Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone done cosmetic surgery to their koi?

Never done it, probably never would.

I really don't own a fish that isn't going to be shown. With pond space for 6-8 fish all my inhabitants are all show bound. Some sooner than others. So for me, this would never come up. Plus, there's the whole moral thing. Even if I was able to do a perfect job, I would never even enjoy it in my own pond as I would feel like I "cheated" somehow...

Grant

The perfect answer I was looking for, grant.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
    The perfect answer I was looking for, grant.

Thanks!

I know you were asking for people who had done it, not asking for all those that haven't to chime in with their 2 bits. Just thought I throw that out for the discussion.

Grant

(you're a braver man than I taking scalpel to koi... dont think I'd have the balls to try it... hell, trying the lemon juice vs. secondary hi thing freaked me out)

Sansai
    Ethan25 Can you show us your fish and we can "help" you with some.....( if admin don't mind ) way to do it.

I have taken a shimi off a not so perfect Kohaku before, but never have entered it in a Koi Show....But I have seen a lot of crazy stuff people do to get their not so perfect fish to do well at a koi show.

Quote Originally Posted by nguyen4 View Post
    Ethan25 Can you show us your fish and we can "help" you with some.....( if admin don't mind ) way to do it.

I have already done this, this past summer. My wife purchased teh fish in May I think. Here it was then,

I figured that I'd mess with the head since it was low cost and I had low expectations for it anyway. SO, I just took a razor blade and scraped that little bit of beni on the nose away a little bit. DIdn't take much work.

It took a while, but it cleaned up rather nicely. NO way would I ever put it into a show, but the head looks a ton better without that spot, and hopefully it would now meet someone's expectations for a tancho.

The views I have are completely representative of who I am, and may/may not be representative of clubs I may or may not be a part of.

and here it is now. bad picture, but you can get the idea. It was 6 inches when I did the scraping, now it is 11-12.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has anyone done cosmetic surgery to their koi?-dsc03166.jpg  

I had no intentions of showing it, besides showing it off to my friends around town and family. No doubt, there are other ways of adjusting patterns by removing shimis, a single gin scale, a single black scale, or removing a damaged scale. We trim pectoral fins that are frayed, hoping they come back clean.

So, what is acceptable and what it not? Obviously, this fish had little chance for show purposes then, and I wouldn't bring it now, but what have you or would you do?

Sansai
    It look OK but I think second hi will remain there.

I don't consider trimming damaged edges off pec fins as cosmetic surgery. This is done to keep the damage from progressing. I had to trim fins and tails on several of my long fins one year in the winter after I burned my fish with Superverm. The edges of the fins were badly damaged and had SAP growing on them. Trimming was done to prevent further damage and it worked. It took several years for the fins to grow back out normally. Trimming an oversized pec fin might be considered cosmetic though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast