Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spa heater for the pond ???

Spa heater for the pond ???

Just curious if anyone has incorporated a spa, or hot tub heater for their pond? I know there's the expensive Therma-koi det up and the gas water heater one as well. Just seems to me that these spa heaters and there set up would be perfect? They have titanium housings and can even control ozonators, pumps, etc. Anyone have any input on this subject?

MCA
    You can route pond water through a pool/spa heater directly if....the pipes inside are not copper....(stainless..etc.).

Another route is to use a spa/pool heater or tankless hot water heater as the heat source on one side of a heat exchanger...and pond water on the other side of the exchanger. This keeps the pond water seperate from the water (and maybe antifreeze) in the heater seperate from each other.

You can find thread here and other BBSs about folks using koi pond heater systems they have purchased or DIYed. I would guess most are fueled by gas (NG or propane) tankless hot water heaters.

And of course you can purchase all sorts of electric units as well. Lots of options depending on your budget, pond size, location (zone), and DIY abilities.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Really was just wondering but the need is not really there since I live in southeast TX. I appreciate the advice because I just knew someone has done it before or tried it. I built my pond, patio covers, and did all the plumbing myself so I'm sure I can come up with something to keep water temps at 60f consistently.

Here's some pics of the TT I finished 2 wks ago. Next month moving all the components to the back of the waterfalls. Pouring a concrete slab and building a flowing river to the pond. Also will incorporate a Hayward pool filter with Matala pressurized going to the TT.

Just another step in this wonderful journey.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spa heater for the pond ???-bakki-shower-001.jpg   Spa heater for the pond ???-bakki-shower-002.jpg   Spa heater for the pond ???-bakki-shower-003.jpg   Spa heater for the pond ???-bakki-shower-004.jpg   Spa heater for the pond ???-bakki-shower-005.jpg  

Spa heater for the pond ???-bakki-shower-006.jpg   Spa heater for the pond ???-bakki-shower-007.jpg  

MCA
    A few years ago we lived in Plano, TX. Steve and Cheryl Childers also lived in the area and we were in the same club. Steve used the hot side of their hot water heater to provide the heat source to a heat exchanger for their 17,000 pond. I was getting ready to do likewise on our smaller pond when we got the offer to move to Atlanta.

As I remember Ray Jordan and at least one other in the San Antonio area have pond heaters based on gas tankless hot water heaters.

If you are not already, be sure to join a club in Houston. The Lone Star and Moto Kara KoiKai clubs are HQed in Houston. Both clubs have great folks!

Texas

• Austin Pond Society - Glen Hubenthal 512-863-4356 E Mail Web Site
    • Amarillo Koi Club - Gary Floyd 806-353-4798 E Mail Web Site
    • Dallas Koi Kichi Group - Arley Hulstrand 940-387-7438 E Mail Web Site
    • Koi & Watergarden Club of North Texas - John Ames 214-337-1961 E Mail Web Site
    • Las Pampas Koi & Watergarden Society - Loyd Waters 806-665-6466 E Mail
    • Lone Star Koi Club - Houston - Royce Christian 281-367-2025 E Mail Web Site
    Moto Kara KoiKai - David Waller 713-520-6544E Mail Web Site
    North Texas Watergarden Society - Joe 971-994-1140 E Mail Web Site
    Southwest Koi & Pond Society - El Paso - Ralph Smith E Mail Web Site
    Texas Koi & FG Soc - San Antonio - Ray Jordan E mail Web Site
    Water Garden Club of South Texas - Beverly Moore 210-403-2947 E Mail Web Site

Lonestar KOI club here I come!!!

Jumbo
    Where I live natural gas is not available to me. And i can get more BTUs from a buck of electricity than a buck of propane. So I use the Coates elec. heaters. They are SS and come in 1.5 KW/115 volt, and 5.5 KW and 11 KW/220 volt.

Where I live natural gas is not available to me. And i can get more BTUs from a buck of electricity than a buck of propane. So I use the Coates elec. heaters. They are SS and come in 1.5 KW/115 volt, and 5.5 KW and 11 KW/220 volt.

So it can be done. I'm sure that operating this heater to maintain a minimal temp wouldn't cost as much as you'd think. Being they are designed to heat water over 100f and all I need is 60f? Thanks for chiming in Birdman

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by pjlavell View Post

So it can be done. I'm sure that operating this heater to maintain a minimal temp wouldn't cost as much as you'd think. Being they are designed to heat water over 100f and all I need is 60f? Thanks for chiming in Birdman
    I guess that depends on what your paying per KW. I pay 9 cents a KW so it's isn't bad. I use the 1.5 KW for my QT tank and the 5.5 KW for my 6700 gallon main pond. And they are cheap enough to buy so that offsets operating cost some what. One thing, they have low pressure shut offs, so they will not work with allot of our low pressure pumps. I sell these heaters and I have to adjust the low pressure shut off before it goes out the door. Once the low pressure shut off has been properly adjusted they will work just fine. But they still have to be installed on the pump outlet, not in a gravity flow line.

I will be running a 1.5hp pool pump from the bottom of the pond. I can't go gravity feed because of the way it was built last year. So this will be "in line before the mech filter of after,? and will the pool pump be sufficient pumping around 3k gal ph?

MCA
    put the heater/exchanger after all the filtration so as little debris gets inside as possible. Gravity fed versus pump fed really does not matter. filter first...heat second.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast