this but maybe someone else will.

Is your 1 hp pump a pool pump?

When you say you'll drain the pond, how much water will you remove?
    Our pond is 8 months old. It is 12 x 8 in a oval/triangle shape. Bottom drain is being pulled by a 1hp pool pump. The pond is 3' in depth and I usually drain 6" every 10 days.
    The filter media is coarse white. Not sure what you call it? 2nd tray has boi balls and white filter media. 3rd & 4th tray have the lava rock & BH.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

better pics, this is before the TT installation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trickle tower question-koi-pond-1371.jpg   trickle tower question-koi-pond-1372.jpg   trickle tower question-koi-pond-1379.jpg  

The reason for a mechanical pre-filter is to capture algae glarf and debris so it can be removed from the pond system and not decompose in the system. For example, my Bakki is fed from a skimmer which has a leaf basket and a filter mat. These capture a tremendous amount of glarf that would otherwise get caught in the BH media and rot in the shower. Even this was not sufficient to suit me, so I have placed mats on top of the media in the top tray to capture what is missed in the skimmer filter. I check these weekly and typically clean about every three weeks. You might try mats in your top tray until you figure out how to include a better pre-filter in your system.

My guess is that 'DE' refers to diatomaceous earth. This is an extremely effective mechanical filtration media... too effective for use on a pond. It will clog too quickly. It is best used with aquaria.

Thank you Mike for your response. I already have the extra pump, so in theory I could pull out the de filters, housing, etc, and insert matting rolls. Then clean those out as needed and it would do the job? In essence it should, right?

Using the mat will be an improvement. Eventually you will want to re-design the overall filtration system. For example, it would be better to have the bottom drain flow by gravity to a sieve or vortex settlement chamber, and then pump to the shower filter. Few folks do a 'perfect' system all at once from the beginning. (No 'perfect' system actually exists, except in Nature.) There is a lot of learning along the way. So, a step at a time... You'll hear that koikeeping is a journey. Some find what suits them along the way. Others never stop moving further up the mountain.

BTW, no more koi. You are fully stocked for the size of pond and fish you now have. As they grow, you will need to find homes for a few. Eventually, 6 or 7 will be about right. Maybe fewer if the filtration cannot keep up. (Better for you to choose which goes than to leave it to disease arising from overcrowding and deteriorating water.) But, you have time before needing to think too much about it.

Have a merry Christmas season.

Mike, you have a Merry Christmas yourself. Thanks again for your advice in this matter. We are going to have a beauty contest in spring to drop our load to around 10 from 20 koi. Next step is converting our pool to a pond with breeding tanks in the next 2-3 years. (much more planning and designing) We have been smitten by the hobby and the journey continues. Happy New Year to you Mike.

Well Ain't you just lucky
    You are pretty darned close to some seriously top notch Koi hobbyists, several of whom are members of this forum
    Here's a little list of Koi Clubs you might want to peruse. Joining a Koi local Club will hook you up with some great people who are at least as hooked as you are
    AKCA Clubs.

• Austin Pond Society - Glen Hubenthal 512-863-4356 E Mail Web Site
    • Amarillo Koi Club - Gary Floyd 806-353-4798 E Mail Web Site
    • Dallas Koi Kichi Group - Arley Hulstrand 940-387-7438 E Mail Web Site
    • Koi & Watergarden Club of North Texas - John Ames 214-337-1961 E Mail Web Site
    • Las Pampas Koi & Watergarden Society - Loyd Waters 806-665-6466 E Mail
    • Lone Star Koi Club - Houston - Royce Christian 281-367-2025 E Mail Web Site

Moto Kara KoiKai - David Waller 713-520-6544E Mail Web Site
    North Texas Watergarden Society - Joe 971-994-1140 E Mail Web Site
    Southwest Koi & Pond Society - El Paso - Ralph Smith E Mail Web Site
    Texas Koi & FG Soc - San Antonio - Ray Jordan E mail Web Site
    Water Garden Club of South Texas - Beverly Moore 210-403-2947 E Mail Web Site

or this one...

Moto-kara koikai ZNA -
    David Waller
    1840 Portsmouth
    Houston, Texas 77098
    713-520-6544
    fax; 713- 874-055
    [email protected]

Dot Wilbanks
    409-948-2128
    [email protected]
    www.mkk-zna.com