Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ballou Filter from 1989!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh waddy?

Nisai
    Happy New Year all.

I see the usual fan club is in the thread, JasPR and Luke. I think everyone can tell you are both 100% against Waddy and his ways even to the point now Luke you are trying to dismiss the 'bottom' drain as a sales gimmick.

Why don't you both stop the character assassination, and instead of the hate, do something constructive and positive towards the koi hobby?

This thread is going to end up the same as the other, Luke beating his chest in the hope that people take his side and insulting Suzy, and well just nothing positive towards a thread.

I think even if the head honcho of NASA said ERIC made sense Luke would still disagree.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Andydon View Post
    Happy New Year all.

I see the usual fan club is in the thread, JasPR and Luke. I think everyone can tell you are both 100% against Waddy and his ways even to the point now Luke you are trying to dismiss the 'bottom' drain as a sales gimmick.

Why don't you both stop the character assassination, and instead of the hate, do something constructive and positive towards the koi hobby?

This thread is going to end up the same as the other, Luke beating his chest in the hope that people take his side and insulting Suzy, and well just nothing positive towards a thread.

I think even if the head honcho of NASA said ERIC made sense Luke would still disagree.
    Your assessment is accurate, Andy. I too was hoping for more appropriate conversation on this thread and more REAL information. No-one has yet said to me "Try this filter instead, I'm sending you a video of the purging of it, plus you can even see what's inside."

Just a few pointers to Luke, as an aside:

1) "Ma Chérie" is addressed to a lady.(feminine)
    2) "Mon Chéri" is addressed to a gentleman.(masculine)
    3) "Mon Chérie" does not exist, unless one is particularly ambiguous concerning his (or her) preferences!!

Long life and Happy New Year to our lovely Koi and the water in which they
    happily swim.

Daihonmei
    Good Morning Suzy and Andy, and a happy and healthy New Year to you both!

My feelings towards Waddy are strong indeed. But the core of my posts are only an attempt to keep things real and too keep the hype to a minimum. I'm doing this by introducting historical perspective to the ego driven commercial Waddy is attempting to construct here. In reagrds to his presentation, all I can say is that it must have 'sounded better' in his mind as he typed this stuff than it actually reads to the informed public.
    So my personal issues with Waddy aside, I think it is important to place the endless river ( a Japanese term for a recirculationing horizontal flow filter system) in context.

Andrew, you are suggesting here that I DO something for the koi hobby instead of hounding Waddy in the area of salesmanship. Your kidding right?
    I mean I'm the guy who wrote the chapter on water quality in his book!!
    Beside's waddy's book , I write for several other publications. I'm a koi judge and like to think I help a lot of people to care for their koi and come to know the entire dimension of the koi hobby in all it's fascets.
    I helped start the first serious Health hotline and am currently on the KHV committee charged with finding research and reorganization of the program. I work very actively within ZNA and strive to keep the soul of Nishikigoi alive here in America, as a Japanese Centric concept. One way we do this is to put on ZNA seminars ( live) for the single purpose of raising the level of koi appreciation as art amongst the membership.
    Each year I spend thousands of dollars of my own hard earned money to travel to koi shows to help judge them. To date I've completed something like 65 or so shows held within 6 countries and three continents.

I could go on, Andrew. But as Waddy would say " I'm just too modest to go any further". LOLs

Seriously, I need to ask--- We have never heard of Suzy and Andy until Waddy started his rise from the drain and back into 1980s marketing. So Please Andy, tell us something about yourself--
    Regards, JR

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Good Morning Suzy and Andy, and a happy and healthy New Year to you both!

My feelings towards Waddy are strong indeed. But the core of my posts are only an attempt to keep things real and too keep the hype to a minimum. I'm doing this by introducting historical perspective to the ego driven commercial Waddy is attempting to construct here. In reagrds to his presentation, all I can say is that it must have 'sounded better' in his mind as he typed this stuff than it actually reads to the informed public.
    So my personal issues with Waddy aside, I think it is important to place the endless river ( a Japanese term for a recirculationing horizontal flow filter system) in context.

Andrew, you are suggesting here that I DO something for the koi hobby instead of hounding Waddy in the area of salesmanship. Your kidding right?
    I mean I'm the guy who wrote the chapter on water quality in his book!!
    Beside's waddy's book , I write for several other publications. I'm a koi judge and like to think I help a lot of people to care for their koi and come to know the entire dimension of the koi hobby in all it's fascets.
    I helped state the first serious Health hotline and am currently on the KHV committee charged with finding research and reorganization of the program. I work very actively within ZNA and strive to keep the soul of Nishikigoi alive here in America, as a Japanese Centric concept. One way we do this is to put on ZNA seminars ( live) for the single purpose of raising the level of koi appreciation as art amongst the membership.
    Each year I spend thousands of dollars of my own hard earned money to travel to koi shows to help judge them. To date I've completed something like 65 or so shows held within 6 countries and three continents.

I could go on, Andrew. But as Waddy would say " I'm just too modest to go any further". LOLs

Seriously, I need to ask--- We have never heard of Suzy and Andy until Waddy started his rise from the drain and back into 1980s marketing. So Please Andy, tell us something about yourself--
    Regards, JR
    I will look forward to your forum post regarding trying to keep the hype down to a minimum for EA then?, the 'new' 210 and 310?

I've only seen a couple of posts regarding his presentation and the amount he writes, a lot seem to like it, but it's like most things in life, you won't get many compliments, but as soon as someone has a complaint they will be onto commenting straight away. And to be fair, I have yet to see another filter manufacturer try and explain flow patters and pond building the way he has. To which either people disagree or agree, thats life.

You mention again, the term 'Endless River' is from a Japanese term, I don't think or can find that he came up with that term?, he's used it for the name of the filter... which lot's of other companies use words and phrases that probably have been used time and time before...

JasPr, Putting aside the fact I am obviously trying to defend one side, it's unfortunate that I've only seen one side of you, through these posts, it unfortunately does not paint a pretty picture of yourself, I am sure you are really nice in real life, and it's great that you help out so much, I could probably try and read through all the posts on this forum to try and get a better picture, but time is taken up on other parts of my life.

See, even your last line of your post has to have another 'pot shot' at Waddy.

Myself: I've posted this before in the other thread I think, but:

I am 30, wife and two kids, I am a self-employed Graphic Designer and a Apple Macintosh Certified Technician, previous pond experience - non apart from a very badly made one, currently digging a new pond, aiming for around 4500 UK Gallons. I came across Waddy's new filter idea back in August from another UK forum user, read through what information he had on his website, I then called him about it, we spoke for about 2-3 hours on the phone, more about the pond build than the filter, after a few more phone calls, then we started to create the new website, create all the diagrams etc etc.

So, yes, I am one of those young new comer's to the Koi Keeping hobby, as to why I've picked ERIC as my filtration, Footprint, Ease of use, Materials involved, water flow through the filter and I've seen them working on real ponds.

I am also sure Luke's probably a nice guy as well, again, unfortunately again, on the posts he's written comes across as not so.

Daihonmei
    Nice to meet you formally Andrew. I kinda sensed you had a vested interest in the success of the product. But nothing wrong with that! But your view 'might' be a little clouded. Waddy has a gift and you are his natural prey- a young male newbie.
    Now I will remind you--- I said the concept of endless river is real and used extensively in the 1970s-80s. It was the first step away from garden pond type filtration. And please hear this-- I OWN an endless filter design and have since 1985! I do NOT own a fluidized bed filter by EA or any other manufacturer, although I designed and installed one 30 years ago on a major NYC area marine import facility ( the year you were born, likely?).
    Now there's no one more passionate then a Newbie when it comes to what they use vs what others use. It is the stuff that makes these boards so fiesty. The EA's product is a good one and I see some weaknesses. But the problems are addressed regularly and in the general population there is also a pride of ownership.
    The CONCEPT of fluidized beds is a well studied one. It works- there really is nothing else to be said. Which works 'better'? ON paper, the fluidized bed is a superior design compared to static media. That is a fact and one that is not up for debate. The devil's in the details however so lots of room to point out BOTH the benefits and negatives of fluidized beds based on conditions and applications.
    At the end of the day, once ammonia is gone, it is gone. Job done. And much of the chatter is marketing and arguing how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.
    Andrew, if you think I'm a Pratt for smacking down your new best friend, I can live with that. But I've known the guy for 22 years. You have known the guy for what? one? The truth is I am closer in age to waddy than you and I think I'm a tad wiser that the assessment ability of a 30 year old with stars in his eyes? Indeed I know Waddy and how he thinks and how he manipulates. 22 years, son. Think about that.
    As for my 'image' , you really don't know me at all. If you check the posts on NI, KOI SHACK, KOI VET, KOI BITO and ZNA AMERICA, you will find that I have written thousands and thousands of posts. On this sight alone, I have had 3 screen names ( JR, James P and JasPR) due to log on problems. Each name must have a total count in the 2000- 3000 range? Of those, I'd guess that 80% are pure koi subject--- That's an estimated 6000 posts about koi, koi health, koi husbandry, koi history, koi from a Japanese perspective, koi travels, koi judging, koi appreciation, filtration and pond mantenance. 10% are likely aggressive debates regarding dealer behavior, manipulations of innocents and general back and forth with anons. In this area, I'm drawn to the 'good fight'. If , and I believe it is true, that I have gathered enemies- then know me by the enemies I have made. I'm 100% OK with that assessment.
    As I often say, " all things will become clear in time". JR

MCA
    Andy,

A suggestion...join your local BKKS section, if possible also a local ZNA Chapter.

Start asking about and discussing pond system design with others that have years of experience. Research first, design, revise, get peer reviews from other club members, revise again. And only after a long series of research, reviews, and revisions.....put spade to earth. It is much easier to undo on the screen than once the concrete is poured.

Wishing the best to you, your family, and your wet pets.

I am 30, wife and two kids, I am a self-employed Graphic Designer and a Apple Macintosh Certified Technician, previous pond experience - non apart from a very badly made one, currently digging a new pond, aiming for around 4500 UK Gallons. I came across Waddy's new filter idea back in August from another UK forum user, read through what information he had on his website, I then called him about it, we spoke for about 2-3 hours on the phone, more about the pond build than the filter, after a few more phone calls, then we started to create the new website, create all the diagrams etc etc.

So, yes, I am one of those young new comer's to the Koi Keeping hobby, as to why I've picked ERIC as my filtration, Footprint, Ease of use, Materials involved, water flow through the filter and I've seen them working on real ponds.

I am also sure Luke's probably a nice guy as well, again, unfortunately again, on the posts he's written comes across as not so.[/QUOTE]

Andy nice to hear and I can think back when I was 30 year old and had 2 young children. Wish I could do it over again. I was so lucky to have settled in the best country in the world and lived through what is likely to be the best times for mankind. We celebrated the new year with the same friends for the last 48years but there are only three couples left which was sad. To day I was greeted with a winter wonderland and took my dogs for an HR walk.
    You reminded me of a graphic designer that hired me for a photo shoot back in the eightys. THis involved arial photography and hireing a float plane with door removed. He wrote the cheques and I forwarned him. I lost a few days time he lost a lot more. My advice in these difficult times is to forget about Koi till you have paid of your house. Or may be just buy Waddys books and study them for some time.
    Before anything is manufactored a carefull study should be made of the market and the product. Even before the recession the koi market had a downturn in Britain this creates a high risk factor going in to this field.
    So selling has to be done outside of Britain. A network of distributers needs to be set up or find ones that are willing to take on another product
    One big factor is shipping and that is by container. To fill a container one might have to arrange shipment with a competitors product. Certainly no distributer would want somone that criticises his other products. To manufacture anything at all one has to have volume enough to run the plant at a minimum of 70% capacity. Neither could you ship one single filter to California from Britain as it would cost at least 5 times for a comparable filter in the US. Which brings us to the feasibility of competing
    against a US manufactorer. I would say very difficult for a British company right now.You must understand that in $value the US still the leader in manufactoring. Making matters worse is the fact that the US $ has dropped and its citizens are mortgaged for at least the next generation.
    In conclusion I would advise you to hold on to your pennies as the world was in a desperate situation and took desperate mesures which are still unproven.
    Regards
    Eugene

Banned

CV time?

Hi, Jasper,

Piano studies at the Paris Conservatory, now a concert pianist and teacher in a major Conservatory in France. Koi pond since April. Koi since June. Elementary filter system. Contacted Waddy through my local Koi Club. Spent hours on the phone with him. Free info on bettering pond conditions. No notice of ERIC until I happened on it on Waddy's site. Studied it and other filter options with physics professor. Contacted Waddy to order ERIC. Waddy saying "Are you sure you want one? Expense in sending." My saying "I want one." Never have met the guy. A real "human being." Never met you, either. Hope to continue in this vocation.
    Friends here ordering same after reading site. Sister in California and her friends ordering ERIC after reading site.My going on last thread. Insults and sexual comments for me. Insults and slanderous remarks to Waddy. Disgust on my part.No positive info for me on filtration units outside of ERIC. No videos of the guts of a Nexus. Back on 2nd thread-"hope springs eternal.." Finding it grossly familiar."It seems to me I've heard that song before..."

After all this experience, I hope to get the job! (By the way, if it includes insulting people without looking into their eyes, I won't be apt.

With my chosen sentiments, happy new years' resolutions.

Nisai
    Nice to meet you formally Andrew. I kinda sensed you had a vested interest in the success of the product. But nothing wrong with that! But your view 'might' be a little clouded. Waddy has a gift and you are his natural prey- a young male newbie.
    Andy will do, Andrew is the sunday name when I am in trouble from my mum.

The only 'vested' interest i have is the fact I am buying one. My view is not clouded, before I spoke to waddy I spent many months looking through forums and speaking to local dealers about pond set-ups, i am not into DIY so, building a DIY filter is out of the question (apart from the pond build, to which I will be getting help from my brother who is a labourer) and whichever professionals I need to finish the job. So nothing is 'clouding' my judgement.

Now I will remind you--- I said the concept of endless river is real and used extensively in the 1970s-80s. It was the first step away from garden pond type filtration. And please hear this-- I OWN an endless filter design and have since 1985! I do NOT own a fluidized bed filter by EA or any other manufacturer, although I designed and installed one 30 years ago on a major NYC area marine import facility ( the year you were born, likely?).
    79 if you really want to know, Yes, JasPR, you've said countless times about the Endless River over and over, am I arguing that point?

Now there's no one more passionate then a Newbie when it comes to what they use vs what others use. It is the stuff that makes these boards so fiesty. The EA's product is a good one and I see some weaknesses. But the problems are addressed regularly and in the general population there is also a pride of ownership.
    The CONCEPT of fluidized beds is a well studied one. It works- there really is nothing else to be said. Which works 'better'? ON paper, the fluidized bed is a superior design compared to static media. That is a fact and one that is not up for debate. The devil's in the details however so lots of room to point out BOTH the benefits and negatives of fluidized beds based on conditions and applications.
    I can not be biased towards any one product vs another, simply because this will be my first proper koi pond filter - AGAIN, i've looked into all different types and looked AT ALL the information and LOOKED at my garden - guess what, the ERIC came out the winner.

At the end of the day, once ammonia is gone, it is gone. Job done. And much of the chatter is marketing and arguing how many angels can fit on the head of a pin.
    Andrew, if you think I'm a Pratt for smacking down your new best friend, I can live with that. But I've known the guy for 22 years. You have known the guy for what? one? The truth is I am closer in age to waddy than you and I think I'm a tad wiser that the assessment ability of a 30 year old with stars in his eyes? Indeed I know Waddy and how he thinks and how he manipulates. 22 years, son. Think about that.
    Was everything in black and white back then as well, gramps?

And yes, I have a life-size cut out of the wadster himself, also got him as my desktop picture.

As for my 'image' , you really don't know me at all. If you check the posts on NI, KOI SHACK, KOI VET, KOI BITO and ZNA AMERICA, you will find that I have written thousands and thousands of posts. On this sight alone, I have had 3 screen names ( JR, James P and JasPR) due to log on problems. Each name must have a total count in the 2000- 3000 range? Of those, I'd guess that 80% are pure koi subject--- That's an estimated 6000 posts about koi, koi health, koi husbandry, koi history, koi from a Japanese perspective, koi travels, koi judging, koi appreciation, filtration and pond mantenance. 10% are likely aggressive debates regarding dealer behavior, manipulations of innocents and general back and forth with anons. In this area, I'm drawn to the 'good fight'. If , and I believe it is true, that I have gathered enemies- then know me by the enemies I have made. I'm 100% OK with that assessment.
    As I often say, " all things will become clear in time". JR
    Did you miss the point where i said you were probably really nice in real life or did you decide to skip that as well?, then did I even question the fact you did so much in the previous post and then I went to say - 'and it's great that you help out so much', but no, you are to busy concentrating on my age.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Andy,

A suggestion...join your local BKKS section, if possible also a local ZNA Chapter.

Start asking about and discussing pond system design with others that have years of experience. Research first, design, revise, get peer reviews from other club members, revise again. And only after a long series of research, reviews, and revisions.....put spade to earth. It is much easier to undo on the screen than once the concrete is poured.

Wishing the best to you, your family, and your wet pets.
    Thanks MCA, but no need to, I've spoken to enough people, as I said above, spoken to about 3 koi places - all had different opinions, spoken to about 4 other people with koi ponds, again, they had different opinions, and visted 2 different koi forums, again, lots of different opinions. I ended up talking to Peter, and AGAIN, he did not initially try to sell me ANYTHING - at the time we spoke, it was a DIY ERIC filter, he/we mainly talked about pond building.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post
    Andy nice to hear and I can think back when I was 30 year old and had 2 young children. Wish I could do it over again. I was so lucky to have settled in the best country in the world and lived through what is likely to be the best times for mankind. We celebrated the new year with the same friends for the last 48years but there are only three couples left which was sad. To day I was greeted with a winter wonderland and took my dogs for an HR walk.
    You reminded me of a graphic designer that hired me for a photo shoot back in the eightys. THis involved arial photography and hireing a float plane with door removed. He wrote the cheques and I forwarned him. I lost a few days time he lost a lot more. My advice in these difficult times is to forget about Koi till you have paid of your house. Or may be just buy Waddys books and study them for some time.
    Before anything is manufactored a carefull study should be made of the market and the product. Even before the recession the koi market had a downturn in Britain this creates a high risk factor going in to this field.
    So selling has to be done outside of Britain. A network of distributers needs to be set up or find ones that are willing to take on another product
    One big factor is shipping and that is by container. To fill a container one might have to arrange shipment with a competitors product. Certainly no distributer would want somone that criticises his other products. To manufacture anything at all one has to have volume enough to run the plant at a minimum of 70% capacity. Neither could you ship one single filter to California from Britain as it would cost at least 5 times for a comparable filter in the US. Which brings us to the feasibility of competing
    against a US manufactorer. I would say very difficult for a British company right now.You must understand that in $value the US still the leader in manufactoring. Making matters worse is the fact that the US $ has dropped and its citizens are mortgaged for at least the next generation.
    In conclusion I would advise you to hold on to your pennies as the world was in a desperate situation and took desperate mesures which are still unproven.
    Regards
    Eugene
    Thanks Eugene,

Whereabouts in the UK did you live? and that plane job sounds great, most design studios do not get to do photo shoots anymore, most clients have their own digital camera's and send the bad shots and ask you to use them instead!

I love where I live, nice quiet area for the kids, the pond build is going to be spread over the 6 - 8 months just incase my families situation becomes worse at any point I can just stop spending.

I think the best way to decide what best suits oneself is to visit a lot of koi ponds and talk with the owners about their maintenance practices. One learns that a lot of different approaches exist, that many work and all are imperfect. It becomes easier to select what best suits your location and lifestyle when you see the choices for yourself. Joining a club makes it easy to gain the exposure. The internet is a great source of information, but cannot substitute for the real world learning of seeing for yourself.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast