Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ERIC Owners

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigjohn View Post
    On a serious note though, could you imagine having to take all those brushes out of his koi house every week to power wash them, then put them all back into the Erip's. The logistics of keeping that system going is going to be horrible. The owner could of had 7 Nexus 300's and have them all sparkling clean within 30 minutes having a nice coffee in between. What worries me about brushes is the hygiene factor as all the water is filtered or strained through the fish waste prior to the bio section, this must be unpleasant for the koi. Great thread though as the maintenance of a system is very very important because in 2010 we are all very busy people and it's going to be the koi that suffer if we feel that we have to put of cleaning our filters till we can gather the energy to get the power wash out, or get on our hands and knees to pull pipes etc.
    As I've said before, I will give everyone a true and honest report on the performance of the ERIC filter as soon as it is installed in my pond. Why the
    big uproar? A threat somewhere? Hmmmmm!

Suzy

Daihonmei
    here again i give koi keepers to much credit...
    The reason I "bumped" the thread while quoting the first post, was to remind the veiwers that this thread is not the place to talk about the WAD Filter as Little Johnson is doing. The intent of this thread is also not to create a little ***** fest as Andy and the lil French pastry started to do ( My Mi a Moaner at least pulled out of the dive and brought it back to the original intent with her proclamation that she will when she can)...
    I felt by putting the first post on this thread that the Posting would not denigrate into everyone adding their worthless two cents..
    I should have just said, "Shut the hell up unless you have a WADDY up and running and can tell us about...and That is directed at the 3.5 of you (as my dream of seeing Mon Cherry in a french maid out fit leaning over the Wad and pulling the stand pipe.
    Last edited by luke frisbee; 02-01-2010 at 11:18 AM.

Fry
    Hi Suzy,

Please do not take this the wrong way but have you got your pond set up for easy maintenance with the Eric, by this I mean:

• Have you added a tap and hose pipe near your pond.
    • Do you have storage for your powerwasher to be housed near your pond.
    • Do you have a power socket for your power washer located near your pond.
    • Do you have a bracket to fix your brushes so they wont get blown all over your lawn when powerwashing.
    • Have you installed drainage for the waste that comes of your brushes.
    • Have you installed splash barriers to contain the filth when blasting.
    • Have you got an area with plenty of working room in order to lift your brush chamber out as it will get very heavy when full of fish waste, and you need to bend your knees and lift with your back.
    • Good access for pulling your standpipe etc.
    Koi waste is very heavy, as you know if a koi eats 1kg of food it excretes 3kg of waste, so please watch your back.

As you being a novice koi keeper, prior to you setting up your new pond system it is essential for you to look into these things, because you want to build it right the first time. With the eric the filters brushes will need power washing once a week and are high maintenance and messy which I know you state does not bother you at all. But don't make work for yourself Suzy try and get everything installed for easy maintenance now so you have more time for your koi on those hot summer days. (cause thats what it's all about when it boils down to it) You will be pleased for years to come, if you get it all set up at the construction stage, because sometimes you just want to get your pond maintenance out of the way when it's cold and raining or if you have the flu etc.

The Eric poses no threat to me, as I could quite easly make one myself for $200, it is just a box with some simple pipe work and japanese matting in a block formation.

I am eager to see how it works out as I might make one myself which would be pump fed after my Nexus unit hence eliminating the brush chamber and the water would then go straight into the biological area and then having a gravity return back to the pond.

Suzy did Peter specify that you have a 3inch drain installed as from experience a 4inch bottom drain requires at least 2,000 ish gallons an hour through it, or it is not effective as the waste settles in the drain and does not enter the mechanical chamber.

There is no better feeling than seeing your koi getting to jumbo size and cruising the pond. Much better than valium.

There is no reason at all why you won't have a great filter and with the eric as long as you put the work in.

All the best

John

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    here again i give koi keepers to much credit...
    The reason I "bumped" the thread while quoting the first post, was to remind the veiwers that this thread is not the place to talk about the WAD Filter as Little Johnson is doing. The intent of this thread is also not to create a little ***** fest as Andy and the lil French pastry started to do ( My Mi a Moaner at least pulled out of the dive and brought it back to the original intent with her proclamation that she will when she can)...
    I felt by putting the first post on this thread that the Posting would not denigrate into everyone adding their worthless two cents..
    I should have just said, "Shut the hell up unless you have a WADDY up and running and can tell us about...and That is directed at the 3.5 of you (as my dream of seeing Mon Cherry in a french maid out fit leaning over the Wad and pulling the stand pipe.

Luke

Please try not to get too frustrated my dear fellow, you throwing your toys out of your pram will not help man nor fish. There really is no need for name calling and I am sure no one on this furum wants to hear your disgusting sexual fantasies about you bending over the wad and pulling pipes etc.

John

Honmei
    Hi Suzy,

Please do not take this the wrong way but have you got your pond set up for easy maintenance with the Eric, by this I mean:

• Do you have a bracket to fix your brushes so they wont get blown all over your lawn when powerwashing.
    • Have you got an area with plenty of working room in order to lift your brush chamber out as it will get very heavy when full of fish waste, and you need to bend your knees and lift with your back.
    Koi waste is very heavy, as you know if a koi eats 1kg of food it excretes 3kg of waste, so please watch your back.

As you being a novice koi keeper, prior to you setting up your new pond system it is essential for you to look into these things, because you want to build it right the first time. With the eric the filters brushes will need power washing once a week and are high maintenance and messy which I know you state does not bother you at all. But don't make work for yourself Suzy try and get everything installed for easy maintenance now so you have more time for your koi on those hot summer days. (cause thats what it's all about when it boils down to it) You will be pleased for years to come, if you get it all set up at the construction stage, because sometimes you just want to get your pond maintenance out of the way when it's cold and raining or if you have the flu etc.

The Eric poses no threat to me, as I could quite easly make one myself for $200, it is just a box with some simple pipe work and japanese matting in a block formation.

I am eager to see how it works out as I might make one myself which would be pump fed after my Nexus unit hence eliminating the brush chamber and the water would then go straight into the biological area and then having a gravity return back to the pond.

Suzy did Peter specify that you have a 3inch drain installed as from experience a 4inch bottom drain requires at least 2,000 ish gallons an hour through it, or it is not effective as the waste settles in the drain and does not enter the mechanical chamber.

There is no better feeling than seeing your koi getting to jumbo size and cruising the pond. Much better than valium.

There is no reason at all why you won't have a great filter and with the eric as long as you put the work in.

All the best

John
    Let me start this by first bringing my post from the other thread on the subject over:

Nothing personal or pointed at you here Luke but I have watched this "dribble" over "opinions" concernings filters throughout this thread (by many), on this board, and even other boards. Frankly, they are simply personal attacks at Peter. The facts are as follows:

There are MANY types of filters for koi ponds and each have their own positives and negatives.

The multi chamber system that Luke labeled as the Ballou filter was not designed by Burt. Truth be known, the original, so many years ago was in fact designed by Peter and then first mass produced in the UK and only later came to the US (and then included in the AKCA koi pond and filter guides).

People tend to support the filters that they choose and as much of that support is based on ego as in the functionality of that specific type/brand of filter.

Many critics of one filter or another can also typically come from the mis use/improper installation of that filter (any filter) as well.

Once one fully understands filter mechanics (which many do not) then a more informed position can made.

I am not going to get drawn into the ERIC bashing. I will say that I have absolutely no doubt that the filter itself performs as described when set up as described....as does a Nexus, as does a Bakki Shower and many other types/brands of filters.

Is there some "Marketing" done in describing an ERIC? Of Course! But then again, what filter hasn't? The Bakki Shower with its Far Infarred Rays? LOL Now that was "Marketing"!

Kinda sad to see one hit anon wonders come in and stir the pot on a dead thread, just to watch the "piling on" to begin again.
    Now "BigJohn," I used to have brushes, many years ago. I never once, EVER had to use a power washer to clean them so suggesting such is simply a bunch of crap. Now, that being said, I don't have an ERIC. I do have a Nexus, and swear by it. BUT, that being said, even with an EAsy, I have to spray down the media in the Easy and flush it three times to get it thoroughly clean. So while you take your "pot shots" at the ERIC, you may, for sake of honesty, compare apples to apples instead of just saying you hate oranges.

Suzy,
    Like Luke, I will be waiting to hear some honest feedback concerning ERIC.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Banned
    Hi Suzy,

All the best

John
    John,

Thanks for your reply and your great advice. I have had my pond since last
    February, and my Koi since April. My present filter requires daily care and work, and I am willing to do this if necessary, as we all are. I possess all of the items that you have suggested and thank heavens I have the means to clean my present system, and that on an almost daily basis.I have only four Koi in my pond at present, and will not introduce more into my pond until my new filtration system is installed.

I really believe that it will work for me as I wish, and will be very happy to keep you informed of the results.

Thanks again....Suzy

Banned
    Luke

Please try not to get too frustrated my dear fellow, you throwing your toys out of your pram will not help man nor fish. There really is no need for name calling and I am sure no one on this furum wants to hear your disgusting sexual fantasies about you bending over the wad and pulling pipes etc.

John
    Don't worry, John, I'm used to Luke's paranoia.I only wish for true and healthy discussion on these filter options, and am grateful for the input of those who are experienced in Koi ponds.I am certain that my choice is the right one. If this is the case,I will be happy to announce it on this forum.if I am wrong,I will crawl back with my tail between my legs!!!

I am in wonder that the remarks of some are allowed to continue on these
    forums! I decidedly have much more to learn. And not just about Koi keeping! But this is not the first time that such remarks have been made.
    'Tis much easier to get Koi shit off brushes than get some folks from dissing others!

Will keep your former remarks in mind. Thanks again.

Suzy

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    Let me start this by first bringing my post from the other thread on the subject over:

Now "BigJohn," I used to have brushes, many years ago. I never once, EVER had to use a power washer to clean them so suggesting such is simply a bunch of crap. Now, that being said, I don't have an ERIC. I do have a Nexus, and swear by it. BUT, that being said, even with an EAsy, I have to spray down the media in the Easy and flush it three times to get it thoroughly clean. So while you take your "pot shots" at the ERIC, you may, for sake of honesty, compare apples to apples instead of just saying you hate oranges.

Suzy,
    Like Luke, I will be waiting to hear some honest feedback concerning ERIC.
    Steve,

Gotta disagree with you here. I have brushes installed and they do need power washing. I do mine daily because I'm a little OCD about my pond. You may be able to do it without a pressure washer, but it takes a lot more water and decent tap pressure to get them clean. I decided to get a little electric power washer because I feel I already go through enough water with my water changes, and thought it would be better to use less gallons for the same job.

Perhaps you had different brushes? Mine are the Black Knight ones....??
    Or perhaps you had a vortex/settlement prior to the brushes?

I'm sorry, but mine do not come clean with a shake. The need pressurized, concentrated water flow to come clean, and the crap does fly when I'm doing it.

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
    Don't worry, John, I'm used to Luke's paranoia.I only wish for true and healthy discussion on these filter options, and am grateful for the input of those who are experienced in Koi ponds.I am certain that my choice is the right one. If this is the case,I will be happy to announce it on this forum.if I am wrong,I will crawl back with my tail between my legs!!!

I am in wonder that the remarks of some are allowed to continue on these
    forums! I decidedly have much more to learn. And not just about Koi keeping! But this is not the first time that such remarks have been made.
    'Tis much easier to get Koi shit off brushes than get some folks from dissing others!

Will keep your former remarks in mind. Thanks again.

Suzy
    Sometimes I wonder if the Lukester isn't going for a new worlds record for the number of forums he's been banned from The sexual innuendo directed toward you alone is pretty off the map even for him, but this forum is not heavily moderated. Jim and Brian have full time "real world" duties to attend to and neither the time nor the patience to spend their every waking minute moderating his posts.

Bottom line where you are concerned... You're handling him just fine without any interference from a heavy handed mod... Keep us posted on YOUR results as time passes and maybe something of value can come from this mess
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Enough if this crap. When someone actually has an ERIC feel free to start a thread.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12