Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Merry X-Mas to me

I peeked at the other Videos which brought me to my question . The Showa of yours seems to have the Frame of a Koi that might find it hard to reach a Giant Size . Knowing what you know about the Breeder , do they have Oyago that produce larger size koi then others on a regular basis ? Is this the typical body frame (your Showa) that the breeder would expect from that Parent set ?

Please understand I think your Showa is Outstanding . I looked for another Showa in the videos with the same frame and couldn't find one . Which made me decide to ask the question . I'll take it that on your visit you saw other Showa with this same frame .

Congrats on the Christmas Gift , I got a New Pump for my TT .
    President : GLK&GS
    Officer : NMZNA
    Certified Judge : AKJA

Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    The Showa of yours seems to have the Frame of a Koi that might find it hard to reach a Giant Size .

Troy, what do you consider "GIANT"?

70cm, 75cm, 80cm, 85cm, 90cm???

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    First of all, I am getting tired of hearing that Santa got someone this or Santa got someone that. C'mon people, we are all adults here and know that Santa DOES NOT exist! Now that we have gotten this fact straight, the question is, "how was Tom able to acquire such a specimen of a nishikigoi for Xmas?" Here is a multiple choice question:
    How could you say that about Santa? Have you tried telling your kids there are NO such things as Santa? If so that better be you the kids saw underneath the mistle-toe last nite with the wife??

Q: How did Tom acquire this awesome Dainichi showa?
    By getting a great connection and having a great personality doesn't hurt either.

1. As stated by Tom, he did nothing but take care of the kids....so his so-called "Sugar Mama" got him the showa.
    NO! I did not go to Japan, just a business trip that happen to be in NARITA and very close to Japan.

2. This is a Dainichi showa acquired from the Mano brothers so maybe Tom has a special relationship with either Futoshi or Shigeru. The question is, is the relationship "special" enough?!
    What do you think?

3. Hardworking man with an annual income in the......seven figures.
    Hard working, you better believe it. Seven figures? Your talking about our other good friend . The man was offered a Dainichi "TATEGOI"!!!!! and he passed it up.

4. There's plenty of banks in Texas and Tom was a mean, lean, quick drawing, trigger fingering Texas Outlaw back in the days.
    Dude that was way back in the days. Now days all I'm drawing is a paycheck to the wife every week.

So Tom, what is the correct answer?!
    All I can say is money can talk really big and everything else is just talk, so bring alot of it with you next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Troy, what do you consider "GIANT"?

70cm, 75cm, 80cm, 85cm, 90cm???

Giant ? 90cm , a 36"+ koi to me is a Giant Koi . My guess is the Koi will reach around 28" tops . I have no problem if i'm wrong , it's only a guess . Here to learn Boys , Here To Learn .

From past Threads it has been said here that koi of this age shouldn't be holding their weight in the belly like this yet . This is where i'm coming from . Because there is so much more info about this koi them most (Oyago , Etc.) i'll go with whatever the owner says he has info on and not question it .

Note To Self : Don't Mess with Texas (Or Nancy) .

Daihonmei
    yep headache we see the same thing....a koi fabulous in every way but one.........er two.

A great koi for the here and now.

I'd love to be wrong..I'd like to see that pattern and skin on a 32 inch koi with a tail tube that can align with that thick body

Is that x-mas gift Showa staying in Japan or coming home?

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    Giant ? 90cm , a 36"+ koi to me is a Giant Koi . My guess is the Koi will reach around 28" tops . I have no problem if i'm wrong , it's only a guess . Here to learn Boys , Here To Learn .

From past Threads it has been said here that koi of this age shouldn't be holding their weight in the belly like this yet . This is where i'm coming from . Because there is so much more info about this koi them most (Oyago , Etc.) i'll go with whatever the owner says he has info on and not question it .

Note To Self : Don't Mess with Texas (Or Nancy) .
    Troy from what I know "Kokugyo" bloodline is only 4 yrs old and for Dainichi to say how good the bloodline is, it has to be at least 5yrs old to determine that. I have a kokugyo I bought as nisai last year at 23" now sansai and is 26" still with the big body. (Will post pics later)

Like you I'm not sure how big this showa will get, but I will trust the breeders eyes and wait to see how she grows next year. I'm keeping her in Japan for one season to see what kind of growth she can get compare to the other showa I own now. We are all learning here so mistakes will teach us to get it right the next time.

Daihonmei
    Luke I think you and headache are half right. This is a very classic Dainichi showa body. My buddy Kostie had one that could have passed for this one's big sister. Also a woman in Texas had two indentical bodied Dainichi showa in her collection that are very similar in body too this fish. The body is readily identifiable. These bodies tend to stay 'cobby' and bull dogish. As full adults they can appear a little too bulky in the shoulder for some's taste. But showa, as a concept, is all about the impression of power so the body works. As massive as the body is however, they usually don't break 30 inches. But they always show as 'bigger than they are' fish.
    In my opinion this fish will reach 28-29 inches, but will compete well against a 30-32 inch fish due to body line impression.
    So this fish is finished in terms of color but if the color holds as the fish grows the fish can be considered a tategoi and a 'teen' version of the classic big bodied Dainichi showa.
    The decline in this fish will be in the breaking of the sumi windows over time. Hopefully she will have a long run before that inevitable event.
    Love the fish! JR

I'm jumping on the "nobodies that good" bandwagon
    I'm putting my money on a really big bribe being paid to a well connected elf
    The face and the frame rock it for me. Everything else is just gravy

Daihonmei
    I'd be extremely grateful if I could see photos of this koi when it was younger...I just feel like the red on the face is not through growing/spreading....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast