Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need help picking a Koi breeding pair

Fry

I need help picking a Koi breeding pair

Hi, I am Joe from NY, USA. I have had experience with koi for about a year or so now. I would like to start breeding koi for my first time this year. I have read a book on breeding, read online articles, watched online videos, and check forum posts. I am ready to start, but I have a few questions about what type of koi I should try to breed. My question for you guys is, what two types of koi should I try to breed? I don't care what type I breed, really. I would like to know what is the rarest and most valuable type to own? Please help me pick a pair. I have spotted a 2 1/2 year old 16" kohaku male and a 16" 2 1/2 year old female kohaku tancho female, but I still want other suggestions.

I also have another question. If I end up with koi I don't want to keep, but I don't want to kull either, what can I do with them. I am thinking about giving them to petsmarts and local pond supplies companies, but still not sure. I guess I have always been a softy on killing any kind of animal. lol. Thanks guys, and looking forward to hearing from you!

-Joe

Fry
    Here's the pictures another pair of koi I am thinking of buying:

http://www.kodamakoifarm.com/images_...810A_006_s.jpg

Kodama Koi Farm, Highest quality Nishikigoi only from Niigata.

Let me know what you think.

-Joe

The first fish is a Showa, not a Kohaku.

Before we get into this, what type of facilities do you have for breeding and fry?

Sorry, welcome to Bito!

Fry
    Hi. The pictures of the two koi weren't what I was referring to in my first post. Also, I have a 2000 gallon indoor pond for breeding, spawning nets, excellent filtration, airstones, pumps, along with another 8000 gallon indoor pond. I also have the room and funds to build a 30'x30'x48" indoor pond if necessary. Thanks.

-Joe

Sansai
    Mind you this is not from personal experience with fish farming, but just from reading about it from the breeders who post on the forums. If all you want to do is sell to pet shops w/o concern for quality, go at it, but don't expect to make a lot of money. Establishing a breeding program takes time and experience. Many of the breeders on the forums document time spent in Japan or apprenticeships to learn the craft. Breeding koi is not a get rich quick scheme. The people who pay large sums for their koi tend to buy from established breeders who have a track record of good koi.
    I t would be great to have another good American breeder, but it appears to be a long road.
    There was a thread I read somewhere about a British guys attempt at breeding. Does any body remember some thing like this and maybe have a reference?
    Best of luck. WE will eagerly await pics of your fish.

Sounds great!

I'll leave the details to someone more knowledgeable about this. The main things I'll contribute are genetics and conformation. Pattern is not very important in oyagoi.

Good luck.

Fry
    Gloria, I think we have a misunderstanding. I am concerned for quality. The reason for selling to local pet shops is for me to not have to kill the "misfit" fish when I decide to kull them. I will then sell the lesser quality ones to local pet shops. I have no intentions for selling my higher quality ones to pet shops. I mostly plan on donating the lesser quality ones to pet shops for free, and sell the high quality ones to koi owners. Thanks, and any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

-Joe

eds
    Sansai
    A quick look at Maurice Cox's website will give you some idea of one way to breed some excellent quality koi.

Here's his introduction,
    Koi UK Ltd.

These pages show his set up - He's added another tunnel on the near end of this now that will be filled with some huge concrete ponds for growing sansai and beyond.
    Koi Farm

And the real work's in the culling and the time that takes. You're going to have a lot of koi to give away to get even a few quality fish.

Fry
    I also plan on selling my future koi online. I plan on selling quality koi, while still making them affordable to everyone. I will be selling my first batch of koi babies this year sometime in the summer time, and I will be offering them to you guys first. I will post updates, pictures, and more info as I progress with my koi. I will probably have an asking price of $5 per 2-3" gosanke mix if I decide to breed in that direction. I think that is a fair price for a first time breed. Let me know if any of you would be interested in that.

Also, if anyone would be interested in taking the lesser-quality kulled koi off of my hands, I would ship them to you for free, with you paying the shipping and handling. Thanks.

-Joe

Joe, sorry to rain on your dream, but here's reality...

If you want quality koi, take the money you would spend on breeding and go buy a couple. The idea that a backyard breeder will produce quality fish is as unrealistic as depending on PowerBall as a retirement plan.

If you want to make a buck, put the money you would spend in an interest-bearing bank account. You will make more than selling koi, even with current interest rates.

If you want to breed koi for fun, but can't bring yourself to cull from newborn fry stage on up, buy a lot of tissues. You'll be crying when the population collapses.

Please understand that the most experienced breeders in this country produce millions of fry to get a hundred worth taking up space. And, the thousands of small tosai sold off to wholesalers do not bring enough to pay the cost of producing them. Without rigorous, heartless culling, they would lose even more.

But, if you just want the fun of breeding, go for it. Wallow in it. It is amazing to raise up a speck of life. You'll love 'the one' that turns out best, even if not very good. You will want to keep her forever. She will likely be the most expensive koi you own when you consider all the costs incurred, but if she gives pleasure for a dozen years, it will be worth it.

My home-bred Hariwake had her 16th season last year. Others far nicer have come and gone. [The low-class gal was a bit short of 32 inches in '08. She's still 'my little baby'. ]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I need help picking a Koi breeding pair-junior-nov-08-31-003.jpg  
    Last edited by MikeM; 02-18-2010 at 08:37 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast