Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Critique my local bred Shiro Utsuri

Wayne, the last one you posted is a pretty good example of showa roots shining through. Beni on the cheeks, motoaka, and scattered around the body, even extending down to (or possibly below) the lateral line. A failed Showa rather than a Shiro. A good piece to contrast with eds.

eds.
    I wouldn't worry at all about the head on yours. They are always a crap shoot at best, and we've seem some dirtier heads than this clean up beyond belief Stray bits of hi are always an added gamble, but these seem to be tiny, weak, and isolated. Keep her far from foods with color enhancers and you'll diminish the odds of having issues crop up. It looks like you've got good motoguro in both the pec and anal fins which I take as a good sign and the overall look of it seems to show good luster, a nice body line, and good growth. I'd be happy with it at this stage of the game.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

eds
    Sansai
    Cheers Larry. I'm certainly very happy with her at the moment. She wouldn't be in my pond if it weren't for those little red spots so if they go and the shiro improves to look like her 'sister's' then I'll be ecstatic.

Ed

Hi Eds

A few keepers than i known (Including myself) in SA believe in feeding their koi honey or properlis to bring the white, white shiro out and to take the creamy colour away.

I have also read that minerals in the water is very important for young tosai to get a strong bone structure and thick skin. So i like to keep lots of montmorilite clay in my pond with young tosai but its also important to note that clay and minerals push up the TDS of water and that has a negative impact on their growth so dont keep the water like that for too long.

These things might be old wife tales but so far i believe that it has worked for me.

eds
    Sansai
    Just had to update this to show the progress this koi is making. The head pattern has changed loads! Look at these photos today compared to those from a few months ago!

I've also taken some photos of the sides and a close up of the tail showing the only trace of red I can still see on the fish - the others seem to have disappeared at the moment!

What do you guys all reckon? I'm getting a bit excited with it's progress!

Ain't it sweet to see a Shiro move from to
    Quite a bit of transformation on the face, but that had to come. The only real question was how and when. Time is still your friend and I'd look for the smattering of secondary hi to continue to weaken as the fish matures.

eds
    Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post

Ain't it sweet to see a Shiro move from to
    Quite a bit of transformation on the face, but that had to come. The only real question was how and when. Time is still your friend and I'd look for the smattering of secondary hi to continue to weaken as the fish matures.
    Cheers, It's been great to watch and a really pleasing fish to grow on. The face has already changed so much so looking forward to seeing what else will come through. The white is improving nicely too so after the whole summer in this greenhouse pond I'm hoping it'll be nearing 40cm and with nice pure white.

I'm surprised no-one's asked about the breeder though! I did put it in a 'locally-bred' shiro thread for a reason...

Or have you all figured that out???

Speaking only for myself, making an issue of "who" the local breeder is can be prejudicial for some and depending on who it is it may cause some to hesitate to speak up at all. There is also the issue of unwittingly providing free advertising when we have sponsors who pay for that privilege. The Koi is doing a pretty good job of speaking for itself and I'm sure if anyone's curiosity is piqued you'll get a pm
    For those of us on the west side of the Atlantic there is currently no chance of importing a Koi from the UK anyway no matter who it comes from

eds
    Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Speaking only for myself, making an issue of "who" the local breeder is can be prejudicial for some and depending on who it is it may cause some to hesitate to speak up at all. There is also the issue of unwittingly providing free advertising when we have sponsors who pay for that privilege. The Koi is doing a pretty good job of speaking for itself and I'm sure if anyone's curiosity is piqued you'll get a pm
    For those of us on the west side of the Atlantic there is currently no chance of importing a Koi from the UK anyway no matter who it comes from
    True and fair enough, I understand where you're coming from and I wouldn't want to upset anyone. I suppose the bloodline is more important, although whenever a Japanese koi is discussed the breeder seems to be so important, yet ones bred outside of Japan less so.

Anyway I'd buy from this breeder again!

Oops!, never even thought of that. Im so use to posting breeder, dealer and bloodline on my own local forum that i never even thought about it.

Eds, Your SU is filling out nicely and the sumi is also coming up. The shiro also looks nice. Now you just need to wait for the head to whiten and that hi spot to dissapear.

I will bowl my tosai that started the thread on the 5th of March again for an update as it would then be amonth since the photos was taken. SU is such amazing koi to watch. I have another SU its a nissai and 50cm, what amazes me about it is how the sumi is moving around on its head. The head use to be totally black but its broken up now and more and more white is coming out.

Papabear what is "motoaka"? Yeah that last shiro i posted with the tobi hi turned out a real dud...I sold it 2 months ago. It was always a battle to keep the hi down...not that i could do much about it.

Moto Aka is how some refer to the red version of Motoguro(black). I've heard others say Akaguro, but since I don't speak Japanese I can only tell you that Aka is one of the Japanese words for red.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast